“at least they apologized”
Review of Friendly's

Friendly's
Ranked #152 of 287 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 12 May 2014

It's been a while since we went here. Something happened bad last time, but we forgot what it was and gave it another try.

For my drink, I ordered a black decaf coffee. It wasn't what I'd call hot, but tolerable. By the time the waitress came back for our order, I had finished it and asked they had any carafes. She said they don't do that anymore, which usually means an empty cup for most of the meal. She was at least pretty good on keeping me replenished and the subsequent cups were hot. I ordered the Buffalo chicken sandwich and my wife, a turkey club. Another server brought out the sandwiches when done, but she gave my wife a turkey melt instead. So she took that back. Then I noticed what looked like a finger hole in my bun (adding pic). Maybe I was too sensitive, but I couldn't bring myself to eat it. When the club came out, I sent mine back. The manager came over with a replacement and apologized. At the end of the meal, the original waitress again said she was sorry, comped my sandwich, and offered free dessert or takeout ice cream. Not wanting dessert and not going home on a warm day, we declined both. Even though the situation was handled as well as can be expected, we probably won't be going back after two negative experiences in a row.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Felt like sitting in a greasy spoon and breakfast for the money paid. Needed to remind waitress to refill coffee.

Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

We walked in to Friendly's and had to wait a minute to be seated, although there was only one other couple seated, and only one waitress on a Sunday morning at 7:30.
We ordered decaf coffee but had to wait as she had non brewed. When the waitress served the coffee it was so weak it was like drinking hot water!
As we sat waiting for our breakfast, several customers came in and had to wait to be seated. The food was OK.
I am not a restaurantuer, but I know when something is wrong and when Friendly extra help is needed. I would not refer a friend here for Sunday morning breakfast!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We live about 45 miles from Wilkes-Barre. Every so often, we go there to shop. The Friendly's is one of our "go-to" restaurants. It's conveniently located by the mall and has ample parking.

The menu is limited - certainly, less extensive than Perkins. The food is good, but not a knock-out. Prices are about what you would expect for a coffee shop. In short, it's an okay restaurant.

The highlights: free balloons for the kids (my 6 year old daughter loves them) and the kid's menu includes drink and an ice cream dessert (also a hit with my daughter) with the meal.

On our most recent trip, we were seated promptly; the staff was very friendly and our waitress was very personable. The food was good - my wife very much liked her Asian salad, my sandwich was fine, and my daughter liked her lunch.

We did notice that the restaurant had a musty smell, something we had not noticed on prior visits. While the restaurant was clean, it is aging and could stand a little fresh paint outside.

Friendly's is what you would expect from a coffee shop - good food at a reasonable price. That's enough for us to return every once in a while.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Long wait for food, high prices, and a shrinking menu. More like a lunch than anything, almost 6$ for a shake, sandwich is 8$