“My Favorite Local Place...”
Review of kabab cafe

kabab cafe
Ranked #14 of 114 Restaurants in Wayne
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: in the gateway shopping center off rt 202 near Valley Forge park
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“My Favorite Local Place...”
Reviewed 5 December 2011

MMMMmmmm! I just finished my lunch of Baba Ganoush and baby carrots. I'm at work..but got this to take out from Kabob Cafe. I'm gonna tell you a bit about this, Kabob Cafe, my favorite local place.
First of all, the family who owns this place, and the staff are great. Far is so friendly as is everybody else. Always greeted with a smile, and always full of information when I have any questions to ask--I really feel very comfortable here. It is THAT kind of familial place that is just so charming and great. Don't expect a fancy-schmancy restaurant--because it isn't based on ambiance. Kabob is based on good, basic Persian food and that is what you will get and you will get plenty of it.
The baba ganoush is the best I've ever had--hands down. It doesn't resemble the usual Baba Ganoush--this is nice and light and garlicky, and red and loose, and eggplanty and it is just so great with the fabulous bread they serve. The hummus is excellent as well. I also have to put in a great word for the cauliflower "salad". It is a favorite of mine. I love the crunchiness of the cauliflower, but the dressing is tart and creamy and just refreshing!
The falafel sandwich is also very good as well. We do a lot of take-out from here. They do deliver within a radius, but I actually like to go into Kabob just to visit! The menu isn't a large one but it is substantial.
All the food is extremely good.
May I suggest that the next time you are in Gateway shopping center--perhaps after checking out of TJ Maxx or the Hallmark store--take a little walk over to Kabob Cafe. Even if you are not hungry--go get a menu, or go and order some takeout for later in the day. You really will be pleasantly surprised!
Thank you for reading this--but you will be thanking me when you taste the food;)

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank jarona

Rochester, NY
“Enjoyable Visit- good food”
Reviewed 16 November 2011

No fireworks the evening we were there. Everything seemed to be running smoothly, staff was polite and helpful and cooperative, and they even offered us a small sample of the rice bowl.

Walking by the front of the Kabab Cafe one might think it is a semi fast-food restaurant in a strip mall and walk on. That might be a mistake. It's not "fancy" but clean and nicely decorated. If you look at their web site you get an accurate picture of what the interior looks like (kababcafe.com) and their offerings and prices.

I think lunch is their busy time for workers in near-by offices. We were there about 5-6 PM and there were about 4-6 customers while we were there. A number of phoned in take-outs went out the door.

Food was excellent. My brother had a chicken kabab plate (joojeh); I had a beef patter (barg). Both were excellent and appeared promptly (but then they were not busy). Both were nicely spiced and came with rice and your choice of an interesting side salad. Quantity and quality were just great. I'm sorry I didn't try the falafel as that's often a good test for a middle eastern restaurant.

I'd certainly go back if I were in the neighborhood again.

• Visited November 2011
Devon, Pennsylvania
“Sorry this is a dump”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Please do not waste your time here. Food is bad. Service is worse.

Pennsylvania
“Domestic Violence in the kitchen, fear of finishing meal, still startled”
Reviewed 4 June 2011

PLEASE DO NOT EAT HERE!!! I went for lunch with a friend and we got maybe 3 bites in and all of a sudden heard screaming in the kitchen (so horrible I thought someone was having a heart attack) We turned to the other diners (who had a clear view of the kitchen) and apparently the one guy (who I believed to be the owner) drug the one female employee across the kitchen and into the back area) We did hear hysterical F*** you repeatedly coming from her mouth) When the guy came out, another female patron said to him "you do not treat women that way" He told her that " This is my *** restaurant and I'll treat them however I want" And then he told her that maybe she should *** leave. (the woman was there with her mother and baby girl) We had to leave too, I couldn't stay anywhere near that and my appetite is still gone. (and I'm usually a very good eater!) Please don't support this establishment, I am still shaking, I thought the guy was going to get violent on the other customer too!

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank Kimmie06
Wayne, Pennsylvania
“Homemade and delicious”
Reviewed 16 March 2011

This restaurant is owned by a very nice family who serve delicious Persian dishes. Such a nice change from the usual lunch options. You'll like the beef sandwich called a koobideh and stews. Rice is yummy and side dishes are refreshing. Try the cauliflower. Try something new....

• Visited March 2011

Been to kabab cafe? Share your experiences!