“Loved It!”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Westwood, New Jersey
“Loved It!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We visited Wellsboro House on Sat night, arriving just before 8pm. The place was hopping and crowded but we were not deterred. After being greeted, we were told there was about a 10 min wait to sit indoors or we could sit out on their newly opened patio. Since it was a beautiful night, we chose the patio and I'm so glad we did. There are 3 tables with seating for 10 people and a canopy with tiny white lights that add a cozy atmosphere. Our waitress, Laura, came out and explained there was going to be a wait since it was Wellsboro's prom and they were busy. We ordered our drinks and Laura quickly returned with water for us. She explained the specials for the night and took our order. Our drinks arrived a few minutes later. Nice warm rolls and our dinner salads were brought out shortly thereafter. While waiting for our soup, we chatted with the other guests on the patio. We found out all were up visiting from different parts of PA and NJ. Our soup arrived after about a half hour. It was well worth the wait!! Laura explained the cheesy beer soup we ordered was made from a family recipe from their head cook, using beer made on the premises in their own brewery. It was delicious! It took our dinners another half hour to arrive but since we were in no hurry and were just enjoying the spring night, it wasn't an issue. Again, it was worth the wait! The shrimp scampi had just the right amount of garlic and the shrimp were cooked to perfection. The crab cakes were also a nice surprise. Not your typical fried cake with fillers, these were 2 nice scoops of crabmeat, lightly seasoned and broiled. Fish is mostly a miss once you get away from the water but not here. We were very happy with our choices (even though we had originally gone there for their steaks!). Laura tempted us with dessert and even though we were full, the deciding factor was all their desserts are made in-house. Their cheesecake is to die for!
Overall we were very happy with our visit despite the wait for our food. Laura never once made us feel like she was so busy she didn't have time to explain the specials or dessert and she checked on us quite often. (we were afraid since we were outside it was going to be out of sight, out of mind. Nothing was further from the truth!)
I would highly recommend this restaurant to others visiting Wellsboro. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable, especially on their beer, 3 of their house brews and 21 others! You don't find that very often. We will be back!!

3 Thank anabel864

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Don't miss this place”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Was traveling through Wellsboro, PA and on the recommendation of some locals, we decided to try The Wellsboro House and Brewery. Its tucked away on a side street across from a historic landmark...the old train station. Its was a perfect fit for visiting the historic town of Wellsboro. Not hard to find. What a great little gem! It was like walking onto the set of "Cheers!" Everyone was so friendly. The owner personally comes by to chat and is the nicest guy. Seems that everyone knows him. The catfish with crawfish tails was better than I had in New Orleans and my husbands South Philly cheese steak was better than we had in Philly. I was told the rolls actually come from Philadelphia. Food took about 30 minutes which was good for me considering the place was packed on a Tuesday! Which was a good sign when a place is busy on a weekday. An added bonus!!! They BREW THEIR OWN BEER!!! The Wynken, Blyken and Nod Out was one of the best IPAs I ever had. (Wynken, Blyken and Nod is the statue in the town square here). We will be passing through on our way home and have plans to stop back. Gotta have the tuna...the waitress highly recommended it!

1 Thank KorynS
Tulsa, Oklahoma
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely Fabulous!!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I tried out this restaurant even though I saw the recent reviews but I absolutely loved it!!! Great service!! I waited a maximum of 15 minutes for my meal and it was delicious (the cheese steak was to die for!), the waiters were polite and quick, and the dining room was very clean! I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who comes to the Wellsboro area

1 Thank ShelbyS306
Rochester, New York
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Service totally unacceptable - owners should never, ever, treat customers as poorly as we were treated. We were NOT a bunch of "bikers" looking to just drink as the owner so rudely put it. We were CUSTOMERS who were seated WITH menus. Drink orders were taken, food orders were taken and not once were we told that we would have to wait for our drinks for 45 minutes and food for over 2 hours. I ordered a beer and a steak. I got my beer after a 45 minute wait and then my salad. Another person in our group waited 45 minutes for soup!!!! At that point we were told that our food order had not even been started yet. Are you kidding me???? Needless to say, I was given the option to cancel my order and I was presented a bill for the beer and the salad ( which was part of the meal THAT I NEVER GOT! I paid my bill and left extra cash on the table for a coke that someone in our party ordered, along with a generous tip for the waitress (who's only fault was not addressing the issue with us sooner). If they could not accommodate our party of 16, then they should have said so BEFORE they sat us down with menus. No excuses for the very unprofessional attitude of these owners.

3 Thank VRB_13
Rochester, New York
“We waited 2 hours too, we were the group of 16”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

After telling the hostess we were a group of 16 and we were there for dinner, we were seated in the room behind the bar. Tina our waitress brought us place mats and flatware. She took our drink orders. After 45 minutes of not receiving water, our drink order or any visit from any staff member I went to the bar to ask where our drinks were. The bartender was not aware of the situation. I asked to speak with the manager and I was told she was delivering food. I said I would wait. 5-10 minutes later the manager came over and I explained the situation. Shortly after that some of our drinks arrived. After and hour and 10 minutes, one of the other guests and I went to speak with the owner/hostess. We explained how long we had been waiting, and had not gotten our salads, bread or anything. She told us the Prom kids kept them very busy and it would be a while yet before we got our food. She said she had no idea we were there to eat, even though SHE gave us the menus. It was explained to us her husband was the owner and cook, he could not come out to speak to us. We took the news back to the other 14 people. 10 minutes later our salads arrived and we were told our orders had just been put in, the kitchen did not have them till that time. We asked how much longer before our food and were told it would be at least another hour. 8 of us decided to leave. The owner came out when he heard we were leaving and asked who was leaving so they could adjust the orders. Those who left paid for the beverages we received and our salad (if they had one). We went down the Tony's Italian Cuisine and had a fabulous dinner before the other 8 that stated got their dinners. It was also explained to me when one of the other women in our group went back to the owner's wife and asked for some compensation for the amount of time they wait, she was told the restaurant had apologized enough. The fish fry one of the ladies had was over cooked!!!!
I would not recommend this restaurant!!! Do not seat people if you do not have the staff to accommodate! Do not tell your guests it is their fault because they did not make reservations. Then DO NOT tell other guests that it was the fault of a group of women you sat. Poor business practice.

4 Thank Meg P