“Quiet Winter Wonderland!”

The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed for my birthday in the suite with the 2 person jacuzzi. The room was huge and very clean. The jacuzzi tub is so comfortable and might I add my boyfriend is 6'8 & sat comfortably in it. The restaurant shogun was VERY GOOD. The bar in there was a decent price. Mall and casino in the area. Overall this place was AMAZING! Be back in March.

• Stayed: February 2014
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Happy belated birthday, so glad you enjoyed the Jacuzzi Suite. Did you enjoy the spa during your visit? if not, maybe in March you can schedule a few spa treatments to make your stay even better. If you like pizza you can try our other restaurant Crescenzo's Brick Oven.

Thank you again for the positive comments, see you in March.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

This hotel has great service, fantastic pool and jacuzzi, and good rooms. We had a terrible experience at another place and left. Upon arrival the receptionist was very hospitable and helpful. The giant jacuzzi and pool were fun and relaxing. Thanks for making our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear PB,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we very much appreciate the positive comments. We pride ourselves on our commitment to total guest satisfaction.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

My wife and I stayed there over the weekend for my anniversary/Wife birthday, I had the best time in this resort, can not even express How happy I was with their service. I could not believe the whole staff was very helpful, went beyond every time I need their help. I especially wanted to say thank you to Mrs. Melinda, Who really helped to make our day memorable. I requested Melinda to transfer me to different room since I wanted to give my wife surprise, She upgraded me to Junior Suite without charging me extra and also offered me her help to decorate the room. They had two restaurant in Resort, both offered great service and Food I wish every hotel I go to, I could get the same treatment. I travel a lot and based on my experience, It is all come down to Service each Hotel provide and How satisfied you are with their service. you could be staying the best hotel in the world if they don't satisfy you with their service or go beyond to meet your need. you would never be satisfied, In this case, I was really satisfied and I will definitely recommend this resort to everyone. I will be going there in Summer agai

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice and clean, you can not go wrong choosing any of the room in resort.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sm0619

Thank you for the wonderful review. The staff and especially Melinda thank you for your kind words regarding our customer service. As you know, great customer service is what differentiates any/all companies from their competitors. We are happy to provide great experiences.

Thank you again for writing and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and I went to spend a quiet night in Wilkes Barre after watching a local hockey team play. We had an excellent meal at the Inn's main restaurant Shogun, service was great and the food was delicious. Went to the hockey game and returned hoping to spend a quiet night, everything was fine until the on site club closed, at that point we found that we were the only room on the entire wing that was not occupied by a group of college students. After the club closed the entire wing was used as a party site, rooms halls, everything. We're normally pretty laid back but the noise went on until 5:30AM. This was right next to he front desk so they were aware of what was going on but made no effort to control the racket. We should never have been given that room on that floor. They did say that they were sorry but didn't sound like they meant it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BurrNMax2014
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Burr NMax 2014:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced when the guests went back to their rooms. I would welcome the opportunity to address your comments personally with you over the phone. Pleas feel free to call me at your earliest convenience. Your satisfaction and well-being are of most importance to us and we hope to rectify the situation as soon as possible.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

The Woodlands Resort is a wonderful place to stay. It is nestled in the woods along a beautiful creek. The service is spectacular! We stay at the Woodlands Resort so often that we know the front desk staff -- Melinda, Emily and Nicole. The Woodlands has the biggest jacuzzi I have ever been in. The food at the Shogun Japanese Restaurant is excellent, so is the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet. This last trip, we didn't even go over to the local Mohegan Sun Casino, which is only a mile or two down the road. The Woodlands has all you need to enjoy a wonderful time right at the resort. The rooms are spacious, clean and upgraded. I highly recommend this resort. Lori Ann Cook & Craig Lloyd

Room Tip: The tower is quiet and lower wings are lively. Very spacious rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Lori Ann:

Thank you for the great review. You can get a job with us as part of our sales staff, this review is a great billboard for the world to see.

We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to see that these team members went above and beyond to make your stay more comfortable. I'll be sure to share your feedback with them and their supervisors.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

nice resort, nice accomodations and service. Several restaurants and clubs in the hotel complex. I had my wedding here and it is the best for these events. Good location in the city if out of town guests drive or fly in.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Gary:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about your recent stay. Our banquet department does a really nice job with social events and weddings. Most out of town guests are pleasantly surprised by the quality and customer service they receive when attending a function at the Woodlands.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

This was a beautiful place, and I'd visit the restaurant and bars here again; however, for the price, our room was tiny and not well-kept. Overall, I'd probably not stay here again, but I would definitely visit the hotel's bars and restaurant again.

PROS:
Free parking and coin laundry. The rooms are all equipped with very clean and obviously new K-cup machines. The coffee in the room was surprisingly quite good. Location is great--right near the casino, downtown area, parks, skiing, convention center, shopping, etc. The staff was helpful and welcoming. Our housekeeper was nice and very flexible with our hours. I don't think the room issues were housekeeping ones. There were many specials available at the in-house eateries and bars. The happy hour was fantastic!!

The bars, restaurant and club in the hotel are gorgeous. The layout of each of these is beautiful and incorporates the woodsy area outdoors in its design. Truly beautiful, and worth visiting even if you're not staying at the hotel. Although expensive, the hotel's spa offers many services and is clean, beautiful and well-staffed.

CONS:
I feel our room was possibly unique in that it was so tiny, since it was a corner room and oddly shaped. Nonetheless, it was so small we had to literally step on our luggage to get to the bed. The bed was right next to the door, with the tiny bathroom wedged into the wall next to the bed and the TV mounted in front of the bed. There was no fridge or microwave, and the heating unit was terrible. It was either super hot or super cold, and the air blew hard directly onto the bed, so our skin was super dry during our stay. There was no space to put our stuff in the bathroom. We found stink bugs in the heating unit, and, two weeks later, I found another one in my luggage! I think this is because they hotel is older and it was stink bug season in the area, but it's unacceptable to find bugs in a hotel of this esteem.

The layout of the hotel is odd. There are multiple wings, with no signs to direct you. There was one elevator in our wing, which broke during our stay. There was one ice machine for the 6+ floors, and no signs to let us know where it was (it was an adventure to first find it). I don't like how you have to walk past the hotel rooms to get to the bar/restaurant area--it didn't feel safe, and made the halls noisy during peak club/bar hours.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurant/bar area, and also away from the lobby area (several rooms a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Owner
The Woodlands Inn, Wilkes-Barre, PA
570-824-9831

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilkes-Barre
Mohegan Sun Pocono
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Wilkes Barre
Hampton Inn Tunkhannock
Hampton Inn Tunkhannock
#1 of 4 in Tunkhannock

Been to The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!