“Could have been better.”

Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
“Could have been better.”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We had a good time visiting this beautiful area, but wish we had read other reviews before booking at this resort. To be clear, the staff were all very friendly and helpful and the pool, fitness center and common areas were all clean and equipment fairly modern. Our unit, supposedly a one bedroom timeshare, was, in reality, two old hotel rooms redone to resemble a timeshare. It was gloomy, with furnishings older than I've seen in a long time. It was clean, but that's where the compliments end. The mattresses were sagging and the sofa and chair were awful. We actually stacked the sofa cushions so we could sit without having our knees under our chins. Good thing there were only two of us as I would hate to have had to sleep on that sad sofa. The activities in the area saved the day, but we did end up going home two days early.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wzukowski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Mountain Laurel Resort is just minutes from her sister resort, Split Rock Lodge. If you're interested in a loud and busy resort, book at Split Rock instead. I prefer relaxing next to the pool at Mountain Laurel. The amenities are dated, but they're clean. The mini-golf is cute, simple, and reminds me of being a child. There is a newly made lake and beach. The loveliest time of the year is in early June when the woods along the driveway to the resort are filled with light pink mountain laurel, Pennsylvania's state flower.
I've never eaten at Mountain Laurel, but there have been several upscale resorts at which I've stayed that did not offer a restaurant. Split Rock has a decent and incredibly inexpensive restaurant. There are also bars and an indoor waterpark. There is a bowling alley and a first-run theater there, too. All of the amenities offered at Split Rock are available to Mountain Laurel.
Nearby is the Pocono 500 racetrack. In nearby Tannersville, there is outlet shopping and Mount Airy Casino. Another ten minutes away is Delaware Water Gap, which is gorgeous! New York City is about an hour east of DWG. From the resort, travel south on the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike to Philadelphia.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank standardsandjazz
Mercer Island, Washington
Reviewed 30 March 2012

While visiting my son in White Haven I thought it would be fun to take my grandchildren to the resort for a little R&R.
Quiet? Very. In three days we saw maybe 15 other guests.
Dirty? Not really although I noticed blood on my sheets when I got into bed.
Hungry? Yes. The dining room was closed. We had to order from a pizza place that luckily delivered.
Thirsty? No bar. It was closed.
Pool? Large, warm but so in need of updating that it distracted from an otherwise fun time.
The room was fine but the rest of the place is so rundown and deserted it made it creepy. The staff was ok but didn't go out of their way most of the time. Too bad since it has such potential.

Room Tip: as far away from the ice maker as you can get. it sounded like a freight train
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these White Haven hotels

Highland Mills, New York
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I booked my stay at Mount Laurel before reading any reviews. A week before going, I checked the reviews and panicked. We expected a broken down, decrepit and dirty place. Instead we found a quiet, spacious place located in a good spot. Based on the reviews, I packed my own linen, disinfecting wipes and prepared to leave the next day. Instead I found an older but clean resort with friendly staff. Admittedly, my expectations were incredibly low and this was a very inexpensive getaway through Interval, but my husband and I had a great time.

If you intend to spend most of your vaction in your room, I would not recommend this resort. If your intend to be out and about and want easy access to activities in the Poconos, you should be fine. We had one bedroom with two bathrooms, an extra sink, a kitchenette and livingroom. It was just the two of us, so we have so much room. We were able to get ready at the same time because we had two bathrooms. We did not cook in our room (we never do), but other guests did and everything seemed to be fine.

There is an indoor and outdoor pool, gym, spa and activities room. We went on the self-directed nature trail on the property (we did not see much because of the time of the year) and had fun walking. The stable is closed for the season.

Bottom line - If you require luxury accomodations, then this is not the place for you. If you are open minded and are looking for somewhere to sleep and get ready to go out and see the Poconos, then you should be fine. I don't know that I would want to spend a full week - Friday to Monday was find for us (really more about the Poconos at this time of the year rather than the resort). If you have kids, there is a pool and other activities depending on the season and you have access to Split Rock. I would stay there again. My two stars is not really for "poor", it's jus a little below what I consider average as far as accommodations go.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JulyWed
Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 February 2012

