“Lodge was basic, but clean”
Review of Penn Wells Hotel

Penn Wells Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Wellsboro
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The lodge was clean, the lobby area clearly was remodeled, and very attractive. Don't miss the continental breakfast, included in very reasonable room cost. Included Starbucks coffee, homemade French toast, and homemade muffins, and more. Good location. Our room was in the older area, but served our needs.

Room Tip: I'm guessing rooms in the remodeled area are nicer.
2  Thank kjaz43
Penn_Wells_Hotel, Director of Communications & Marketing at Penn Wells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the complementary hot breakfast in particular. Donna, our Lodge breakfast manager, does make some excellent homemade muffins! The new rooms are more modern and updated, but the rooms in the older section are a great value for the more economical traveler. I hope you’ll be back to stay with us again!

There are newer reviews for Penn Wells Hotel

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Wellsboro is a delightful little town, and the Penn Wells Lodge is conveniently located within easy walking distance of all the shops, restaurants, etc. We stayed in the new section and our room was very nice. We booked only a couple of days in advance, and the only room available was a suite, so we paid more (almost $200 for one night) than I would have preferred. The room was spacious, with a kitchenette and seating area separate from the bedroom. Moderrn decor, very clean. The continental breakfast was generous, and included eggs and sausage along with typical cold fare, and delicious homemade muffins. We also used and enjoyed the pool. The lodge is located steps away from a public park with a nice playground, which kept the kids happy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your kind words, Susanne. I am glad your family was able to enjoy our indoor pool and all of the other family-friendly amenities nearby. Hopefully if you stay with us again you’ll have a little more advanced notice and more choice in room types available. We also often have discounted rates in the non-peak winter and spring seasons, which is a great time to visit Wellsboro for a good value. I hope you’ll be back to visit us again!

Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I came across this hotel on our third day of a 6 day trip. We had been really disappointed with the last place we stayed. I wanted to be sure we found a decent place for the next two nights. Penn Wells did not disappoint.

We had a first floor King Suite in the newly added addition to the Lodge. The desk staff was friendly and helpful. The room was airy, clean, new, and comfortable. The bed was excellent and we had 2 good nights sleep. The suite included a kitchenette with a full size fridge/freezer, a sink, and microwave. The bathroom had the usual toiletries and was spacious. The WIFI (important to me) was spotty but did work.

The location of the hotel was perfect for us. We were on our motorcycle all day enjoying the local back roads and sites. When we came back to the hotel at the end of the day we were within walking distance of a lovely downtown area, park, and local restaurants. There is also a grocery store across the street as well as a dunkin donuts. We enjoyed some time sitting in the park and on the main street benches each evening.

Wellsboro is a great location between NY and North western PA. We will definitely be returning on future trips. Thanks Penn Wells!

Room Tip: We liked the first floor suite.
1  Thank Aimster03

Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in our new Lodge suites and took full advantage of all that Wellsboro and the surrounding area has to offer. It is a great area for scenic and peaceful motorcycling. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

The Penn Wells Hotel and Lodge was a great stop over on our way to the Grand Canyon of PA. We had two rooms in the Lodge and it was wonderful. The Lodge is about three blocks from the Penn Wells Hotel, but still right on main street in Wellsboro. It is recently updated and the rooms were clean and spacious. The Lodge had a very nice pool and exercise room. The staff was courteous and the breakfast in the morning included home made muffins. The trip to the Grand Canyon of PA is only about 10 miles from downtown Wellsboro. Highly recommend staying here if you are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for you kind words and thanks for staying with us during your visit to the Canyon! We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the lodge for 2 nights and my bill was $327. When i first called I asked what the price would be for 2 nights and the woman told me $163 and change with tax. I asked again if that was for 2 nights and she told me yes so I booked. The room was clean and very nice but when we checked out I was shocked at what the total was. Not what was discussed. Never again will I stay here. Cut the price in half and maybe I will think about it.

• Stayed: August 2013

I’m sorry to hear about the misunderstanding with your total bill. I’m sure the reservations agent you spoke to quoted you a per night rate, and it is never our intention to mislead guests or give incorrect information regarding rates. To ensure that guests are aware of their room rates, all guests upon check-in are presented with a registration form which includes the nightly rate and requires the guest to initial the rate and sign the form, which we do have on file for your visit. You stayed in one of our brand new rooms, but we do have rooms with more value-oriented pricing, and even in our new rooms, the room rates may be lower in our non-peak season. We are sorry that the misunderstanding regarding your rate ruined an otherwise good stay.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We got an economy room for one night, because we didn't want to spend 200 on a hotel only to sleep in it. They charged me $114.00 and that was BEYOND What they should have ever charged me. The room was small, dank, old old old OLD beyond anything I have ever stayed at. My 6ft tall boyfriend barley fit in the shower, which was not clean. When they say "out dated" they mean 1900's. Literally, the doors are narrow wooden doors with actual keys, not safe by any means.The bathroom sink was dirty and I found a pubic hair on the toilet seat.The room over all...wasn't very clean, dirt in the corners and our TV remote's batteries died, and were never replaced after asking for them to be. The staff wasn't super friendly. Except our waitress, Jackie who attended to us on sunday morning. The brunch was the best part of the experience. We stopped for a drink Saturday night at the Motel Lounge, the first bartender, a guy was super nice, the woman who took over his shift...played on her Kindle while I stood for 8 minutes waiting for a drink. I will never stay there again, in the future. The extra money will just be worth it. But if you want to feel like you've stepped back in time, not friendly dirty time, then go for it.

Room Tip: Just don't choose an economy room...I didn't see the other rooms but your money can be bette...
4  Thank Jelaina P

Thank you for staying with us last month. I’m sorry to hear you were disappointed with your room. Our economy rooms are the smallest rooms we offer and generally tend to be in the most historic section of the Hotel, which was built in the 1860s. These rooms are small and dated, but that is why they are priced a good deal lower than our other rooms. We do have options available in the Hotel that are less than $200 a night, such as our standard rooms, that would also be bigger and more updated than the economy rooms, and value rates can also be found outside of our summer and fall peak seasons. You may also prefer our Lodge property, which is newer and more modern than the historic Hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our Sunday brunch.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Very old hotel and pretty well worn. Our "upgraded room" was clean and the beds were comfortable and clean. Carpeting, wallpaper and furniture in the two room suite was very worn and it appears that this hotel is just hanging by a string. The complimentaryt breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. They would be better off to have complimentary coffee, breakfast rolls, fruit and cold cereal and forget the hot food all together. The highlight of our dining experience was the young male waiter whose name escapes me at the moment. The waitresses and hostess leave a lot to be desired. My recommendation is that the owner spend more money to update and upgrade this hotel or simply close it. You can only rely on "ambiance and quaint" for so long.

Room Tip: Stay at the lodge instead
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bobbidal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellsboro
Penn Wells Lodge
#3 of 5 in Mansfield
Canyon Motel
Canyon Motel
#1 of 6 in Wellsboro

Been to Penn Wells Hotel? Share your experiences!