“Stuck in time”

Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We traveled late September 2011 and the place was very quiet. We figured that the summer has passed and busy season was behind them. The resort is in deep financial trouble and can closed at any time. No bell hop service, Just help yourself to a cart a haul your own luggage. The lobby smells musty and EVERYTHING dated. Staff is very friendly a tried to help us with events and local things to do. There was a bingo night in the hotel and my kids were excited because our home resort gets 200-400 people for bingo with great prices. Well, it was my 2 kids and one ederly couple. That was it.
Our suite was very large and roomy. 2 bedrooms, 3 baths, full kitchen. It was dated but comfortable. We did have a small ant problem in the kitchen. 4th floor view off the balcony was nice.
They do have horseback riding right on the premises and the price was reasonable. My daughter's horse was a bit frisky and she backed out of the ride and they had no problem refunding the money. We played tennis on their old outdoor courts and swam in the indoor pool. They did have a small game room but not much else to do at the resort. We mostly did day trips to the beautiful areas in the region. There is plenty of white water rafting very close nearby.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Jospeh S
There are newer reviews for Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My friend & I stayed from 8/25/12 thru 9/1/12. When I booked it thru Interval International, there was only a studio available. I called them when I got my confirmation & asked to be put on a waiting list for a 1 bedroom. To my surprise, we were already upgraded to the 1 bedroom when we checked in. Our rooms a little outdated but very clean. The staff was very nice & polite at all times. Anything wrong in our unit was fixed almost immediately (2 lamps needed bulbs & we needed a new shower fixture in one of the bathrooms). We had the outdoor pool practically to ourselves every day which was great. The water was quite cold, but you got used to it after a while. The indoor pool was also colder than you'd expect. We really didn't use it much as the weather was beautiful. We went to Split Rock to check it out, but never went back. Too many kids running around. The only disappointment was that the spa was closed. They are in the process of renovating so the bar & restaurant were also closed. Hopefully, when they are finished renovating, it will be better.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank PatB0912
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Me, my husband, 2 year old and cousin stayed here for a week this August.

Pros: Nice staff, sufficient parking, we were able to go to Split Rock (no $1 charge which was nice). We went to Split Rock every day. My little girl loved the "beach" and REALLY loved the indoor pool since it had the little area for smaller kids (at Split Rock) and also liked their indoor waterpark and enjoyed the discount. I liked the hand soap, shampoo and bath soap; I remembered them from when we stayed at Split Rock and was excited that they had the same kind at Mountain Laurel. My daughter also liked the activity room - it was hard to pull her away from it each day because she thought the baby dolls were hers. The little coffee shop is a nice touch and so is the fitness center.

Cons: Towels were thin, the spa was closed "that week", the indoor pool was FREEZING to the point that we could not stand to even dip our feet in it (we did not use the outdoor pool, it was not really hot enough for that) -- I overheard a family say that they had heard that the heat was not working (but for a whole week???), they have two hot tubs - only one was working and there were some days it smelled like mold which made our towels and swimsuits also smell like mold. There was a sheet saying if you needed extra toiletries, lotion, soap etc. you had to pay extra. 90 cents for a roll of toilet paper? No thanks. The decor is definitely dated. I know it's the Poconos, but since it was a timeshare I'd expect more. They have a stable....but no horses (it's closed for some reason...not sure if it is 100% shut down or just temporarily)

The worst: I had read reviews on here about people finding mouse poop so as soon as we opened the door to our room, I immediately checked for bed bugs (none found thank goodness!!) and then we put our stuff down, went to the kitchen and saw mouse poop on the kitchen counter (gross!). We wiped it up and then later, we found more on the counter. Two nights we found mouse poop on the bottom mattress of the bed that me and my husband used. We never saw any mice thank goodness because I would have freaked out.

I gave it an average rating because this place definitely has potential they just need to work on it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2012

This is a old run Down hotel that they tryed to make a time share out of.We just stayed there this week and it's not what you see online.Not very many amenities,No transportation,No movie theater,you have to pay to do your clothes a dollar a load.They do offer a pass to split rock for more stuff to do but who wants to go somewhere else.We think we had mice in our room we seen mouse poop on the stove and drawers and cleaned it up and was back the next night.The back parking lot door didn't work with our key every time I asked they said they would fix it but it only worked one night.When we checked out they told us we were they only that had trouble.Just a very bad experience time share holders beware!!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Norman1golf
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Mountain Laurel Resort is closed for at least a couple of months as they did not pass a safety inspection. The fire safety system including alarms is supposedly being replaced; on the website the reservations are blacked out through August 13. Time will tell whether or not this neglected resort will reopen.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank Zipperiffic
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit over Memorial Day weekend. We arrived on Friday 4/27 at about 6pm. The staff at the front desk was very helpful, and they give you a binder with all the things you need to know, as well as the activity list for the week that you are staying. The unit was clean, and neat. It is two hotel rooms that have been put together to make the one unit. There were 2 double beds and 2 bathrooms, there was also a pull out couch. The couch was very uncomfortable, but the beds were ok. There were plenty of pillows and linens to go around. Each bathroom was well stocked with washcloths, hand towels, and bath towels. The kitchen is well stocked with dishes, glassware, and pot and pans. The stove is an apartment size stove, but it cooked well. Be warned, you will need to have cooking spray for the pans because they are NOT non stick. They do clean well though. There is tons of closet space, and even an armour in the living room that worked well for us.
There are tons of things to do at the resort. There are two pools, one indoor and one outdoor. They opened the outdoor pool early because the weather was so nice. The deck on the indoor pool could have been nicer, it did need some refurbishing, but it was clean. We spent two days at Split Rock, one at the water park, and the other bowling, and playing in the arcade. Split Rock was very noisy, so I was glad that we were staying at Mountain Laurel.
When traveling to the Poconos, one should expect the Poconos. Things are kind of old, but they are clean, and the staff is very accommodating. All the guests I spoke to were having a good time. My family and I had a good time, and will absolutely be returning!
Oh, side note. there is guest laundry, which we used every night. There is nothing like coming home with no laundry to do.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with small children, ask to be in the 300 block of rooms. They open onto the pl...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank BabyDan
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The resort looks nice from a distance, but once inside, you can see it is in great need of repair and cleaning. We had a huge bug in our bathtub. Wifi was only in the lobby, However, they have a great gym and a good restaurant. The place seemed weird, like it was haunted.

Room Tip: Look for a more modern hotel in the area.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 3 in Lake Harmony
Lake Harmony Inn
Lake Harmony Inn
#1 of 1 in Lake Harmony

Been to Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!