“Good for a getaway.”

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
New York City, New York
“Good for a getaway.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 2 years in a row, both mini ski getaways for the weekend. From NYC it's only 2 and a half hours away.

I went here with friends last year and we had a really good time because there's nightlife attached to the hotel. It's rural nightlife however but if you don't mind that it's really inexpensive and fun to people watch.

This year however was a family trip with my family (2 kids, 9 and 5). The best part of the woodlands in this instance were the restaurants attached. After a long day skiing, we were able to go back and shower and head to dinner at the brick over pizza place inside (the wait staff is just the best). I also realized that if you're there for a family vacation, the attached nightlife can be a little much, drunk girls in short sparkly dresses holding their heels and laughing loudly at 2 am is a bit annoying. Hearing the guest dj's entire set was not fun. As are the thin walls. Thankfully if you ski or snowboard enough you'll be too exhausted to notice.

Overall it's a great getaway in an inexpensive area. Snö mountain is 20 minutes away (just past some outlets) and Mohegan Sun is up the street so there's always something to. But make sure you're doing either or.

• Stayed February 2013
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete your online review. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay. The staff and management in both restaurants will be happy to hear about your comments.

570-824-9831

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Me and a few girls from work stayed here one night as we just wanted a weekend trip to Mohegan sun. we booked the "business suite" and it all seemed great at first until I found a stink bug on my pillow, the nightstand, the walls, the windows and the lamp. we found 8 bugs all over, and when calling to complain the entire staff acts like it's not a bug deal, "oh they're just stink bugs" is what they said. also, the club is insanely loud and you can hear the music all the way up in the tower where we stayed. also, the staff is very unfriendly, epecially the bartenders at crescenzos. overall terrible experience. they told us we could talk to the morning, and when we tried she was "out of town". would not reccomend

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank staciiiolson1
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear Melanie,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your online review regarding your recent stay at The Woodlands Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the cleanliness of your room.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Wilkes Barre. Please feel free to contact me directly at: rosskornfeld@thewoodlandsresort.com.

Albany, New York, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

I should have abandoned booking this when the booking agent on the phone hung up on me. It looks OK from the outside, but the walls are paper thin, so neighbors talking (even in a normal voice) at 2 am sounds very loud, and you won't sleep; the pillows are some of the most uncomfortable pillows I have ever encountered; and the hot tub is gross and is in dire need of being cleaned. I've never so overpaid for a hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room not at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Melanie M
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear Melanie,

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding just about everything you encountered on your recent visit. Why didn't you bring any of this up while you were here? We would have loved the opportunity to make it right.

Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

Had a busines trip that led me to the Woodlands Inn on 3/4 to 3/5/13. The property is lovely, with multiple restaurants, and a giant hot tub room. Free buffet breakfast (yum), free $10 in slot play at Mohecan Sun (with free shuttle transportation there), and a free drink coupon made for nice extra touches. The king side bed was extraordinarily comfy, I had a flat screen TV in my (albeit small) room with patio, very nice grounds and common areas. I'll look forward to coming back here again.

Room Tip: No fridge in the room, so don't pack snacks that need to be cooled.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete your online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

If we can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us at 570-824-9831.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

My husband and I spent one night at The Woodlands Inn after finding out they are part of the Ascend Collection of hotels. We had such a wonderful experience at another Ascend Collection hotel that we thought we would try this one. It is a lovely resort, having many amenities such as an indoor and outdoor pool, a huge jacuzzi, fitness center, nightclub, and restaurants. We enjoyed the jacuzzi and indoor pool, had a delicious breakfast, and a drink at the bar. The resort provides a free shuttle to the Mohegan Sun Casino nearby. We took advantage of that as well and really had a good time. Our room was quite nice also, not large, but had everything we needed and was beautifully decorated - as was the rest of the resort. The only thing I could find fault with was the cover charge the nightclub was charging. I think guests should be able to get in without having to pay because the club is open to the public and it seemed to be well attended by area residents.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, 8 March 2013

As part of the Ascend Collection from Choice Hotels we do participate in the Choice Privileges reward program, earn valuable reward points with each stay.

Tinton Falls, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

Just a short drive from the Jersey Shore for a weekend getaway. My husband and I met 8 friends at The Woodlands for a 3 day weekend. We could not have been happier with the cleansiness of the rooms and friendly atmospher from all the staff. I would recommend this hotel to singles, families of any age. Christine C

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out your online survey with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

I came to a friend's wedding, It was spectacular! This is such a clean, warm and five stay feel for a great price bargain! Thank you so much for helping me with my every request! I will be back at every chance I get!

Room Tip: The Jacuzzi is the best ever!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete your online review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!