“Beautiful Property- but Sterile Management”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Chester
Inn at Whitewing Farm B&B
Ranked #1 of 10 West Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 May 2006

We just returned from this scenic inn nestled in some very beautiful countryside in west chester pa. My wife and I travel a fair bit and have been host to many excellent inns throughout New England and Canada. I'd consider us veteran travellers with a good range of accomodation experiences to draw from.
This was a family gathering to celebrate several family milestones and the Inn was used a base to operate out of for a busy weekend itinerary. Grounds are beautiful, rooms were clean but we had a suite and I'd rate it as very average. The rooms were cookie cuttered and you had to go through the one bedroom to use the bathroom. Overall though it certainly was acceptable, but overpriced in our opinion.
The biggest complaint is that for an Inn charging $300 plus a night, we were horrified by the lack of warmth by the operators. Similar to other peoples experiences, breakfast, while good food, was a disaster. The host was rude, didn't want anyone in our group to move a table to accomodate our party, and generally was about as rude and insensitive a host as we've experienced. Imagine a group of 20 paying somewhere in the area of $1500 plus for rooms and the host is acting like we're putting them out to slide two tables together at breakfast??? Are u kidding?? Our whole family loves to travel and we were uniformly humored but truthfully disgusted with the way the host bullied people into seats, complained that we needed to sit down for breakfast...and basically acted as if we were an inconvenience- instead of paying customers...
We all agreed that overall this place was a huge disappointment and we'd never return. If you're looking for ambiance...look elsewhere. The grounds are nice, but the people running this place need to take some lessons in how to actually make guests feel like they're $300 plus was worth it.. I'd look elsewhere if you're reading this.

• Stayed: May 2006
11  Thank sk8happy

Reviewed 23 April 2006

I pulled in during a rainstorm, on the late side for a wedding. The grounds were spectacular, even in the rain and mist. There is a tennis court, pool, pond, a chip and putt golf course which I did not see, horses and cows. The staff was extremely helpful, immediately providing me with annotated MapQuest directions to the wedding site. My room was very comfortable, airy and bright, nicely furnished with upscale but comfortable Colonial style furniture and prints. The bathroom had tile floors but molded vanity and shower (rather than tile or porcelain); the towels were on the thin side. A hair dryer, but no magnifying makeup mirror or iron, was provided. Drinks and snacks are always available in the main sitting area; tea is served in the afternoon, and cordials (unlabelled) are available in the evening. Breakfast was simple and delicious: sliced bananas in a light tangy coconut sauce, waffles with walnuts, and sausages.

I would compare this property with a medium-sized-city Hyatt or a Marriott--it is about the same price and same furnishings. This is not a Four Seasons or a Fairmont, but then again you're not paying those prices either. The setting, hospitatlity and personal service make this an excellent value.

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank gardenzealot
Reviewed 13 March 2006

We live twenty minutes from here and I used to pass within 1/2 mile of the Inn on a regular basis, but I never knew it was there! My mother-in-law gave us a night here for Xmas and we finally had the opportunity to use it this past weekend. What a delightful, relaxing way to spend the weekend. The service was genuine and friendly (not artificial) and made sure we didn't need any help with dinner reservations or attractions (being relatively local, we obviously didn't, but she checked anyway). The grounds are absolutely beautiful and just begged to be explored (it's just too bad that suburban sprawl is STARTING (empasize starting) to encroach on the Inn's area. The room was beautifully furnished with a very comfortable king-sized bed (my wife's only disappointment was that there was a shower stall, but no bath tub). A previous post mentioned an odor. I don't know if it was the same smell, but I did notice something here. I didn't find it as offensive, though, as the previous review (think of the smell when you walk into a dentist's office). Within ten minutes of being there, though, you don't even notice it.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend it - an excellent weekend escape for people out of Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, or New York!

• Stayed: March 2006
1  Thank WineTraveller
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, New York 10025
Reviewed 13 May 2005

Couldn't have been better! Superb hospitalilty, gorgeous food, beautiful immaculate rooms and public space. Lovely setting and grounds. Owners, management and staff were charming, warm, and knowledgeable of great things to do nearby. And I am a demanding New Yorker!

• Stayed: November 2004
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 September 2004

My husband and I wanted to go visit Longwood Gardens and had booked at a B&B and expected a quaint little house with a few rooms, We found a beautiful landscaped farm with upscale furnishings and the most delicious breakfast!! The people who work there are so nice and friendly. Hershey chocolates everywhere to munch on and the best lemon cookies available 24 hours...and the afternoon tea and snacks are to die for!! And afer dinner cordials before retiring in the evening!! The three cocker spaniels running around were so cute and friendly that we wanted to take them home!!! The buildings were decorated beautifully and very upscale. Before we left we booked another weekend!! It was FANTASTIC!!!

4  Thank molly923
A TripAdvisor Member
Guttenberg, NJ
Reviewed 14 July 2003

Upon arriving at Whitewing, we were very impressed by the immaculate pastoral and beautiful country setting. Everything on the outside is incredibly well-maintained, picturesque and pleasing. The "Recommended Country Inns" book that we utilized as a final choice in deciding upon Whitewing, described amazing hospitality and graciousness. My husband and I travel extensively, and we are generally pretty flexible, but the person helping us with dinner reservations was somewhat short and hurried, and we felt rushed during the check-in. When taken to our Suite (the structure and architectural format was quite lovely), the foul-smelling ordor upon entering our room was really bad. Obviously, we should have complained immediately, but, instead we opened all the windows, bought a scented candle, etc., and the malodorous scent was more or less gone by the evening time. Nonetheless, it just shouldn't have been. There are no phones in the room, so it is also difficult to contact staff if you need additional towels or any other sundries. The other problem was that the furniture (standard motel stuff) was in need of update and repair (e.g.: big hole on a part of the couch). Little things like milk for the coffee in the AM (we had a small kitchen), and a clean coffee pot, would have been nice. Otherwise, the room was very clean. Breakfast is served until 9 AM --I forgot to tell them that I had a dietary restriction, and couldn't reach them by phone when I remembered; subsequently, when I asked them at breakfast (just wanted an egg or something they already had in the kitchen, instead of the ambrosial french toast being served), I felt so uncomfortable with the sour, cold response that I received (my husband, a very low-keyed guy, confirmed my perception) that I left breakfast (after getting some yummy eggs) feeling a bit humiliated. We find that innkeepers always ask how you liked the place, but we didn't get any of that at all. We were going to stay at The Inn at Montchanin Village (we'd had stayed there before, and loved it, but we thought we would try someplace new), and wished we had in the aftermath. I do want to say again, that the gorgeous property alone (pool, pond, horses, cows, stables) are totally worth the visit. We took a wonderful walk at dusk that was a summer fantasy. The bottom line is that for close to $300 for the accommodation that we stayed in, more special attention needed to be paid to detail and the guests. If it had been a less expensive accomodation, I don't think that I would have had quite this response (except for the smell in the room). So, if you have a choice to stay at Whitewing Farm or The Inn at Montchanin Village, stay at Montchanin, which is close to perfect and the same price.

23  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#1 of 2 in Kennett Square
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham West Chester
3 mi away
Inn at Mendenhall, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to Inn at Whitewing Farm B&B? Share your experiences!