“Just Another Metro Bar/Grill”

Black Powder Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Powder Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 116 Restaurants in Wayne
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: W Swedesford Rd
Description: Located just outside Valley Forge National Historical Park, Black Powder Tavern combines local flavors (edible AND sip-able) with American history in a pub-like setting. Warm woods and just-dim-enough lighting add to the tavern feel, enhanced by a reclaimed sawn oak bar with 12-cushioned stools (plus 6 high-tops), materials that are echoed in the dining room and in the flooring. Weeknights feature happy hour from 5-7PM, with a reprise happy hour on Thurs., Fri., and Sat. from 9-10PM. On Sundays, a prix fixe brunch is offered from 10:30AM-2PM, and the big game is always on.The menu features a variety of small and entree-sized plates, and highlights the flavors, ingredients and culinary trends Philadelphia has become known for—and that pair well with our extensive craft beer offerings. If you’re looking for a new favorite burger, you’ve come to the right place; our veal and chicken versions are hearty and flavorful, as is our pork sandwich. You’ll also find several salads and sharable items such as deviled eggs with smoked trout, pork and chicken wings, polenta fries, calamari and more; plus a fresh fish of the day (and of course fish ’n’ chips, cedar plank salmon and chicken marsala. Whether you stop in for lunch, dinner, happy hour or Sunday brunch, there’s something to satisfy your hunger, and your taste buds.Beer enthusiasts should take note: there are 24 brews on tap and 39 bottles. The selection is tweaked regularly, so if you’re looking for something new and special (or old and admired), this is the place to come. There’s plenty to satiate non-drinkers as well, including milkshakes made with Franklin Fountain ice cream—for an added historical touch, of course. For more details visit Black Powder Tavern online and tune in via Facebook and Twitter to stay up on beer and menu promotions.
Chicago, Illinois
“Just Another Metro Bar/Grill”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Food was fine, but they bill themselves as a historical tavern, which is sort of a joke. If by historical you mean modern suburban/outer metro decor, a typical menu, and lots of televisions tuned to sports, then sure, it's historical. Service was slow, but our waiter was very pleasant. Location was convenient, but the window by our table looked out to a gas station. Not a bad place, just misrepresented. Take your drinking buddies there- not your date.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Pendarella

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Perfect Dinner Pick”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Awesome food! Definitely worth visiting if you are in the area. The Cajun Mac and cheese was incredible as was the Cajun wings.
The staff is friendly. Portions are large so be prepared. :)

2 Thank Michelle N
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great lunch!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Being close to my parents place we drive by it all the time. One day for lunch we decided to give it a try. The place has an old revolutionary feel to it mixed with a hip gastro pub edge. The food reflects the decor as they have traditional dishes which are somewhat deconstructed and updated. The beer selection is very good and the waitstaff was attentive even though we arrived right in the middle of lunchtime. The sandwiches were very tasty and I would be back soon.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Reillylaw
Phil C, General Manager at Black Powder Tavern, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to visit us! My name is Phil Cugliotta and I am the General Manager at the Black Powder Tavern. Next time you are in town stop and see us again. We appreciate the kind words and feedback. Have a great weekend!
Virginia Beach
“Great place. Great food. Great service”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Historic tavern with good selection of delicious food. Our server, George, was awesome. Check it out. They have a good choice of beers!

New York City, New York
1,020 restaurant reviews
“Nice Mix of Old and New”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was happy to have found the Black Powder Tavern as it's on a route I drive at least once a week. It's a nice blend of old and new. It's an old Pennsylvania farm house set in a busy strip mall, business park area. It has that old Pennsylvania tavern feel to it with a nice blend of contemporary newness and modern amenities. I thought they did a great job blending the two.
My waiter was peppy and full of energy. Dare I say, maybe a little too peppy and too much energy. I like a friendly attitude, but this was more - "hey dude".
I had calamari to start which was good, but maybe nothing to rave about. I then had a patty melt that was very good and I thoroughly enjoyed.
My service though out the meal was fine, my ice tea was always full and the waiter checked back on me frequently. But then an odd thing happened. When it was time to pay, suddenly all the staff if the restaurant disappeared into one of the back areas. I am talking hostess, bartender, bussers and waiters - all gone. It wasn't for five minutes, but closer to ten minutes. Customers were at the door waiting for tables, people (like myself) wanted to pay checks. Several tables around me were talking about how crazy it was that no staff were on the floor for so long. Suddenly everyone came back out and I paid and left. Still don't have a clue where everyone took off to, but it was strange!
I will probably stop in again for lunch. I liked the atmosphere and the food was okay, when the waiters were on the floor the service too was okay!

• Visited June 2014

Been to Black Powder Tavern? Share your experiences!