“Fall Experience We'll Talk About for Years”

Deer Path Riding Stable
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in White Haven
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic guided trail rides through the Pocono forest. Gentle horses, helpful guides and an "easy does it" pace makes for a great outdoor experience, even for first timers.We Love Beginners.
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The hour trail ride was gorgeous during the fall. The website talks about offering first-time riders a lot of training, but don't expect it - you get about 30 seconds of instruction and then take off in a line of other riders behind a guide who doesn't really offer much instruction along the way. Luckily, the horses are pretty routine and know to follow each other. My horse kept going sideways and trying to perhaps scratch his behind against every single tree or bush we passed, and I did leave with a few scratches up my arm and fallen leaves in my hair. I was pretty nervous the whole time but am so glad I can scratch horseback riding off my bucket list, and the trail in the fall time was absolutely breathtaking. Not sure if the riding boots were more germy than bowling shoes, so if you have your own boots, wear them. Tennis shoes won't work. I would recommend it to anyone staying in the area - it was a good experience. Just be prepared to be in the mercy of your horse! They are beautiful creatures and each has their own personality.

All reviews
"the owner"
in 27 reviews
"well taken care"
in 7 reviews
"trail guide"
"year old daughter"
in 5 reviews
"answered all our questions"
in 3 reviews
"an enjoyable experience"
"experienced riders"
in 4 reviews
"first timers"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this stable"
"bring the kids"
"nice conversation"
"biscuits"
"feel comfortable"

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Enjoyed our ride thru the woods. Our grandchildren had a pony ride the next day. Liked our ride and location

1  Thank chef on the go
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Lady who took us out was very friendly and helpful, older gentleman dressed as a cowboy gave us riding instructions and adjusted our stirrups. Love that they had boots, foot spray and wipes to use, also helmets available. Nice ride for 32.00 for an hour beautiful place would go again.

1  Thank 79Helen08
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I've been here a few times before over the course of twenty years and have always enjoyed my experience, especially during the fall foliage and with all the deer we would see. So I really hyped up this place when bringing my daughter there for the first time. The stables were nice and the horses were calm. They even provided riding boots, helmets and an outhouse, which we did not see at first when we asked the owner, John, if he had restrooms. We were a little taken aback by his terse remark that we can go to the WaWa 2 miles away or use the woods. Hmmm that was an odd and awkward response.It was just the two of us and John did take a lot a lot of time with us beforehand explaining all the do's and don'ts which we certainly appreciated. He could of been a little nicer though with his delivery. Maybe he was just having a bad day. I have ridden a lot but do not call myself an expert by any means. He made me feel like a complete idiot though with his remarks. At this point we both were really nervous and just wanted to go home. The trail ride was nice, although we didn't see any deer. We mostly walked the horses and did trot a little. I would of enjoyed it more but it was difficult to as John was making us both so uncomfortable the whole time. We did have a fairly nice conversation during the ride, but still felt very uneasy. I do appreciate that safety is his main concern and we were very nice and compliant the whole time but he came across to us as critical and impatient if we weren't doing something right enough for him. It felt more like a lesson than a leisurely hour. After we finished and dismounted ( which I was berated for doing so incorrectly) he did offer to take our picture then he just walked away. No "goodbye", "have a nice day". Again, very odd. Did he really think he deserved a tip for disappointing us? Wish it could have gone better. Felt like I let my daughter down.

2  Thank Beverly E
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My family was visiting the Poconos for Labor Day Weekend and were looking for some activities, we saw their add in the Lake Harmony booklet. My daughter is a rider and has been riding for 10 years, so she is an experienced rider. I am a beginner and was a little nervous when they put me on a very large horse. But during the trail ride, we both had a really nice time. We went along with the owner and his daughter and was very enjoyable, they were very friendly and interesting to talk with. I would recommend the trail rides here, quite nice.

1  Thank sue v