“Gorgeous Bucolic Setting with Some Problems”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Chester
Inn at Whitewing Farm B&B
Ranked #1 of 10 West Chester B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
Guttenberg, NJ
Reviewed 14 July 2003

Upon arriving at Whitewing, we were very impressed by the immaculate pastoral and beautiful country setting. Everything on the outside is incredibly well-maintained, picturesque and pleasing. The "Recommended Country Inns" book that we utilized as a final choice in deciding upon Whitewing, described amazing hospitality and graciousness. My husband and I travel extensively, and we are generally pretty flexible, but the person helping us with dinner reservations was somewhat short and hurried, and we felt rushed during the check-in. When taken to our Suite (the structure and architectural format was quite lovely), the foul-smelling ordor upon entering our room was really bad. Obviously, we should have complained immediately, but, instead we opened all the windows, bought a scented candle, etc., and the malodorous scent was more or less gone by the evening time. Nonetheless, it just shouldn't have been. There are no phones in the room, so it is also difficult to contact staff if you need additional towels or any other sundries. The other problem was that the furniture (standard motel stuff) was in need of update and repair (e.g.: big hole on a part of the couch). Little things like milk for the coffee in the AM (we had a small kitchen), and a clean coffee pot, would have been nice. Otherwise, the room was very clean. Breakfast is served until 9 AM --I forgot to tell them that I had a dietary restriction, and couldn't reach them by phone when I remembered; subsequently, when I asked them at breakfast (just wanted an egg or something they already had in the kitchen, instead of the ambrosial french toast being served), I felt so uncomfortable with the sour, cold response that I received (my husband, a very low-keyed guy, confirmed my perception) that I left breakfast (after getting some yummy eggs) feeling a bit humiliated. We find that innkeepers always ask how you liked the place, but we didn't get any of that at all. We were going to stay at The Inn at Montchanin Village (we'd had stayed there before, and loved it, but we thought we would try someplace new), and wished we had in the aftermath. I do want to say again, that the gorgeous property alone (pool, pond, horses, cows, stables) are totally worth the visit. We took a wonderful walk at dusk that was a summer fantasy. The bottom line is that for close to $300 for the accommodation that we stayed in, more special attention needed to be paid to detail and the guests. If it had been a less expensive accomodation, I don't think that I would have had quite this response (except for the smell in the room). So, if you have a choice to stay at Whitewing Farm or The Inn at Montchanin Village, stay at Montchanin, which is close to perfect and the same price.

23  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Hotel Warner
Hotel Warner
#1 of 7 in West Chester
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Chester

Been to Inn at Whitewing Farm B&B? Share your experiences!