“Fraudulent Charges - Absolutely rude Customer Service”

Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fraudulent Charges - Absolutely rude Customer Service”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I had made a reservation online at Moutain Laurel Resort. When I called to confirm, I was told that the rates are not valid and that they have not been updated on the website. So I cannot reserve the room and my card will not be charged. I never received an email regarding the confirmation either. However on Jan 29, I was charged on my card even though I didnt go to the resort.
When I called them to dispute the charges, the person answering was very rude and said that I was lying. She refused to work anything out.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank A A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Branford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Just spent a long weekend there as part of a time share. Would not stay again. I would stay somewhere else but go over to the stables to visit the super nice staff and go horseback riding. The staff at the resort were obviously miserable and very unfriendly. Restaurants and bar are open very limited hours due to no customers and several staff members complained openly to us or within our hearing that there was no business, hours being cut etc... The room was spacious but very dated. Linens and towels very old so would recommend bringing your own. Kitchen pretty well outfitted but the silverware and dishes were dirty (dried food etc...) when I took them out which was pretty gross. cobwebs on the light fixtures too ! I also think it was a cockroach that ran across the bathroom floor but I'm not positive. I realize it is somewhat off-season but still unacceptable for the staff to be so miserable. I will repeat though.. go to the stable and see the animals and chat with the staff. Best part of the weekend and they are not affiliated with the resort !

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susan H

Travellers are raving about these White Haven hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We stayed there as a time share exchange during August. The property looked like it got left in the '80s, complete with a Murphy Bed! If you've ever seen the movie "Hot Tub Time Machine," you will know to avoid this place. We only lasted a night, as we spotted a MOUSE in the room the second evening. We decided to have a staycation instead. Don't waste your time or money here!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Jamie I
nj
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I must say that I do stay at mountain laurel resort once a year, my husband & I enjoy it. I cannot believe some of these reviews.
The lady who had the moldy ceiling tile in the bathroom, I bet you stayed all week & did you have the problem taken care of?
For the pool being green & smelling like urine i have never seen or smelled it that way.
I must also say that I have seen some of other guests rooms & i must say i hope they dont live like that at home, OMG such pigs!!!!
For the lady that complained about the restaraunt, about the hostess, I do not think she was being rude, & if she was good for her, some people dont understand the business, when they are backed up they are backed up
I could keep going about some of these reviews, its just tooo upsetting

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lovely11Nj
Quarryville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We love going to Maountain Laurel every summer. This year we spent time in Jim Thorpe and visited the jail. We also spent a day hiking Onoko Falls and went to the largest General Store where they have a petting zoo. The week was not the best because of the weather but we made the best of it. I am looking forward to returning in the fall to go snow tubing and horse back riding. Always a good time in the Poconos

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Diane717
PA
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I must start by saying that I understand the negative reviews. The place is very dated and in need of some updating. With that being said, we knew what we were getting into by reading reviews before we booked. I must also mention that my opinion is greatly skewed because of the price we paid. Through Interval International, we got our week for $202 (or less than $30 a night), so all of my views are coming from that perspective. My wife, 1.5 and and 2.5 year old, and I had a 1 bedroom for the week. Unfortunately, there was no view where we stayed and I would recommend a non-first floor unit. There was ample room for us, and we had some friends come down for 3 or so days without stepping on each other's toes.
We found the staff to be helpful and, for th most part, competent. The young bartender was very accomodating and pleasant. There was an older female bartender that my wife and her friend had an issue with . While we were there, the place was pretty dead with it being off season. Well, my wife went to the bar to find the bartender reading in a chair. She said that they were closed.. My wife asked what time they closed, and she said 10. When my wife pointed out that it was only 9:35 the woman simply said that she had everything locked up. It seems that a place obviously struggling to stay afloat would jump at the opportunity to make extra $$.
The restaurant was fair but the coffee shop was pretty good. The in indoor pool was acceptable, the fitness center was very nice, and the grounds were also nice. We shot some archery and enjoyed all that there was to offer. The mini golf was not open yet but looked like a lot of fun. The stables/farm are subcontracted out, and the kids enjoyed that very much. One day, no one showed up though and a family had a scheduled trail ride. They waited around for over an hour and still nothing. I felt bad for them because their kids were so looking forward to it.
The woman in charge of activities was very nice and knowledgeable of the area. I sat through her Monday morning presentation and learned alot. She took the time throughout the week to get to know our names and talk to the kids every time we walked by. We recommend day trips to Bushkill falls, Mt. Airey casino (and outlets), Cabella's, Jim Thorpe, and the Split Rock indoor water park.
In conclusion, when I take everything into context, we had a great week on the cheap and plan on making this our annual spring break destinaiton for its convenience (1.5 hours away), value, and opportunity to escape the cabin fever of winter.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank LeonardsofSherman
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We drove up and saw all the pot holes and then when we checked in and were informed you had to pay $.95 for a roll of t-paper I knew we were not going to be happy. And it only got worse. We requested a non-smoking room and they insisted it was a non smoking room, but it was like living in an old bar and dirty ash tray. The pool closes at 6 pm and the restaurant is only open on Friday and Saturday. Thank goodness the area is beautiful and there is a lot to do, so we made the best of it. But I won't be going back to Mt. Laurel. It might be fine in the hotel but not as a time share.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
The Village at Pocono
The Village at Pocono
#1 of 1 in Long Pond
Split Rock Resort & Golf Club

Been to Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!