“Great Marriott”

Rooms - Nice Size Rooms
Location - Decent, View of River Below
Cleanliness - Great
Check in / front desk - Outstanding
Service - Took care of every need we had, professionally and efficiently
Restaurant/Food - Good

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 July 2008

I just returned from a two-night stay here with my husband. We booked via Priceline (thanks to the previous reviewer). With tax, the total was $78 per night and parking was free. Compared to the Marriott summer promo rate of $119, I saved a few dollars. Make sure to give them your Marriott # however, and you can earn points on all other purchases in the hotel, other than your room and tax.
This was a very good location for us as we were taking our daughter to college orientation and the univerisity is only 10 miles away, with easy on and off access from the freeway.
We did have the buffet in Shula's each morning and there is a lot of selection. The cold buffet had a lot of fresh fruit, and the hot buffet had an omelet station. Both were very good. Pricing is somewhere between $14-16. We went to Manayunk one evening for dinner and ate at Bourbon Blue. It was recommended by the hotel, however our experience there was not very good, so I would not recommend it.
From this hotel, you are about 1/2 drive into the city depending on traffic, as we did sightseeing the second day. If you are planning to do that, it is easiest to park at the Independence Hall Visitors Center and walk to all the attractions.
Overall our experience here was very good. The only negative that I encountered here were the towels. Some were like sandpaper and several had threadbare spots in them. If you held them up to the light you could see right through them. Other than that, we decided that this would be our go-to hotel for the next four years while our daughter is in college in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2008

Stayed for 2 nights via Priceline - Saturday and Sunday nights - we got this hotel for $60/night. An absolute bargain. Nice, upscale lobby with complimentary ice tea, lemon water and hershey kisses that was constantly replenished. Quick and friendly check-in. I had called ahead of time to request a mini fridge for the room and it was plugged in and cold when I arrived. We had room 916. Rooms are nice, great beds. Our room did not have a newer TV, but that's the only thing I could remotely call remiss about the room. It was very clean. Loads of drawer space, so if you are staying for a few days or so, plenty of room to unpack and not have to live out of your suitcase. Bathroom clean as well, but on the small side with the sink outside of the room. Nice Bath & Body Works shampoo, conditioner, soaps and lotion.

Indoor pool area was great - so clean with a decent-sized hot tub (that was the perfect hot temperature, not lukewarm!), a nice pool and an outside sundeck. We were practically the only ones using the pool for our entire stay. Nice fitness room with updated equipment and complimentary water and fruit. Good sauna as well. Locker rooms were in decent shape. Loads of towels.

Every single staff member I came into contact with was friendly and courteous. Doors were held and everyone smiled. Their staff should definitely be commended.

We had breakfast the last morning of our stay in Shula's, the onsite restaurant and it was very good. Adults were $15.95 and children 12 and under were 6.95 - and they did not charge us for our twins, who are 6. Offerings were very good - scrambled eggs, omlettes made-to-order, bacon, sausage, corned beef hash, breakfast potatoes, dry cereals. hot oatmeal, yogurts, cheeses, smoked salmon, fresh fruit, muffins, bagels, toast, etc...
it was well worth the money and the setting is very nice. The only thing missing was some kind of pancakes or french toast (which my carb-loving kids were craving, of course!)

We checked out at noon and asked if we could utlize the pool for a couple of additional hours until we met friends later that day. Again, no problem and we had the pool to ourselves for a couple of additional hours that afternoon.

I inquired about parking, as I was under the impression they charged (which is ridiculous in the suburbs, in my opinion...) and they said just insert your room key upon exiting the facility - and no charge for the parking.

Seems to be a very business-oriented hotel, especially given its location amongst the many corporate centers in the vicinity, but I was happy with the services provided. They are doing a lot of things right - just have to update all their TV's in their rooms! Very, very good experience.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank mccarthys5
Reviewed 27 April 2008

Decided to get in a couple more nights towards a Marriott bonus points promo so I reserved a few nights here. Last time I came to this hotel was a few years back and we decided that we didn't like it...so I wasn't sure what to expect.

The rooms have been remodeled and have the new Marriott beds and HD TV (big, flat screen). There is a nice big chest of drawers which is handy if you are staying a while.

Got here easily with our GPS. Check in was a breeze and I was upgraded to a Concierge level room (Platinum Premier status at Marriott) and told that we could eat breakfast in the restaurant for free. (Didn't have to ask....a real plus!)

The hotel is just off I-76/Schuylkill expressway and close to the Turnpike. The room, on the 15th floor was very quiet. Heard a couple freight trains but not much from outside. Also, we are right near the elevators but that wasn't really an issue.

