“I love this place!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 October 2011

The Four Dogs is a local legend, and for good reason. Yes, I'll say right off the bat that it can get pricey. But it's worth it! There's a dining area, a great bar with a wood burning fireplace, outdoor seating with heat lamps for cooler evenings and great music a couple of times per week. The building was build in the 1840's and has maintained much of that charm. The food is anything but cookie-cutter. I highly recommend the following items: Mac'n'Cheese makes a great shared side for the whole table, Margharita Pizza is decadent, Pear Salad w/ Bleu Cheese and Walnuts is a feast, Fish and Chips are top shelf, Turkey burger with Avocado is a nice shift... and the list goes on. No need to dress up, but no one will laugh if you do. Nice for a quick bite or a festive occasion. If you want super nice, go next door to the Marshalton Inn - owned by the same folks.

Reviewed 28 September 2011

Our family ate at Four Dogs Tavern recently and thoroughly enjoyed our meals and the atmosphere. It was our first visit, so we have no means for comparing prices with past menus, but it did seem a bit overpriced.

Good beer selection, handsome interiors, and delicious food made for a happy experience!

Carol

Reviewed 8 August 2011

A little background...my husband and I live in the area and have enjoyed eating outside at the Four Dogs for years. Especially since we now have a dog we love to take him with us as he is allowed on the patio.

However, we went for dinner about 3 weeks ago...we both ordered the Oysters on the 1/2 shell...my husband and each got 3...well it turns out that one of his was bad. And by bad, I mean dead..he didn't realize it until he slurped it down, then was immediately repulsed at the flavor...turns out the shell has a hole in it and the oyster was dead and rotten.

We called the waitress over to tell her. At the end of the meal, the oyster order was still on the bill! We called her over again and asked her to remove the charge, which she did. I was a little perturbed that a manager didn't come out to address the situation since you can become gravely ill from eating bad seafood. With that in mind, I called the restaurant after we left and left a message for the manager...my concern was not only for my husband's health, but also that they didn't serve anymore bad oysters. The next day I received a call back from the manager, Apple. She was very apologetic and explained that my husband had gotten sick after eating the oyster. (Major stomach issues the rest of the evening and the next morning). She assured me that no other oysters were bad and to ask for her when we came in again and she "would take care of us". We also received a call from our local health department and my husband explained what happened, since they (the restaurant) was required to report it.

SO, cut to yesterday afternoon, we wanted to sit outside to have a late lunch with our dog and daughter...I asked if the manager was in and could we say hello....she came out and I introduced ourselves, she remembered us from the incident right away. We ordered some small plates and a couple of drinks and when the bill came, I was suprised to say that she did not follow through with her promise to "take care of us"...I wasn't expecting to NOT pay, I was expecting maybe the drinks to be comped or something....no, nada, zip. I was too embarrassed to say something to the waitress.

Long story short, we'll be looking for another place to eat outside...their food is overpriced and not very good for the price you're paying. I am extremely dissapointed with her (Apple's) lack of follow through regarding making things right with formerly loyal customers.

We will not return!

3  Thank rbeacher1011
Reviewed 4 August 2011

You can always get a slightly distracted member of the waitstaff, but the kitchen is very dependable. Prices are reasonable for good food that is linked to the 18th century Marshalltown Inn across the parking lot. Salads are fresh and generous and local foods are sensibly represented. There is a large outdoor venue under big and personal umbrellas and interior seating that is cozy without being too snug. Bathrooms are clean but small and out of date. Your friends will ask, how did you ever find this place? Pasta, seafood, and sandwiches are all excellent with subtle differences in breads, sauces, and spices that will make you think: why aren't all kitchens this smart.

1  Thank Dean1900
Reviewed 23 January 2011

The price for almost every item on the menu is about 20-30% higher than it should be. Margherita flat bread - $11.50. The cheese fondue is usually good (and expensive) but has been inconsistent. Breads tend to be stale. French onion soup - good but for $11? Pulled pork sandwich - $13. My son likes the pp sandwich but there's barely any meat on it. Best redeeming feature of 4 Dog? The outdoor patio. In the spring and summer it's a great place to grab a few beers and listen to a band. Can't wait 'til the weather gets warm!

1  Thank LuvDaSun222