“Critters Odors and Issues”

Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
Pennsville, New Jersey
“Critters Odors and Issues”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

extremely disappointing, room was not only out of date and musty, but the kitchen had roaches...there was actually a vcr in the room. little kids running through the halls after 12 am...no drinks allowed anywhere, but your room...bar onsite rarely opened...hot tub, only open in am 9 to 1 and indoor pool was rented out, certain times could not swim... no entertainment or food onsite (prob due to the roaches) we left a day early, yes it was that bad... upon check out, the girl was smug and didn't even ask why? ... the best part of the stay was the maid she was pleasant..although she banged on door, forever til you opened (yes there were no do not disturb signs, ugh!) ...I was soo embarrassed as this was suppose to be a special weekend for my husbands Birthday...whirlpool was shown in ad for resort when arrived..standard tub...nothing was right.

Room Tip: Don't book this resort, as it is anything, but.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank KellyKali

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I arrived a day late from my Check in date it was so disappointing, when i went in to check in the lobby was so dingy and dark. I checked in and the lady explained everything i needed to know handed me a book and two actual keys for the room. My husband and i drove around to our room which was a one bedroom when we opened the door the room had a horrible smell. I did bring Lysol with me i sprayed the room but it didn't help for long i had to spray the room every time we came in and when we ere in the room. The next surprise was in the bathroom the shower curtain was very dirty and i was really disgusted i didn't even want to use the shower i went to the lobby to complain and the lady stated i am sorry so i waited to see if housekeeping was coming to change the curtain no one came i had to call them again and the young man who answered came to the room and changed the curtain and stated he is having issues with housekeeping. I was supposed to be there for six days and i checked out on my third day. The worst part no restaurants to accommodate us they were closed down. They had buckets in the lobby catching a leak and no one was around cleaning. The hotel has a bad smell it should be closed or renovated. I couldn't even use the outside pool because the pool was not clean it had stuff i guess from the trees. The worst part i had to cut my vacation we couldn't stay there another day with the smell. There is nothing about this place been a resort.

Room Tip: I can't recommend a different room. Just make sure you don't make any reservations here.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Liz S

Travellers are raving about these White Haven hotels

vestal
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I will start by saying I can see why people say it has potential. Driving up the long entryway you first encounter a big hole in the middle of the road. The resort is very spacious. We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit and we had plenty of space. However, the room and the resort itself is in need of some major renovation. The furniture is very old and dingy. It rained hard one day while we were there and they has 2 buckets in the hallway to catch water from leaks. Those buckets were there the whole time. we never saw anyone cleaning, or maintenance staff, or any groundskeeping. The pool is nice, but the area surrounding the pool (including terrace and steps) is literally crumbling down. There is an indoor pool which we did enjoy. There was a bar, which never seemed to be open for business. It was only roped off so we went in to look around and the tables and seats were dirty and stained. i couldnt go in there even if it was open. My overall impression of the resort is that we felt like we were beamed back to 1973. The lobby has a beautiful stone wall, but that was its best feature. For the amenities:
They have 2 tennis courts, but one is not usable, meaning there is no net and the court is heaving. The court we used is not even, and there are weeds growing up the middle.
The kids played basketball on the adjacent courts. They provided the basketballs, but they hardly bounced.
There is a beautiful mini golf course, but it is quite a hike from the resort. (. At least 1/2 mile, which they neglect to inform you at the activity center)
There is a coffee shop where you can buy coffee and snacks. We stopped in daily, and the staff was friendly.
There is an activity center. There was good and bad...the resort offered local trips to activities but the staff didn't know any of the details. For example, we took advantage of the deal offered to us through the resort to go white water rafting. The cost was $35 and included transportation and lunch. However, the staff didn't know what time the bus would pick us up. I had to call the company for the details. We went to Deer Park stables for horseback riding and I highly recommend that. We also went to the boulder field at Hickory run park which was very cool and a must see. You may seem like you a driving on a dirt road forever, but its worth it when you get there. Just be sure to check park hours.
We used the amenities at the sister resort, Split Rock, which was beautiful. They should close Mountain Laurel and focus all their time, energy and money into Split Rock since they are obviously neglecting Mount Laurel. We definitely will not ever return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank krush98
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This place is in serious need of some updating as many of the reviews have already pointed out. They do still however have quite a few amenities that you can take advantage of. The biggest selling point of this place is the proximity to many of the Pocono area state parks and other attractions. Also, since it is a sister resort of Split Rock you get to use those amenities at a discounted rate.

I took my wife and two nephews (7 & 11) there for a weeklong trip. They enjoyed the indoor & outdoor pools on multiple occasions. We all went and used the archery range which was very fun and killed a couple hours. The miniature golf course is actually very nice and we took advantage of that a couple times. On one of the rainy days, my wife and the nephews went to the activities center and had fun with indoor activities. I used the gym once and it wasn't awful but was a bit dingy and the equipment was all out of date.

Not a lot of bells and whistles anymore but it was certainly not the worst place that I have stayed. I would hope that they will be fixing the stairs by the pool and modernizing the interior and exterior. I do however get the feeling that they may just let this place close forever in the next year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Shawn M
Maryland Heights, Missouri
Reviewed 23 July 2014

just perfect for our needs, not too elegant, but comfortable. Nice staff, helpful, clean property, beds were ok, very outdated design but not too bad. loved all the amenities on site, we enjoyed the sports in the area tremendously

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank c l
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

This place has so much potential, location, and amenities. But, unfortunately it is mediocre at best. With the right investors this place could be wonderful.

Pro's
Located right off the turnpike -next to Wawa

Clean rooms

Great water pressure in the showers

Ameneties, 2 pools, archery, basketball, tennis, mini golf, game room

Good selection of cable channels

Cons
Everything is old and desperately needs to be remodeled.

90's decor and lots of fake plants

Poor lighting i

They had actual keys, and a $25 lost key fee.

Parking Lots need to be repaved

Stray cat roaming the property

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Tonya B
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 18 July 2014

It is a place with a lot of potencial. I traded a studio for a one beedroom, which had a big bedroom with two beds. A full bathroom with bathtub and even an extra vanity and sink. The beds were very comfortable. It also had a large living area with a large couch that opened into a large bed for two. TV with a lot of cable channels in both rooms. It also had a small kitchen equipped and a dining area.
. The lobby is nice and the staff was really nice.
were very nice.
The bad news is that the place is very neglected. The heated pool is not hated. The ladies room by the pool is closed down, the floor by the pool is all broken, the steps to the outdoor pool are all broken and closed, there is no restaurant only a very small coffee shop. The fitness room is really nice. When

Of
was very nice.

The public areas are in terrible shape, the supposedly heated pool is ice cold,
the ladies room is closed, has not worked in at least three months, the floor by the indoor pool is all broken up. The steps to the outdoor pool are closed because they are all broken up. The fitness center is really nice. There is no restaurant, just a little coffee shop. If you want to rest, it is a very quite place.
It is very nicely located, so, that you cannot get lost, and right near all the highways.
It is a pity, I was told that years ago, it was a beautiful place, which I can believe, that it had a beautiful restaurant, and a tavern. They still

Room Tip: Have timeshare, I really don't what the regular rooms look like, all I know is that they migt be...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
The Village at Pocono
The Village at Pocono
#1 of 1 in Long Pond
Split Rock Resort & Golf Club

Been to Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!