“A Taste of Britain” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 113 Restaurants in Wayne
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A Taste of Britain is a cozy cafe and tea room. We serve award-winning scones, full afternoon tea, and over 40 types of loose leaf tea. We also offer a full menu of soups, salads, sandwiches, frittatas, and some great British specialties such as pasties and sausage rolls. Browse our retail area to find your favorite imported British foods and candies, as well as tea gifts and accessories. We are open Monday through Saturday from 10 am until 5 pm, but we do stop seating around 4 pm. Reservations are strongly recommended, especially if you're coming at lunchtime. We are available on Sundays for groups of 20-50 guests. We a kid-friendly and offer a child's menu including a child's afternoon tea. We also can accommodate catering orders. Call ahead for tea sandwiches and scones for your next get-together. We can have them boxed and ready for you to pick up, or we can bring the afternoon tea experience to your home, with full-service staffing. We look forward to seeing you!
Annapolis, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Taste of Britain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Beautiful English shop with wonderful inventory of traditional English foods. Cozy tea and bite to eat area but plan ahead for seating. Accommodates gluten diet restrictions. Under a new owner for about a year or so who is warm and accommodating. A wonderful little corner get-a-way for anyone wishing for a moment and taste of England.

Visited June 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Follow the Ladies Who Lunch to Taste of Britain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stumbled on this restaurant last year while checking out the great boutiques in Eagle Village Shopping Center on Rt 30 in Wayne. It was a cold day, and my friend and I were starving and freezing after walking the shopping center looking for spring clothes. We stopped into A Taste of Britain thinking we'd get some tea and warm up. Instead we drank tea, and dined on delicious salads and scones, soup and sandwiches.
If you and your partner agree, you can share a pot of tea for less than 2 smaller pots, and refills are free and frequently offered. The tea is loose, and you must pour it carefully through the strainer. It's a great way to get you to slow down and enjoy the tea.
I highly recommend their salad with butternut squash and goat cheese, it's amazing. And their daily soups are imaginative and tasty. But let's not forget the scones! In the fall I crave their pumpkin scones. Every season has a special scone, so try them all. I like them with lemon curd and raspberry preserves, but even naked these are great scones.
The entry way is a small market featuring food items that Brit's must really miss, so if you love tea, or lunch, you'll want to call and reserve a table here soon. Yum!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Newtown Square, PA
“HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT / HORRIBLE SCONES! / RIP OFF "Pastry" Plate!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

I was really looking forward to trying out this Tea Room. Upon arrival the atmosphere was pleasant, although the wooden chairs are rather uncomfortable and the tables are in rough finish wood that is a bit too rustic for a proper tea room. Tea was no more exciting than what I make at home. The bigger disappointment came in both the scones and the so-called "pastry" plate that was a $10. rip-off!! The scone looked delicious, and was warm. . . until I broke open and the center was dense and cool!! (Frozen and reheated I suspect!) The middle consistency was so lousy that I ripped it out thinking the crisper edges and inside would be yummy with the lemon curd and clotted cream. . . WRONG!! No matter how much I smothered the scone with lemon curd and/or cream, it was STILL the DRIEST thing ever, with a chewing consistency that seemed to turn back into raw batter and not want to chew away. I did politely mention it to the waitress who said she would tell the owner. . . I did not eat it, 80% was left on the plate, yet NO CREDIT of the $4.50 on the bill!! I know there's a fine line in making a proper scone, (Viking Cooking School has a class that teaches how to make the best scones!) often they are not authentic but nonetheless delicious. This thing totally missed the mark - worst one I ever tried.

But I had hope for the "Pastry" plate! WRONG again!! What a loose definition of "PASTRY" - there were no pastries, unless the English define them differently. What it included was 3 tiny chocolate cookies (not worth finishing after a disappointing bite!), 3 "blondie" (brownies) that were so tiny they were less than an inch square and ALSO not worth eating, terrible consistency! Finally there were 3 miniature blueberry muffins that were okay, but I would question whether they were homemade as the batter tasted more like a box mix to me. In fact I have tasted BETTER BOX mixes!! BUT GET THIS: ALL THE SO-CALLED PASTRIES WERE VERY COLD!!! Is that an English tradition? At this point I was so disgusted I didn't bother asking! But what is all this stuff, frozen and then just dished out?
Fortunately we made an early (10:45 AM) reservation because about 15 minutes prior to leaving the noise level in an only 1/2 full place, was like a rowdy bar. There was a group of woman in a side room celebrating something, and I don't mind going out to a lively place, but this was just annoying. Perhaps it wouldn't have been so annoying if the food had been a better experience, but we just couldn't wait to get out of there and we WILL NEVER GO BACK! I don't know how such a lousy place like that can stay in business. Over priced lousy food in a fair atmosphere with uncomfortable seats and an owner that apparently is doing well enough to just not care if you're not satisfied. BE FOREWARNED!! This is a "MUST SKIP!"

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
“Great Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

Wonderful and varied menu in a wonderful setting with fresh brewed teas. Very reasonable prices. Scones were to die for. Excellent selection of sandwiches and salads.

• Visited March 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A little disappointing...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

This was my second visit to A Taste of Britain and I was somewhat disappointed this time. The service was "okay"; although, it took some time to get the check. More disappointing was my food. This time, I ordered the chicken salad on a croissant. The chicken salad was delicious, but the croissant was so hard and stale that it crumbled into pieces on the plate. The scone (cherry almond) was delicious. If I go back, I will stay away from the croissants as I just noticed another reviewer with the same comment. I wish I had noticed this before visiting this time.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to A Taste of Britain? Share your experiences!