“Great find in Wilkes-Barre”

The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Frederick, Maryland
“Great find in Wilkes-Barre”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our way through PA during our vacation. We chose this hotel because it looked good and was pet friendly. When we arrived we found the restaurant to be quite good. We all ordered pizza and it was delicious. We tried the indoor pool and it was fairly large and warm. The hot tub was massive and just the right temperature. We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked another night the next weekend when we traveled back through town. The next weekend they were two hours late getting us into a room. While we weren't happy about the late check in they did allow us to check out two hours late. We definitely plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side appear to be the most quiet.
3 Thank RAE913
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out your online review. I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words, unfortunately, on your return trip we had a large group checkout and couldn't turn the rooms over quickly enough.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future and getting you into your room as quickly as possible.

570-824-9831

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed at the Woodlands Inn this past weekend for an athletic training conference. It was close to the highway, but surprisingly, from within the walls, and even out on the scenic deck, there were hardly any traffic sounds. The staff was very helpful, and nice. There were two very nice restraunts in the hotel, and 3 types of bar areas. The deck overlooks a beautiful stream and mountainside. My room was beautifully lit, and had a comfortable bed, large tv (which I hardly used, because of all the other stuff to experience!), and complimentary keurig coffee machines. Most of the rooms seemed to have some sort of balcony, and outdoor entrance. There were a ton of complimentary drink deals, food deals, and spa deals. The Alexander Spa was a great place to go for some pampering before and after the conference. The last day, although checking out early, I was able to enjoy the pool, and jacuzzi one last time. It definitely made me feel luxurious all weekend long!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony, or court yard area. It was lovely to sit out, and meet the neighbors.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rose F
Thank you for taking the time to fill out your online review with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff and the staff members of Alexander's, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed at The Woodland this week on our way to CT. Pleasantly surprised by our whole experience. Close to the expressway but did not hear the traffic, remodeled interior, friendly staff, complimentary drinks, brick oven pizza, and babbling brook outside balcony. What more can you want after ten hours on the road. Great value.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete your review. Glad to see you were able to relax after a ten hour drive.

Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Bethlehem, PA
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Being from out of town for our daughters wedding in Dallas, we decided to make The Woodlands Inn the place to stay for our wedding guests and us. From the jacuzzi, indoor pool, nightly entertainment, outside bar area to the restaurants, we were so happy with everything. We definitely will be coming back for a sistas weekend. Melinda at the front desk was also so helpful with assisting the guests when the buses came to take them to the wedding reception. The sales department was always willing to update me with the guest list of rooms for our group. So close to shopping for those last minute items needed for the wedding. We reserved a suite with a kitchen and it was so convenient with all the bridesmaids being together and getting ready with the bride.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower are quieter but are far from the restaurants and night time entertainment. It'...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to fill out your online review with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with Melinda and the entire staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2013

While visiting with my family in PA, we decided to make an overnight trip to Wilkes-Barre to visit the Mohican casino. I am so glad we did, as after we lost all our $$$ at the casino, we checked in. We received discounts for their restaurant for food and cocktails. I totally enjoyed both at their bistro called the Cresendo.

We had a good night sleep in the room as the beds were very comfortable, better than what I have at home. I was pleasantly surprised that they had a Keurig coffee maker, as I am a coffee snob. :)

We enjoyed the hot breakfast which was included in our room rate. It was better than any other I had in different hotels such as Best Western, La Quinta and the Hampton. Our breakfast included whatever one can want: waffles with fresh fruit and whipped cream; sausage; scrambled eggs; potatoes. These all tasted homemade, not like the usual chain stuff. They also had fresh fruit, juices, yogurt, cereal and coffee. It was wonderful. Did I mention, I am a coffee snob? I had a cappuccino at the café bar and it was excellent.

We also had dinner the evening before and we received a discount on our meal and my lemon drop martini. My brother and I each ordered salad, which I was unable to complete. I had the Western salad and it was excellent with turkey breast, feta cheese, hard boiled eggs, bacon and fresh greens. I couldn't finish it. My brother ordered the Mandarian Asian salad and he loved it. We also ordered a pizza, but I was so full I was unable to eat any. My brother said the basil artichoke pizza was very good.

I wish we could have stayed longer to enjoy the premises. The landscape is beautiful. There was a natural waterfall which is part of the Susquahana River. Also they have an indoor pool and jaquzzi. Since we only stayed one night, there just wasn't enough time.

Both Dennis and John at the front desk were excellent. Very professional and helpful.

I could hardly wait to come back.

Room Tip: Don't stay out too late at the casino, if you need a shuttle as service ends at 11PM weekdays a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete your online review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your comments regarding Dennis and John will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

BROOKLYN NY
Reviewed 28 May 2013

If you have to travel to Wilkes Barre PA for a graduation, or for any other reason for that matter, I would highly recommend staying at the Woodlands Inn.
Wilkes Barre, PA is not on the top of my list of places to visit, but I needed to travel there for my nephew's graduation from Scranton U. Boy was I pleasantly surprised!
Being a big city girl (New York) I could not imagine what I would find in Wilkes-Barre. I booked the Woodlands Inn months before the weekend of the graduation to assure availability. Good thing I did since that weekend was Memorial Weekend. Weeks before traveling I checked again and there was not a room to be had. Probably a combination of the holiday weekend and graduations.I checked the hotel on line, it was in close proximity to the Mohegan Sun Arena where the graduation was taking place (6 mins away!! perfect) and it looked lovely but you never know by a picture. Upon arrival I was greeted with a smile by a very nice staff. I had quite a distance to walk to my room but it was clean and well equipped with the essentials. It had a little terrace overlooking a spring which was a nice touch. The bed was perfect (especially for my husband who always complains of mattresses being too soft) It was a king bed and we slept soundly that evening. There are 2 lovely restaurants on the premises. A buffet breakfast was served in their restaurant that overlooked the spring. It had large windows that gave a very outdoorsy feeling, so if you were stuck eating in (as we were since it was chilly) it was still sunny and lovely. There also is outdoor seating. The seating arrangements were so convenient for everyone. There was different variations of seating (table and chairs, high stools and tables, bar and stools) and the breakfast was delicious for only $12.00 all you can eat. The hotel has an indoor pool, out door pool and workout room to name just a few of their facilities (read the list on line). Down the road there is the Mohegan Sun Casino (not to be confused with the Arena which is the opposite direction) Again, the Casino is in very close proximity to the hotel as well. Great place to eat and play!!! As I said before, I would highly recommend the Woodlands Inn in Wilkes-Barre PA. and just remember to thank me when you do!!

Room Tip: If you are not a walker, ask for a room close to what is convenient for you (parking lot, restaurant...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to fill out your online review.

"Surprisingly wonderful" is a lot better than "Surprisingly disappointed". I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed each and every aspect of your stay.

I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you shared your experience.

Binghamton, New York
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Woodlands is one of a kind!! You will not find a Hotel like "the Woods". My wife and I drive about an hour and a half at least every other month (for over the past 10 years). We like the live entertainment, the food at both restaurants, the huge hot tub and great pools (one indoor and one out side). All the staff are great! Also, the other weekend we finally met Mark (adding finishing touches to the new outside bar) -- nice man! We had the rock shrimp at Shogun’s and also tried the lump crab at Crescenzo’s, both recommended by Mark and both were great! Thanks Mark!! Woodlands is our weekend destination!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2013

My father will be thrilled to hear about how helpful he was in making your stay so positive.

Ascend Collection hotels are one-of-a-kind hotels defined by a strong local identity, with upscale amenities and attentive service.

We hope to see you again soon!