“Disgraceful Dinner”
Review of Matador

Matador
Reserve with OpenTable
Matador is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 117 Restaurants in Wayne
Price range: US$14 - US$28
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lancaster Avenue
Description: Stop in and enjoy the delightful atmosphere along with delicious Tapas and Specialty Spanish dishes that the Matador has to offer.
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have been here before, and the dinners had been worth a return trip. The salads were not chilled, and one was served on a chipped dish. The paella was skimpy, hardly worth the price of $58. Being still hungry, we asked for bread, which turned out to be toasted slivers of bread that were cold. We won't be back.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

The restaurant is a bit dirty and there are spots on all the glassware. I just dont understand why this restaurant can't cook the decent simple food that is on offer on the menu. Everything tastes as if it was defrosted, has too much salt and oil. We like the concept of this restaurant but they just dont execute. We have given it several chances but thats it.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

One of the worst dining experiences of my life. Food was mediocre at best, (for what was served but more on that in a minute) and expensive. I was interested in the seafood paella but at $58, they are crazy. For a comparison, the seafood paella at The Oyster House in Greenwich CT, some of the best paella you'll find anywhere, is $35. I ordered the Chicken and Chorizo paella instead which at $38 is still outrageous. In the mean time we ordered starters which came out as you would expect. Then the entrées came - all but mine. 10 minutes passed, 20 minutes passed and still no paella. Then only update I received was "the kitchen is working really hard on your order". No apology, no "can I get you something else in the mean time", nothing. Finally, I told the waiter that he should take my order off the bill and just bring me the check. I was no longer interested in having my meal and having 5 other people watch me eat. No response from him, he just walked away. 10 minutes later he showed up with the check....and my paella in a box! I told him I didn't want the paella and when I looked at the check, the paella was still on the bill. When I questioned him about it, he told me "you have to pay for the paella". Needless to say, I asked to speak to the Manager who explained that I should have known that paella takes longer to cook and always comes out after the other entrées. I was dumbfounded. That was a first for me. Even if that was true, everyone was completely done eating and I was still waiting. He finally took the paella off the bill but not after giving me more of a hard time. And then he had the audacity to include the automatic gratuity on the bill because we were a party of six. Will never go back there and will tell everyone who asks what kind of service we received and the attitude of the waiter and the Manager. Customer Service at its worst!!!!

2  Thank R C
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We've dined at Matador a few times hoping that the service will improve. A tapas restaurant is a great add to the plethora of restaurants in downtown Wayne. The food is mediocre at best. The service is poor. The wait staff is rude. It seems like their goal is to get you to eat as quickly as possible and turn the table which is a shame because the longer people sit, they usually end up ordering more sangria. In any case, there are plenty of other great restaurants to eat at in downtown Wayne. I wouldn't waste my time or money here.

1  Thank LRDefenderGirl
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Third time is usually a charm and Matador continued to deliver as it did the first two times we have eaten there. Sangria is the drink here, after all the theme and food are more form from Spain than Mexico.

Service was friendly and correct and tapas came in proper sequence. Scallops followed by Lamb chops - we then went for paella. We were four so it ended up just right. We did dessert churros with melted dipping chocolate, flan and a mousse and all three: good to excellent. Prices are not cheap so no one will forget you are in the heart of the main line but all in all one gets good value as the quality of the fare does not let you feel cheated in any way.

Been to Matador? Share your experiences!