Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in West Mifflin
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We only stayed here for 2 nights for Halloween at Kennywood but thoroughly enjoyed it. Not too many Aussies come through this part of the world so we were a bit of a novelty :)

It was clean, safe, comfy beds, lovely hot showers, helpful staff, good breakfast (bit freaked out by the gravy for the biscuits though!!!).

Typical wonderful Pennsylvanian hospitality!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
mmcfarland, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you enjoyed your visit to Kennywood! I'm surprised you didn't like the sausage gravy. That is one of our biggest hits on the breakfast bar. Haha.

Thank you again for staying with us! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 16 November 2011

My family and I stayed at the hotel last week and were very favorably impressed. The staff, from the moment we began check-in, couldn't have been more accomodating. We were initially given a room across from the elevator, which upon examination, I was concerned about due to being a light sleeper. They were more than happy to change it immediately, no problem. The whole hotel was clean and well cared for. There's a lovely fireplace in the lobby, with a super cushy seat in front of it. If I hadn't had things to do, I could have stayed there all day! The beds were perfectly comfy. The room was quiet and we all had a great night's sleep. In the morning, we very much enjoyed the breakfast, which had a good selection and was constantly attended to. You really must try the pancake making machine--you set the amount and they come out as if from a printer, and they were really scrumptious! I can imagine most children being enthralled--we thought it was one of the coolest things we'd seen lately. Of course, the usual H I Express cinnamon rolls were wonderful as always, and we really liked the tray of cheese omelets.
We all agreed we would certainly stay there again and actually wished we could've stayed longer!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
mmcfarland, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel! We take pride in what we do and we appreciate any feedback that we can get. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 November 2011

This is my second stay at this Holiday Inn and we loved it once again. Everything about our room was perfect, absolutely perfect. The room and bathroom were clean. We stayed there for the first few days of our trip to Pennsylvania, and stayed again for the last night. What makes this hotel, really, is that the staff is excellent and very friendly. They bend over backwards to make sure everything is right. We'll stay here again! Talk to Ray. He'll make everything right!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
mmcfarland, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Thank you for the wonderful comments and thank you for staying with us! I will make sure to pass these comments over to Ray and the rest of our staff!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 30 October 2011

I stayed here overnight on Saturday, September 17,2011 with my 14 year old daughter and her best friend for a trip to Kennywood Park. My husband was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in June and we did not get to go to the Beach as planned or anywhere over the Summer between his being very ill,many Dr. Appt's,a 5 hour "Whipple Procedure" Surgery with a 5 day hospital stay,and now follow up chemo treatments.

All of this has taken a very emotional toll on our family-mentally,physically, as well as financially.
We decided that with the worse behind us that I would take our daughter and her friend on a overnight trip to Kennywood since she did not get to go or do anything fun all summer.Money was very.very tight but I am a Holiday Inn Priority Club Platinum Member and used a Rewards Night for our stay. We checked in after a day of fun at Kennywood. The clerk ask me for my Credit Card so that she could swipe it for what they said was only for incidentals but the clerk assured me that there would be no charges to my card. Well, to my absolute surprise and horror, I checked my account balance on my Visa Debit Card and found that a $25.00 charge had been made and was pending on my checking account. We were just getting ready to go to dinner and I went to the front desk and spoke to a clerk named Samantha who said the charge was for incidentals and would be credited back first thing on Sunday morning. I ask her was I was not told this at check in and why I was assured that no charges would be made.Samantha then went down to the far end of the check in counter which was actually a lower counter with a wall between it and the higher check in counter and brought a sign in plastic that stated about charges being made even on debit cards. I told her this was totally deceptive because this was not what was told to me at check in and then they even hide the sign that advises of their Visa Debit Card procedu re. Samantha was not the least bit apologetic or sorry and just kept saying that was their procedure.

How convenient when they do not verbally advise you of this at check in and keep the sign hidden totally out of sight where you check in. I was not the least bit happy about this or Samantha's poor attitude and lack of customer service. Maybe $25.00 is not much to her or most people but it is a lot when you had to count every penny for the trip because of all the medical and prescription bills we were getting hit with in addition to our regular living expenses including an hour commute to work for me because the Citi site I was working at closed down and I had to commute to another site if I wanted to keep my job. I also told Samatha that that I used two Reward Nights to stay at an almost $500.00 a night Holiday Inn & Suites on 17th Street In Ocean City, MD and they did not even ask to swipe my credit card at check in and did not put any pending charges on my card. Because of this, I was not even able to afford to go out to dinner with my daughter and her friend and just told them I was not feeling well and set in th car while they ate.

I checked my checking balance on Sunday Morning and found the money had still not been credited back as promised plus to my horror,there was now another fee charged. We checked out on Sunday morning and the every so unhelpful Samantha was at the front desk again. I told her of the additional charge on Sunday and she said the charge was for tax.I was livid by this point and I also noticed that the sign regarding charges to Debit Cards had been moved down to the far left of the check in counter again(OUT OFSIGHT AGAIN!) and was again on the low counter and it was actually up flat against the wall and out of sight again even though I told Samantha that they needed to make sure that the sign was in plain sight as well as verbally advising guests of this when they check in.