(Photo listed on trip advisor is the Holiday Inn, NOT Mountain Laurel)
Review:
Mountain Laurel is one of three resorts in the Split Rock Resort family. ML is the lowest end of the three with the least amount of amenities. The building dates back to the sixties and was apparently updated in the early nineties when it came under new management. However it is in need of another room by room update, general upkeep seems to be lacking. Cement deck outside of gym needs some work, carpet old and dated, etc. In February looked like they still were decorated for Christmas.
LOCATION: It is located about 10 minutes from Jack Frost/Big Boulder ski area. Other much better ski resorts are 30-40 minutes away. For the warmer weather it is the closest to outstanding bike trails as well as horse riding, white water rafting, and skirmish (paint ball). It was difficult to assess the outside of the resort during the cold weather but we were told they have many outdoor amenities. We were there in February.
They are 8-10minutes away from the sister resort Split Rock (SR). SR has a a good, but not free, indoor water park, bowling alley, movie theater, and very good modern arcade. They also have lake access and other outdoor activities that we heard about but did not see. ML guests have access to the SR amenities.
RESORT:
-Good gym (older weight equipment, but newer cardio equipment, new locker rooms
-Spa
-Nightly movies in the ballroom. Negative note: they were G-PG rated movies but 9 oclock at night. Plus you weren't allowed your own snacks. They sold popcorn, candy, and soda.
-The restaurants are closed until further notice due to a management issue and low guest count.
-You have to pay to play pool and ping pong. We thought this was absolutely ridiculous. Between this and the movie snacks we felt a little of nickle and diming going on.
-You can only access the hot tubs through the spa. After 2:30 you can not get to them. This is a big negative since you would want to use them after skiing or biking all day.
-Good indoor pool. They also have an outdoor one but obviously it was closed while we were there
-Our one bedroom unit had the smallest kitchen we ever saw. It was apparent that years ago they converted two adjoining hotel rooms into a one bedroom unit and built the kitchen into the old closet. But it worked fine and was clean.
-Minimal outlets. No hairdryer in the room but you can borrow one from the front desk.
-Lukewarm water in the shower.
STAFF: Was excellent. Very friendly and accommodating. They try their best, but its tough with what they have to work with. The resort being older and under maintained compared to the other two sister resorts. They provided you a book with things to do in the area, and places to eat which we highly appreciated.
WIFI: Only available in the lobby area.
ACTIVITIES: They made an effort to have a full activity schedule every day. Excellent option for bad weather days. Real old school, like board games, word scramble of the day, and water aerobics. Our kids loved the word scramble.
On our last day we went to the waterpark at Split Rock and received a small discount for staying at the resort. What's nice is that I just got an observer pass and lounged at the waterpark while my teens & husband had fun on the slides and Flo-rider. It was a nice break not dependent on the weather.
OVERALL it was a low frills place to stay. I think it probably has much more to offer in the warmer weather.
The Poconos in general is stuck in the late eighties. Its still a nice time but don't have high expectations of luxury in any place built before 2000.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank tomkatfine
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I had made a reservation online at Moutain Laurel Resort. When I called to confirm, I was told that the rates are not valid and that they have not been updated on the website. So I cannot reserve the room and my card will not be charged. I never received an email regarding the confirmation either. However on Jan 29, I was charged on my card even though I didnt go to the resort.
When I called them to dispute the charges, the person answering was very rude and said that I was lying. She refused to work anything out.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank A A
Branford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Just spent a long weekend there as part of a time share. Would not stay again. I would stay somewhere else but go over to the stables to visit the super nice staff and go horseback riding. The staff at the resort were obviously miserable and very unfriendly. Restaurants and bar are open very limited hours due to no customers and several staff members complained openly to us or within our hearing that there was no business, hours being cut etc... The room was spacious but very dated. Linens and towels very old so would recommend bringing your own. Kitchen pretty well outfitted but the silverware and dishes were dirty (dried food etc...) when I took them out which was pretty gross. cobwebs on the light fixtures too ! I also think it was a cockroach that ran across the bathroom floor but I'm not positive. I realize it is somewhat off-season but still unacceptable for the staff to be so miserable. I will repeat though.. go to the stable and see the animals and chat with the staff. Best part of the weekend and they are not affiliated with the resort !

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Split Rock Resort & Golf Club
The Woodlands Inn
The Woodlands Inn
#8 of 20 in Wilkes-Barre

Been to Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!