The beds, while comfy, were a little too soft. Next time, I think Iwill ask for bedboards. There was a small fridge under the sink ( I ask for this in my profile, but some full service Marriotts have begun putting them in rooms.)

Breakfast the first day was a little bit of a mess. Service was horrible and the server told another table that the hotel only has half and half for coffee. Not true...Mariotts all have at least whole and 2% milk...this one had whole, skim, 2% and chocolate! The food wasn't very hot (buffet) and the bacon was very undercooked. I mentioned this to the MOD at the Front Desk and she was going to arrange something for me. I said I would be happy with free internet and parking. (Parking was included in one rate, but the rate for the 3rd night did not include it.)

The second day breakfast was fine. The restuarant is "Shula's 347" a steakhouse part of the Shula's chain (as in Don of football fame). Moderate to high prices, but I had a coupon for a free meal, so not TOO bad. 30-40 bucks for two of us for 2 entrees and dessert, plus beverage (iced tea). Reasonable for a hotel....you could spend that in TGIFriday's, etc.

There isn't much around...there is a Wawa and McD's across the street, plus 2 gas stations, and some sort of sports pub behind McD's. (BTW the McDonalds wasn't so hot..they were out of 3 or 5 tpes of salad at 5:30 on a Friday!)

All in all, the stay wasn't bad. Housekeeping did a fine job on the room and aside from the restaurant probelms, it wasn't bad.

If you need to be in the Conshohocken area, this isn't a bad choice.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank cruisermeg
Reviewed 27 January 2008

I stayed here during a annual meeting for my company which is headquartered in this area which is a suburb of sorts of Philadelphia. I was surprised at first the area and the surrundings and how out of plce this very nice Marriot is. The town is a weird collection of both office buildings, mill houses and just a strange set up. This very large hotel sits at the start and is very nice inside. The lobby is attractive and clean and the staff is very helpful. We held company meetings here and there was plenty of room. The lounge in the lobby area is also very nice with a good bar menu and drinks. The rooms are spacious and new and comfortable. I was surprised such a nice place would be in this strange town, but seeing that there was a lot of large corporations here, that may have been why. I would recommend this place if you are doing business here, otherwise if you are visiting Philadelphia, I would say stay closer to the city. I am not sure of the rates, but this was reasonable for this area.

• Stayed: May 2004, travelled on business
2  Thank lip89
Reviewed 20 November 2007

My review is only on the reservation process since I did not stay at the hotel yet. I made the reservation on November 20, 2007 for a Dec 7, 2007 to Dec 8, 2007 one night stay. I noticed when I tried to make my reservation online that it stated that it included parking when I made the reservation regularly however when I using the AAA discount code it no longer mentioned the parking. So, I decided to call to make the reservation so I could ask the reservationist about the parking fee. I was quoted at $139 for a leisure rate quality room including parking for a one night stay from Saturday to Sunday. If I wanted to use my AAA discount, for the exact same room I would now only be charged $132 for a $7 discount. However, I asked if this included parking. I was informed it did not. The parking fee is $10. So, in essence, if you use your AAA discount you will actually be PENALIZED and you will be charged a total of $3 more for the same exact thing.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2007

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel for just one night and had a great time. We are from DC but were in the suburban Philly area for a 1-day conference and decided to make a mini-getaway out of the weekend
by staying overnight rather than driving back to DC. Here is our review of the hotel:

Check-in: We booked through the hotel website and got a great deal of $159/night, which included parking and breakfast buffet for 2. Check-in was easy, and when we arrived, they already had our room waiting for us.

Room: We had a great room on the 15th floor of the hotel. It had a terrific view of the autumn leaves. The room was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was spotless and the Bath and Body Works travel soaps and other stuff were great. The bed was super comfortable, and we wished we had such a great mattress at home. The only disappoinment about the room is that it was on the concierge floor, which I was super-excited about (i'm a sucker for little things like this), but we learned after checking in that the concierge
lounge is closed on Friday nights and all day Saturday, so it really didn't matter that we were on the concierge floor. I was very disappointed.

Indoor Pool: We are suckers for indoor pools, and this one was great. It was empty when we were there, so it was like our own private pool. The pool area was clean, the water warm, and we had a great time acting like little kids.

Restaurant: We didn't feel like driving, so we ate at Shula's 347, the hotel's restaurant. We sat at the bar and had drinks and appetizers, dinner, and dessert, and everything was absolutey delicious. Much better than most hotel restaurants. We also had great service and were able to just relax and enjoy ourselves. The breakfast
buffet on Saturday morning was just as enjoyable.

Overall we had a great experience at this hotel, and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
#41 of 88 in Philadelphia
Hampton Inn Plymouth Meeting
#2 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting

Been to Philadelphia Marriott West? Share your experiences!