“Needs Improvement, has potential.”

Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Me, my husband, 2 year old and cousin stayed here for a week this August.

Pros: Nice staff, sufficient parking, we were able to go to Split Rock (no $1 charge which was nice). We went to Split Rock every day. My little girl loved the "beach" and REALLY loved the indoor pool since it had the little area for smaller kids (at Split Rock) and also liked their indoor waterpark and enjoyed the discount. I liked the hand soap, shampoo and bath soap; I remembered them from when we stayed at Split Rock and was excited that they had the same kind at Mountain Laurel. My daughter also liked the activity room - it was hard to pull her away from it each day because she thought the baby dolls were hers. The little coffee shop is a nice touch and so is the fitness center.

Cons: Towels were thin, the spa was closed "that week", the indoor pool was FREEZING to the point that we could not stand to even dip our feet in it (we did not use the outdoor pool, it was not really hot enough for that) -- I overheard a family say that they had heard that the heat was not working (but for a whole week???), they have two hot tubs - only one was working and there were some days it smelled like mold which made our towels and swimsuits also smell like mold. There was a sheet saying if you needed extra toiletries, lotion, soap etc. you had to pay extra. 90 cents for a roll of toilet paper? No thanks. The decor is definitely dated. I know it's the Poconos, but since it was a timeshare I'd expect more. They have a stable....but no horses (it's closed for some reason...not sure if it is 100% shut down or just temporarily)

The worst: I had read reviews on here about people finding mouse poop so as soon as we opened the door to our room, I immediately checked for bed bugs (none found thank goodness!!) and then we put our stuff down, went to the kitchen and saw mouse poop on the kitchen counter (gross!). We wiped it up and then later, we found more on the counter. Two nights we found mouse poop on the bottom mattress of the bed that me and my husband used. We never saw any mice thank goodness because I would have freaked out.

I gave it an average rating because this place definitely has potential they just need to work on it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa

Reviewed 11 August 2012

This is a old run Down hotel that they tryed to make a time share out of.We just stayed there this week and it's not what you see online.Not very many amenities,No transportation,No movie theater,you have to pay to do your clothes a dollar a load.They do offer a pass to split rock for more stuff to do but who wants to go somewhere else.We think we had mice in our room we seen mouse poop on the stove and drawers and cleaned it up and was back the next night.The back parking lot door didn't work with our key every time I asked they said they would fix it but it only worked one night.When we checked out they told us we were they only that had trouble.Just a very bad experience time share holders beware!!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Norman1golf
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Mountain Laurel Resort is closed for at least a couple of months as they did not pass a safety inspection. The fire safety system including alarms is supposedly being replaced; on the website the reservations are blacked out through August 13. Time will tell whether or not this neglected resort will reopen.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank Zipperiffic
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit over Memorial Day weekend. We arrived on Friday 4/27 at about 6pm. The staff at the front desk was very helpful, and they give you a binder with all the things you need to know, as well as the activity list for the week that you are staying. The unit was clean, and neat. It is two hotel rooms that have been put together to make the one unit. There were 2 double beds and 2 bathrooms, there was also a pull out couch. The couch was very uncomfortable, but the beds were ok. There were plenty of pillows and linens to go around. Each bathroom was well stocked with washcloths, hand towels, and bath towels. The kitchen is well stocked with dishes, glassware, and pot and pans. The stove is an apartment size stove, but it cooked well. Be warned, you will need to have cooking spray for the pans because they are NOT non stick. They do clean well though. There is tons of closet space, and even an armour in the living room that worked well for us.
There are tons of things to do at the resort. There are two pools, one indoor and one outdoor. They opened the outdoor pool early because the weather was so nice. The deck on the indoor pool could have been nicer, it did need some refurbishing, but it was clean. We spent two days at Split Rock, one at the water park, and the other bowling, and playing in the arcade. Split Rock was very noisy, so I was glad that we were staying at Mountain Laurel.
When traveling to the Poconos, one should expect the Poconos. Things are kind of old, but they are clean, and the staff is very accommodating. All the guests I spoke to were having a good time. My family and I had a good time, and will absolutely be returning!
Oh, side note. there is guest laundry, which we used every night. There is nothing like coming home with no laundry to do.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with small children, ask to be in the 300 block of rooms. They open onto the pl...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank BabyDan
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The resort looks nice from a distance, but once inside, you can see it is in great need of repair and cleaning. We had a huge bug in our bathtub. Wifi was only in the lobby, However, they have a great gym and a good restaurant. The place seemed weird, like it was haunted.

Room Tip: Look for a more modern hotel in the area.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Stewart S
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We had a good time visiting this beautiful area, but wish we had read other reviews before booking at this resort. To be clear, the staff were all very friendly and helpful and the pool, fitness center and common areas were all clean and equipment fairly modern. Our unit, supposedly a one bedroom timeshare, was, in reality, two old hotel rooms redone to resemble a timeshare. It was gloomy, with furnishings older than I've seen in a long time. It was clean, but that's where the compliments end. The mattresses were sagging and the sofa and chair were awful. We actually stacked the sofa cushions so we could sit without having our knees under our chins. Good thing there were only two of us as I would hate to have had to sleep on that sad sofa. The activities in the area saved the day, but we did end up going home two days early.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wzukowski
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Mountain Laurel Resort is just minutes from her sister resort, Split Rock Lodge. If you're interested in a loud and busy resort, book at Split Rock instead. I prefer relaxing next to the pool at Mountain Laurel. The amenities are dated, but they're clean. The mini-golf is cute, simple, and reminds me of being a child. There is a newly made lake and beach. The loveliest time of the year is in early June when the woods along the driveway to the resort are filled with light pink mountain laurel, Pennsylvania's state flower.
I've never eaten at Mountain Laurel, but there have been several upscale resorts at which I've stayed that did not offer a restaurant. Split Rock has a decent and incredibly inexpensive restaurant. There are also bars and an indoor waterpark. There is a bowling alley and a first-run theater there, too. All of the amenities offered at Split Rock are available to Mountain Laurel.
Nearby is the Pocono 500 racetrack. In nearby Tannersville, there is outlet shopping and Mount Airy Casino. Another ten minutes away is Delaware Water Gap, which is gorgeous! New York City is about an hour east of DWG. From the resort, travel south on the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike to Philadelphia.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
#2 of 3 in Lake Harmony
Lake Harmony Inn
Lake Harmony Inn
#1 of 1 in Lake Harmony

Been to Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!