Samantha was very rude when I said that she assured me that the money would be credited back first thing on Sunday morning. She just kept saying that the money would be credited back to my account and that I would not be charged. I kept trying to explain that the charges showed as pending and my available. balance was decreased by that amount but she was just too stupid to get it or just didn't care. I demanded to have MY MONEY credited back immediately and she just kept saying that there was nothing she could do. She was not the least bit apologetic or sorry.
I demanded to speak to a manager and she claimed that none very there-probably another big lie.

I left but I do plan on pursueing this directly with Holiday Inn as I want a full refund of the credit for my Reward Night + the two overdraft fees that these UNAUTHORIZED FEES CAUSED ME. I have stayed at many Holiday Inns but this one is the bottom of the barrel. I know now why I stay at Marriott in West Homestead, PA when we go to Kennywood.
STAY WAY,WAY CLEAR OF THIS HORRIBLE PLACE AND HORRIBLE STAFF LIKE SAMANTHA!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Mellymel3918

First I would like to take the time to apologize for the inconvenience this had caused you. It is however the hotel policy to receive a credit card from every guest checking into this hotel. This is to cover any incidentals you may have, such as long distance phone calls. The sign stating this is not hidden. It is framed and posted right next to the sign that states our Check-in time and Check-out time along with our Management companies Name and Address. The hold is placed and controlled by the Financial Institution, NOT the hotel. Again, I do apologize for the issues this had caused you. If you do come back into the area again, perhaps for Kennywood next summer, and would consider staying with us again, please call me directly at the property and I will make sure that you are taken care of personally.

Thank you for your comment. We are always looking for ways to improve!

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Our entire family (From 5 different States) was there for my nephew's wedding. The person working the night shift was rude and seemed completely disinterested in providing any level of customer service. My brother's family had arrived the day before and explained that they had significant problems with the room key working and warned us about the rude 3rd shift staff person. When we arrived back at the hotel after the wedding, the room key for my brother's room did not work; however, when my sister-in-law complained, she was told she was biligerent and was going to bed kick out. She left and returned to her room. My brother (retired police officer) went to ask the clerk if he had, in fact, told his wife that she was kicked out. The clerk said "yes" but would offer no explaination. My brother asked "Really?" and with that the clerk informed him that he too was now beligerent and called the police. The police arrived (they were great BTW) but the clerk would not offer any reasonable explanation other than tout his authority and demanded that they be kicked out. The police asked the clerk to re-consider as no one was beligerent and everyone was calm (although frustrated). It must have taken the police 3 or 4 times to ask the clerk to be reasonable before he finally relented and let them stay. We have called corporate to complain and we called this hotels management -- who reviewed the video and agreed that the clerk acted inappropriately (especially as his version of the story had complete LIES in it). The fact that this clerk - with horrible people skills - can put travelor's out on the street is frightening. He lacks the fortitude to handle responsibility and is abusive of his power yet it appears the hotel management will allow him to retain his position. Watch out IF you don't heed my advice!!! Whatever you do - don't complain (even about poor conditions/service) or Chaz might just kick you out...because he can and the management enables him to do it!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you have to go to this area of PA
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

After a full review of the situation (watching surveillance cameras, speaking with employee and parties involved) disciplinary action was taken on this employee but both parties were to blame. We never want to have a guest removed from the property but it is our responsibility to ensure the safety and comfort of all of our guests. There are some instances where a keycard may be deactiviated if it comes into contact with any type of electronics (tv's, cellphones, credit cards). It only takes a few moments to reprogram a key to a room. Alcohol had a role in this situation and this did not need to be escalated to the level it was where a shrub was actually torn out of the planter at our front entrance by the party involved. At this point we had to look out for the other guests staying with us at the time.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

I have to say the staff here was super friendly and helpful especially Samantha at the front desk.

I only stayed one night and honestly
It was a horribly uncomfortable bed.
Dark room low ceilings just kinda depressing and uncomfortable. The bathroom also has the counter that wraps behind toilet and as ridiculous as this sounds you hit your elbow every time you try to get toilet paper :-)

I have to say tho that the staff was nice a good location fairly clean just dark and out dated

• Stayed: September 2011
mmcfarland, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Thank you for your review! I am glad that our staff made your stay a good one. I understand your comments about some things being out dated and I assure you that our company is working to correct that. Our property is due for a re-model in a couple of years and we are working on starting the update process now to ensure that we keep as up to date as possible. I hope that you come visit us again and see the new things that we have to offer!

Reviewed 20 September 2011

Clean, Quiet, easy access and terrific breakfast. Be sure to check out on time - housekeeping was knocking at 11:00 on the dot and the phone rang from the front desk a minute later to be sure we were moving along!

All in all a good stay!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for staying with us! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. I would like to mention that if you stay with us in the future we are more than happy to accommodate you with a late check-out. We have a rapid check-out system in effect in which guests can leave without stopping at the Front Desk. This means though that at check-out time we need to check the rooms that have not stopped down at the Front Desk when leaving to see if they have indeed left or not. We love to make your stay perfect in every way we can though and if that means you need a late check-out just let our Front Desk staff know that and we will make sure that you are not disturbed in any way. Thank you again for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Mifflin
Extended Stay America - Pittsburgh - West Mifflin
Comfort Inn Conference Center
Comfort Inn Conference Center
#57 of 72 in Pittsburgh

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin? Share your experiences!