“After B & B bummers, Stony Point was a delight. Our room was perfect.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tyrone
Stony Point Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Tyrone B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We had stayed in a couple of B & Bs on a college-visiting tour of Pennsylvania, and I had started to sour on the experience: Odd rooms, weird decor, hacked-together bathrooms, limited TV channels. Give me that bland but predictable hotel/motel experience! So Stony Point was a huge relief. The house is a marvel and impecccably kept. We were in a second-floor suite with two rooms and a bath. Our bedroom was perfect with a comfortable bed and quiet but effectivce air conditioning on a humid day. The reason-to-be for the college visiting was quite happy with his bedroom, in stark contrast to B & Bs of his recent experience. Paul Z, the innkeeper, is gracious and friendly. Breakfast in the roomy dining room was yum. We didn't have much time to explore Tyrone. Historically, an interesting place, but, as far as we could tell, it doesn't have much to offer today for the visitor, unless, perhaps, she is keen on railroad history. Don't expect fine-dining choices for dinner. We ended up at a pizza joint--perfectly fine but just pizza.
If we are ever in the area again, we'll almost certainly go back to Stony Point.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 September 2013

There was a wedding (around 150 people?) at Stony Point right before we arrived. Yet, the house was spotless and the grounds were very neat. From the moment we arrived Paul made us feel welcome. The house is walking distance from downtown, yet you don't really hear traffic noise.

Stony Point is 20 minutes or so from Altoona and State College. If you have business in those areas, skip the stinky over-priced motels and stay at Stony Point B&B. Breakfasts are excellent, too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim H
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stony Point is a stunning stone home in a beautiful setting. Paul, the host, is friendly and eager to share historic details about the property and its Pennsylvania Railroad and Masonic connections. The rooms are spacious and immaculate, and the breakfast is delicious. This is a perfect spot in which to relax in north central Pennsylvania with easy access to State College.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I live in AZ and needed a place to stay while getting my daughter settled at PSU. Mom (grandma) traveled with me and had her heart set on staying at a b&b, so I told her...skeptically...you book it and we'll stay at a b&b. I, being a frequent business traveler and partial to 4+ star hotels, feel compelled to write this review about Stony Point. Our 4 day stay with Paul, innkeeper, changed my mind completely about b&b's.

This is an incredibly beautiful and comfortable home. Paul is a gracious host and makes the most delicious French toast. Our room, the secret library room, was clean, had a very comfortable bed, a private in-room bath with the most luxurious tub I've ever had the pleasure of bathing in, and large windows which I love to have wide open at night while sleeping.

Some of the more engaging features....
* the hymns played by the local church bells on Sunday morning
* a beautiful canopy of trees surrounding the property
* an expansive, comfortable living room with big comfy couches in which to enjoy a movie or the evening news
* History....this home and area is rich with interesting history
* some of the most beautiful light fixtures you've ever seen

I will definitely be staying here every time I visit my daughter! This place is a real find. Now that I'm about to post this I'm having second thoughts because, selfishly, I don't want them to get too busy for me to stay again!

Thank you, Paul!!!!

Room Tip: The hidden library room was very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank WendyKa
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stony Point B&B was the perfect setting for our family vacation. Our family members came all the way from Arizona, New Mexico, and Europe. We were happy to be in such a fabulous house in conveniently located Tyrone. One day we visited Prince Gallitzin State Park, another night we walked to dinner in town, and other days we visited extended family in nearby towns. One evening we all got together around the fire pit at Stony Point and talked for hours. Paul is a fabulous innkeeper who made us all feel at home. The place itself is spacious, clean, and tastefully decorated without being overdone. All the rooms were more than comfortable. And it was great to hear and see the history in the home itself. We would definitely recommend Stony Point. I can't imagine staying in a hotel again after the personal connection we had here.

Room Tip: Just tell Paul what you need and he will do what he can to accommodate you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stony Point B & B was a wonderful stop half way on our cross country drive from Boston to Indianapolis. We were greeted by Paul, who is very friendly and full of knowledge on the beautiful house. The rooms were clean, comfortable and lovely. We felt like we were at our home! Paul will go out of his way to take care of you (rent a movie, help if you forgot something)! Lastly, the breakfast was great!

It is worth noting that if you are the type of traveler who likes high end 4 and 5 star hotels, this B & B may not be for you. It specializes in representing the era it is from and feeling like you are at home. Don't get me wrong, it is really lovely, but It does not have the amenities of a spa or four or five star hotel. If you are up for some history, uniqueness and feeling very welcome, it is your place.

Room Tip: I was traveling with my husband and daughter. There is a suite or apartment on the third floor with...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I decided to do a quick overnight trip this past weekend. I was hoping to find a B & B. I found Stony Point, a gem in Tyrone. Paul, the owner, was amazing. I have never seen a place any cleaner. The rooms were decorated nicely with furniture appropriate for a 1928 home. And, I really do mean home. There was nothing pretentious about it. There is a lot of history to the home and we loved hearing Paul tell us all about it. It is in a great location. It is very peaceful and relaxing. AND, the coffee is great! Breakfast was delicious. Did I say the coffee was great! We would definitely go back to stay here again. If you are ever in the Altoona or State College area it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Stony Point Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!