“Rooms Terrible, Facilities nice”

Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
Reviewed 18 August 2004

We stayed 2 nights here in early August 2004. Made a last minute reservation, and felt lucky they had a room. Walking into the resort, we thought we hit the jackpot - first appearances were very nice. But, you get what you pay for. Very reasonable rates, and the facilities were nice - indoor and outdoor pools, horseback riding, restaurants - even had a children's program to entertain them for a few hours at a very reasonable cost. Staff was nice and attentive. But our room was TERRIBLE - very old, and although it was probably clean enough, the furniture and carpets and bedding were so worn and old that it didn't feel clean. The patio furniture was a disgrace - so dirty we had to put towels on the chairs to sit down, bugs and cobwebs on the patio table. The patio railing was made of wood and in such bad shape, that I actually got a splinter. The bathroom had peeling wallpaper, water stained ceiling, and a bulb was not installed in the heat lamp because of the water damage. The carpet throughout was old and was dirty, although well vacuumed. Droopy & small beds. Old and worn curtains, dirty sliding glass doors. We won't return unless we hear that the place has been completely revamped. Turns out this is a timeshare place, and the sample rooms are lovely - but what a disappointment when you see the "real rooms". Glad we weren't there on a "program" deal. Has a lot of potential, but needs some serious room redecorating.

16  Thank TravelinChick328

Columbia, Pa.
Reviewed 16 May 2004

I read the reviews here and I was very nervous. Husband booked it as a surprise so I sucked it up.
Upon arrival the place didn't look to bad. Lobby looks like a nursing home but not horrible. People at front desk were not very friendly. Not rude but not friendly. We went horseback riding at the stable and it was wonderful! Big draft horses and a professional safe staff. Then it was back to check into our room. We went past a model time share suite and it was beautiful! Well appointed and comfortable. That was NOT what we got. Our room was at the back of a dank smelly hallway. Dark, dingy, wallpaper peeling, dirty carpets and tiny double beds. We had a lovely view of peeling paint on the balcony ceiling. You do NOT want room 626!
The steam rooms were out of order. One of the jacuzzi's was out of order. The outside deck was out of order. The internet machine was out of order. The indoor pool closed early due to lightening outside.
The staff is the spa was very friendly and the massage was amazing! So were the bartenders. We ate at Split Rock. It sucked. $25 bucks for their 4 drunken sailors and it looked like the sailors got to the meal before I did! The crab cake was literally a bite! Half a lobster tail. 2 shrimp and 3 baby scallops. Chicken alfredo tasted like it came right out of a jar.
One thing that was refreshing about Mt. Laurel was it seemed to cater to minorities. Something you did not find at Split Rock which seemed more for the over 50 crowd.
If Mt. Laurel would update their rooms and put a little more effort into their appearance I would definitely return for the spa and recreational facilities. However as it stands I could never stomach paying money to stay in a room such as 626 again!
The spa facilities are well worth the price. I have seen better lodging facilities at my dogs boarding kennel.
So maybe instead of building a lake or pond or whatever that mud hole is going to be, they should put that money into refurbishing their rooms.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed 15 April 2004

I called to make a reservatio for my mom for her birthday/mothers day (both are in may). The old man answers the phone with an attitude like it's not his job to take reservations. He flats out says, "I'll tell you right now that there isn't any rooms". He checks in the computer and he found two vacant suites. I booked a reservation (or so I thought) and he took down all my information and Visa card number to reserve the room. I called back weeks later because I had to cancel unexpectantly, and this time a woman answered and told me that my reservation was never booked. She couldn't find any reservation under my name which doesn't make sense because he took down my Visa number and I had to spell out my name to him. I told her about this man and how rude he was and she says, "no, he isn't rude", that told me right there that they are all very unprofessionally trained. So I would have taken my mom all the way to Whitehaven, PA to find out that I had no reservation.This guy really needs to be fired because he is extremely unpleasant over the phone and it doesn't motivate customers to want to spend their money to stay there. It doesn't just effect the hotel it also effects the people like myself who are from out of town and would like to treat there loved ones to the spa and they unfortunately have to deal with RUDE people at the hotel. You would have to try to get to the spa without staying at the resort somehow. It's terrible and I really hope that I don't see any charges on my credit card from him pretending to book my reservation.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 12 April 2004

I made a reservation there because I wanted to treat my mom to the spa.
The man who answers the phone is definately a jerk! He tells me with a nasty attitude that they're aren't any rooms available! (but with a nasty tone like he didn't want to be bothered). He checked and there was 2 rooms available. Everytime I would ask him a question he would give me a nasty attitude or pretend like he didn't hear me.

I asked him how can I get in touch with the spa? he said that "you called reservations and I can't transfer you". I told him that the only number on the website is the one I called. "he repeated and told me "well you called resrvations" and I'm thinking I'm aware of that so why the hell is he still telling me this. Anyway I may cancel my reservation because this guy doesn't make people want to stay at the hotel.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
White Haven, PA
Reviewed 15 February 2004

My family and I were very excited when we bought timeshare at the Mountain Laurel. This excitement quickly passed and was replaced by terrible disappointment. The management clearly did not want local owners to use the facilities at the resort. After several persuasive letters, management finally refunded my money. If you are a local owner and want a refund, be persistent and you just may get it.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

#1 of 1 in Jim Thorpe
Split Rock Resort
Split Rock Resort
#2 of 3 in Lake Harmony

Been to Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!