“Horrible time and we have time share here”

Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Mice droppings, food waS eaten off counter. So out dated nothing for kids. Place is a dump needs serious help! Changed our room and still droppings in other. Now we are here now on vacation and they are telling us they can't do anything. We pay enough for our time share.

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank Pumpkinhead129

Reviewed 25 October 2012

So I was pleasantly suprised with this resort. While there were limited outside activities-it is October-the resort was very well put together. The pool was the perfect temp and plenty large to accomodate those who were active with volleyball and those who preferred to float quietly in the deep end. The sauna was wonderful and the hottubs were beautiful-very well placed and great temp with the exception of one night that was a bit cool and then too hot after they turned it up.

The bar area was elegant and the tree top launge was a nice get away from the hustle and bustle of the downstairs bar. One wing of rooms was being renovated and I look forward to seeing that next time. The room I was in was a simple two queen room. Decent bathroom and great hot water and pressure. Nice view of the outside pool and wooded area. There is a shared balcony between every two rooms and no lock on the screen so you have to shut the glass door and blinds if you have neighbors but we did not. Also, the ledge that runs along the balcony joins them all so if you are concerned about your privacy keep your door closed and locked. The only real room complaint was the bed-hard as a rock! I hope that gets changed with the renovation! The tv was an outdated tube style but functioned fine and I wasnt there to tune in anyway.

The grounds were nicely kept and secluded even though it wasnt too far from the expressway. 8 minutes in either direction got you to a strip mall or a town for food/beverages/supplies. There was no onsite restaurant the weekend I was there so you do have to go out for food but the hotel staff was great with suggestions and there is a coffee/snack shop as well as an activity room. I would like to suggest they invest in wi-fi for the rooms-its only available in the lobby area.

All in all it was an inexpensive weekend getaway and I would go back. I'm looking forward to the horseback riding next time and maybe a trip to the mini beach they have!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a balcony facing the wooded back lot. The parking lot isnt nice to see in th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I have to admit that we arrived terrified to the counter of the hotel, after reading all the terrible reviews that are here. After asking the staff (who were aware of the bad reputation internet was causing them), they assured that although some of the stories told here were actually true, they took action and ensured that this never occurred again. Our stay was very peaceful, and did not experience any of the scary situations that people mentioned. I seriously believe that someone just had a bad experience and discharged all the bad comments on TripAdvisor, ruining the reputation of a good hotel. On the other hand, the apartments and overall buildings are old, carpeted pretty much dated. This however, worked for us since we just wanted to enjoy the mountains, horseback riding and the pool. I have to say that I had the best sleep in the tranquility of the contryside like I had not had in a while.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Julitaa03
Reviewed 23 September 2012

The most important thing for me at a resort is a friendly, helpful staff. The front desk staff exceeded my expectations. The activities center staff, not so much. This place was built probably in the 50's or 60's and I bet it was awesome back when. They're renovating now, and when done, it could be awesome again. Unfortunately, the bar and restaurant were closed during our visit, I think we'd have enjoyed them and the resort could probably use the revenue. Our 1-bedroom was clean and reasonably comfortable, although the mattresses were awful and had no support. I had to reprogram the TV's to get all the channels listed on the channel guide, but after I did there was a good selection of cable channels. We thought the pool was cold, and one of the two hot tubs was out of service, but that was OK as we were the only people there when we went. As has been noted, this place has a mouse issue. We didn't see any droppings when we arrived, but we did see a mouse three times. It would come in under the kitchen door, look around, then leave back into the hall. Seemed smart, after housekeeping gave us a couple glue traps to set down, we didn't see it again. If I was in charge of the renovation, the first thing I'd do is improve all the entrance doors and add door sweeps to the room doors to keep any wayward mice out in the hall. The resort is nestled right into the woods and there will always be mice, but more could be done to keep them at bay.

We really liked the excellent mini golf course (free to guests), and how many resorts can say they provide archery targets with a safety backdrop out in the back? Wish I'd known, I'd have driven instead of flying and brought my bow along.

Mountain Laurel has a really convenient location right off route 940, but is set back far enough that you don't really know it or have to worry about kids, dogs, etc.

