“COUNTRY ATMOSPHERE”

Good for: Child-friendly
Lake Winola, Pennsylvania
“COUNTRY ATMOSPHERE”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We take the family and friends once every 2 or 3 months The atmosphere is very nice if you like country and antiques. We do. The food is average. When I am in the mood for Prime Rib I usually eat here. The last order I had was not as good as I had expected. The bisque is a favorite. Prices are fair for most of the meals. They have a bar for drinks, but we never ordered any. I have to say the fresh baked banana bread is great.The service is OK but could be better. It depends on who you get. I would recommend the Fireplace but I could not rave about it.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank ALONIW

Warwick, New York
“Why does anyone eat here?”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

So here we are traveling through the backwoods of Eastern PA when someone says, let's find a place to eat. We check with a local who says to go to the Fireplace, a local favorite on the outskirts of town. No kidding, not like you are going to find this off some highway exit heading towards anywhere. Don't get me wrong, I have eaten in many restaurants off the beaten track so I know what to expect. When we arrived, there was not enough wait staff so we waited at the bar for a table. But no bartender so no drinks. You want to talk about the rudest hostess you ever met, almost comical. Finally got a table and food was mostly disappointing. Prime Rib looked to be the best out of what everyone else ate. Don't get the fish! We did talk to some other folks upon leaving and learned there were better places to eat in town. Oh well. Should have checked TA reviews but must have been brain dead.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank BackinNY
Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania
“Good, but...”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My parents love to come here. My dad has always enjoyed their seared scallops. Their bisque has also always been a favorite. On the other hand, although the food has always been decent, I never feel right the day after. As long as dad likes to go there for his birthday, we will go, but I will not be eating here any other time.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Lets_Go72008
NJ
“Disappointed Birthday Dinner :(”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

After spending the day at wineries celebrating my birthday we decided to stop in for a nice birthday dinner. I must say that the service was very good. We did ask how the prime rib was and the waitress did say that there was a lot of fat, I was just looking forward to having a prime rib so I ordered a larger cut thinking that it would have less fat but I was wrong. It was about 70% fat. My fiance ordered the "seared scallops" and they were steamed. The waitress did come back quite often asking how the meal was and she was honest. The food was not good and we will not be going back.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank shellb4
Belmont, California
“A diner nothing more, Stick to diner food to be happy”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I grew up in this area and probably first ate here in 1973 or so. There is a huge menu but you will be most happy if you stick to sandwiches and iced tea or water. Tunkhannock has much better food elsewhere but either service is slow at the better places in town or you will pay significantly more money. Go somewhere else for your prime rib or shrimp and alcohol.

French onion soup in the classic crock (not a cup) is heavy on the cheese and is good if you like that. Their burgers are OK but you have to be very careful and only order them if your party is small, 1-3 people. Otherwise, they make your food(burgers are the first thing they make), stick it under the warming lights until the whole tables food is ready, and your burger bun comes to you completely soaked in burger juice and is pretty much unusable. This never happens to me if i go in a small party. The onion ring and fries sides are huge and are good in an unhealthy sort of fun way. Any vegetables you order will be cooked too much and doused in butter. So, go somewhere else for your healthy food, like the ethnic restaurants further down Rt. 6.

Service can be inconsistent, but what do you expect in a tiny town? Just be prepared for it. At least they are nice people, and they do respond when you ask for something.

• Visited August 2013