“Loved the atmosphere & the food!”
Review of Blue Pear Bistro

Blue Pear Bistro
Ranked #31 of 256 Restaurants in West Chester
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We loved the cozy, friendly bar area and found the food to be very, very tasty!
We shared the calamari which was very tender, served in a sweet, spicy sauce - very yummy! I had delicious tuna tartar and my date had short ribs and grits. Both were the best we've ever had!
We will definitely go back again soon!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

If you're looking for a slightly less formal option to the neighboring sister restaurant, the Dilworthtown Inn (well worth it on it's own when the budget allows), the Blue Pear Bistro offers a very affordable and delicious wine list, along with great small and medium plate dining.

Our only mistake was ordering wines by the glass, disappointingly at room temp, before realizing the bottles were so well priced. The list was very small, but offered a great variety of reds, none more than $44, and all but one $30 or less, for bottles I'd guess would sell for $18-$25 in stores.Not the worst markup by any means. Had the bottled wine been stored and served @ a better temp, I probably would have thought our wine was being sold under list price. 10 degrees would have made a nice difference, but even still, the wine was great.

Our meals were outstanding, the tuna tartare was a perfect mix of soy and avacado to complement but not overpower the delicate fish. And my wife's grilled romaine Caeser was one of the best salads either of us have ever had (rivaling the tableside version next door).

I'm not a fan of skin-on fish entrees, personally, which I know to some is like ordering a nice steak anything over med-rare. I should have asked when ordering the Red Snapper special, but that's my mistake, and yet once i removed, was still one of the best fish dishes I've had in some time, with spinach infused Isreali cous-couse, and a red pepper aoli. The confit black potatoes were not my cup of tea, and our server couldn't explain or name the 2nd sauce, but the Snapper and cous-cous were terrific. My wife opted for the fresh summer-y Fettucini, and it didn't disappoint. House made pasta was silky smooth, with a great variety of summer veggies and a light cheese, garlic and wine sauce. If you're having a pasta dish in spring-/summer-time, this is how it should be.

We passed on desserts, and regretted as we listened to surrounding tables "ooh and ahhh" about theirs.

Overall, excellent meal. I had a feeling when our server quickly decided for us (?) that we were ready to order, we'd be railroaded through a fast-paced dinner to turn over the table, but that was far from the case - a well-paced 1:40 min. meal was the perfect escape from the craziness and mayhem of our normal family dinners. The plates were expensive - app/salads were $14-$18, and entrees were in the mid-20's (my special snuck in unexpectedly @ $33!!). But the affordable, small and, I thought, well-picked wine list kept the bill in range. Any complaints above were minor and were not enough to make a sour dent in our night by any means.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

A very comfortable and well maintained building with private dining rooms for various small to medium sized groups (we had 14 people). The food was most excellent with a very good wine selection. The servers were very helpful and attentive. We had a marvelous evening.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is my neighborhood bar-could walk to it. The small dark wood-maybe walnut framed bar to the left as you walk in is always filled (with only 6-8 seats, get there early if you want to sit there.) We love sitting there when we can. The downstairs is small in the bar area, some more seating in back and outside..and there is an upstairs area also. So you've got a couple of different areas to eat for the mood you are in. Ate there for my birthday in February, as a snow storm was coming in-so not so crowded. The upstairs can get loud quickly-which it did that night-but we laughed along with the 6th top behind us that night. What I remember was eating a beet salad-that I loved more when it used to be roasted beets. You can tell me they still are but I won't believe you! It doesn't taste the same! But really a minimal complaint-it was still fresh, well presented and good! My meal, because I was feeling daring, was a cauliflower steak-no lie. It was served on lentils and had a wonderful orange colored sauce on it-maybe roasted red pepper? The cauliflower was just superb!! Tender to cut. I am not a vegetarian and don't eat cauliflower that often-but here it's over two months later and I'm still remembering my meal there! It was creative, daring and devious!!! No regrets about ordering this. My fiancé had either short ribs or possibly a burger-as that's his celebratory type meal. We enjoyed talking to our server who also could walk to work. We appreciated the choice of glasses of wine and beer on tap. Really there's not a bad area to eat in the BPB-I've enjoyed a meal in each room and will be back to do it again. Such a good choice Jim Barnes! Bravo.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

But for the price, the food took entirely too long to come out. We were seated upstairs and our server was barely attentive. We left feeling hungry and we advised them that we were gluten free. The worst part is we went there because we are gluten free and there were very few choices for us to have. I would never go back. There needs to be more options for folks that are dairy and gluten free. It was a waste of money. This place only works for novice foodies.