“Worst service I have ever experienced in a hotel”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
New York
“Worst service I have ever experienced in a hotel”
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I have stayed in other Econo Lodges before, and have found them to be of good value. I expected no less from this one, but boy was i wrong.

From the get go, you could tell the motel was sorely wanting. The paint was peeling off the buildings, there was spilled cereal on the breakfast nook that no one had cleaned up, and there were only one or two other customers staying at the hotel. But that wasnt the worst part - the worst part was the attitude of the hotel manager - Deep Patel. He was RUDE and HORRIBLE and no doubt needs a lesson in customer service. We got into a shouting match at the front desk during check in.

Upon arrival, Mr. Patel likely sized us up to be a group of rowdy teenagers, despite the fact that we are all Wall Street professionals in our late 20's. He coldly informed me that if we smoked in any of the rooms, we'd be charged a $200 fine. I assured Deep that no one in our party smoked. He accused me of lying because he had seen someone smoking outside. The person he was referencing was not with our group.

Next, the rate he was charging me was different from the rate I had previously discussed with the person with whom i made the reservation. When we disagreed about this, I requested to cancel the reservation.
Mr. Patel told me he would charge us a penalty of one night's stay for doing so - we had only booked the room for one night. In essence, we'd be paying the same amount whether or not we stayed there.

After it was clear that we had reached a deadlock about the price, he was so angry that he put his wife (the co-manager) on the phone to speak with me instead. She was much more rational, and offered me a full refund if we decided not to stay there for the evening.

Overall, my experience at the Econo Lodge was horrendous. The facilities looked unclean and decrepit, and the manager's behavior was absolutely unacceptable. I would never recommend this place to stay for anyone - friend or enemy.

(My party and I ended up staying at the Holiday Inn Express just down the street. It was AMAZING, and only $20 more.)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank CindereIIie24
gmsub, manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 July 2009
they didnot stay here due to error in reservation

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
FL
Reviewed 15 September 2008

worth it for the price I paid,more than expected,good internet connection,large suite comfortable for family though I was alone,good people and nice quite place away form highway.
only thing i didnot like was some old furniture which didnot match with suit

• Liked — large room
  • Disliked — some furniture
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tampa
Reviewed 6 October 2007

Second stay and very disappointed. We stayed at this motel in October 2006 and were extremely pleased with everything. The furnishings were obviously old but the suite was clean and very spacious. We selected this motel primarily because they are pet friendly and are located in a somewhat rural setting. So we stayed a second time in May 2007, and we'll never stay there again. As a matter of background, the motel was in transition from bank ownership to current owner during our first visit in October 2006. The first unpleasant issue we had during the second visit was that the motel owner wanted to charge $20 per pet per night ($40 per night for our two dogs), contrary to the quoted $10 per pet per night fee quoted via telephone. Although we telephoned this motel for information, we eventually made our reservations through the motel chain's website so maybe there is a difference in price when you book online. I had decided to leave because I felt being taking advantage of but the owner/manager decided to charge us the originally quoted $10 per night pet fee. The next issue made us very uncomfortable. Very few regular guests and approximately ninety percent of the motel guests were long-term construction workers temporarily working in the area. Over half the parking spaces were taken with large work-type vehicles/trucks. Because of the large number of construction workers, we felt the motel was more like a men's dormitory. Then, we were unable to lock/secure the front sliding glass door which made us more uncomfortable. Then the electronic key stopped working during the night, but we were able to enter our room through the unlocked sliding door. The bedroom was dark with only one light fixture working. The so-called Jacuzzi type tub would not drain properly no matter what we tried, plus, the remaining water in the the tub had a dirty green color. Lastly, the room was not maintained well; peeling wallpaper, stained carpeting, dilapidated furnishings and a general unsanitary feeling. We were extremely relieved to leave this motel and will never return. This was the very first time I had ever complained about a motel. Lastly, in all due respect to the current owner, I believe he hadn't owned the motel for very long so possibly things may have improved. I would recommend anyone planning on staying at this motel to have contigency plans in the event you decide that this place is not for you.

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank moxietampa

Travellers are raving about these White Haven hotels

Fairlawn NJ
Reviewed 25 July 2007

we stayed at this Inn during wine festival at Split Rock resort this Inn is very close to Jackfrost and bigboulder less than two minuteI would say it is also very close to Pocono Raceway less than 7 miles.
Inn has great rooms(suites) with good cleanliness best place to stay with family

• Liked — Size of Room
  • Disliked — Night lamp
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near White Haven
#2 of 6 in White Haven
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#5 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!