You can't help but feel that this place is teetering between extinction and rebirth. I really hope they complete the renovations and make it back, I had a good feeling about the place and wish them well.

Room Tip: I thought our room in the 300's was nice, with a ground floor entrance and a quiet 2nd story bal...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark C
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We traveled late September 2011 and the place was very quiet. We figured that the summer has passed and busy season was behind them. The resort is in deep financial trouble and can closed at any time. No bell hop service, Just help yourself to a cart a haul your own luggage. The lobby smells musty and EVERYTHING dated. Staff is very friendly a tried to help us with events and local things to do. There was a bingo night in the hotel and my kids were excited because our home resort gets 200-400 people for bingo with great prices. Well, it was my 2 kids and one ederly couple. That was it.
Our suite was very large and roomy. 2 bedrooms, 3 baths, full kitchen. It was dated but comfortable. We did have a small ant problem in the kitchen. 4th floor view off the balcony was nice.
They do have horseback riding right on the premises and the price was reasonable. My daughter's horse was a bit frisky and she backed out of the ride and they had no problem refunding the money. We played tennis on their old outdoor courts and swam in the indoor pool. They did have a small game room but not much else to do at the resort. We mostly did day trips to the beautiful areas in the region. There is plenty of white water rafting very close nearby.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Jospeh S
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My friend & I stayed from 8/25/12 thru 9/1/12. When I booked it thru Interval International, there was only a studio available. I called them when I got my confirmation & asked to be put on a waiting list for a 1 bedroom. To my surprise, we were already upgraded to the 1 bedroom when we checked in. Our rooms a little outdated but very clean. The staff was very nice & polite at all times. Anything wrong in our unit was fixed almost immediately (2 lamps needed bulbs & we needed a new shower fixture in one of the bathrooms). We had the outdoor pool practically to ourselves every day which was great. The water was quite cold, but you got used to it after a while. The indoor pool was also colder than you'd expect. We really didn't use it much as the weather was beautiful. We went to Split Rock to check it out, but never went back. Too many kids running around. The only disappointment was that the spa was closed. They are in the process of renovating so the bar & restaurant were also closed. Hopefully, when they are finished renovating, it will be better.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank PatB0912
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Me, my husband, 2 year old and cousin stayed here for a week this August.

Pros: Nice staff, sufficient parking, we were able to go to Split Rock (no $1 charge which was nice). We went to Split Rock every day. My little girl loved the "beach" and REALLY loved the indoor pool since it had the little area for smaller kids (at Split Rock) and also liked their indoor waterpark and enjoyed the discount. I liked the hand soap, shampoo and bath soap; I remembered them from when we stayed at Split Rock and was excited that they had the same kind at Mountain Laurel. My daughter also liked the activity room - it was hard to pull her away from it each day because she thought the baby dolls were hers. The little coffee shop is a nice touch and so is the fitness center.

Cons: Towels were thin, the spa was closed "that week", the indoor pool was FREEZING to the point that we could not stand to even dip our feet in it (we did not use the outdoor pool, it was not really hot enough for that) -- I overheard a family say that they had heard that the heat was not working (but for a whole week???), they have two hot tubs - only one was working and there were some days it smelled like mold which made our towels and swimsuits also smell like mold. There was a sheet saying if you needed extra toiletries, lotion, soap etc. you had to pay extra. 90 cents for a roll of toilet paper? No thanks. The decor is definitely dated. I know it's the Poconos, but since it was a timeshare I'd expect more. They have a stable....but no horses (it's closed for some reason...not sure if it is 100% shut down or just temporarily)

The worst: I had read reviews on here about people finding mouse poop so as soon as we opened the door to our room, I immediately checked for bed bugs (none found thank goodness!!) and then we put our stuff down, went to the kitchen and saw mouse poop on the kitchen counter (gross!). We wiped it up and then later, we found more on the counter. Two nights we found mouse poop on the bottom mattress of the bed that me and my husband used. We never saw any mice thank goodness because I would have freaked out.

I gave it an average rating because this place definitely has potential they just need to work on it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Jim Thorpe
Split Rock Resort
Split Rock Resort
#2 of 3 in Lake Harmony

Been to Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!