“Put your earplugs in!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

I stop in the Anthracite once a month on a Friday. They have an awesome Happy Hour with great specials. Their regular menu is unbeatable. The only drawback is that children are occasionally children in the bar area. This can be uncomfortable for some adults wanting to have some adult fun.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Happeened upon this place by accident and what a great surprise. fantastic burgers! they also have a large selection of other items and specialty nights.

1  Thank nathons
Reviewed 23 April 2013

It's not the fanciest place but the food and service is top notch!

About a year ago (?) they did a renovation of the bar area which added more tables, and they finally got bar stools with backs, which makes for a much more enjoyable experience. I'm not a beer connoisseur but they have a huge amount to choose from.

The menu is extensive and reasonably priced. The portions are HUGE. Try the Garbage Burger - it's messy but delicious. The various dinners we've tried are always tasty, especially the Country Fried Steak.

Don't judge a book by its cover - the place is much nicer inside than out and the food is some of the best in the valley!

2  Thank lt10
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We visited the Anthracite Cafe after hearing several recommendations. While I do not consider myself overly critical and take into account many factors, I do know good from bad.
First impressions are everything and after tripping over gravel and viewing the lovely dumpsters and old tractor trailer in the parking lot, I lowered my expectations immediately.
We did make reservations and upon arriving had to wait at the hostess stand for about 5 minutes before we were even acknowledged. The decor of this simple square wide open room was basic at best. I wanted to try some of the craft brews I've heard so much about at this place and viewed the current selection on a wrinkled, plastic covered sheet. If you want customers to try your new seasonal craft brew selection, shouldn't you include some explanation of each beer and not just the name? I am not a beer expert and had no idea what kind of beers I was looking at on the beer menu. Our waitress was professional and polite but may have had a hearing problem. Whatever I ordered, I had to either repeat myself or actually point out to her on the menu what I wanted.
I ordered the B & B Chicken strips which included celery and bleu cheese. The chicken strips arrived in a paper boat but no bleu cheese and celery. When I pointed this out to the waitress, she did arrive shortly afterwards with a glass plate holding 4 short, fat, wet pieces of celery and a 2 oz portion cup of average bleu cheese. The chicken was good but the buffalo sauce was out of a bottle. A side salad was included with my entree and was of nice size, but came with another 2 oz portion cup of dressing, which I hate, and had very large, mushy tomatoes.
My entree was the Peasant Pasta which was plentiful and tasty, I have to admit. Having to flag down our waitress for a 2nd beer did not enhance the overall experience though.
We were told this place featured a new style menu and craft beer selection. The beer selection was OK, but again gave no description so unless you're a beer expert, you were on your own. The menu featured what I would call comfort or fat-food and was nothing special. If you're looking to pig out, this is the place but certainly nothing it was hyped up to be.
A suggestion for ownership.....spend a couple of bucks on the bathrooms too. There's something about a wide open bathroom which when the door is open allows full view from the bar patrons and a slide latch on the door that just isn't too appealing.....I hope the kitchen receives more attention and care.
Probably a good place for the local overweight regulars, but nothing special! Give it a try, but for me.....One and Done!

2  Thank bob o
Reviewed 22 March 2013

My friends and I usually hit up the Anthracite on Thursday wing nite, but haven't lately just because of the sheer crowd size and volume. This place is decent, but has definitely overgrown the building they're in. Expect to be jam-packed in like a sardine, and expect a bunch of frat boys yelling at some sporting event on the TVs above the bar.
That being said, the food is good. Lots of great wing flavors, some unusual and not-so-great ones (stay away from the PB&J wings!) Fair portions and fair prices. Service can be a bit slow due to the amount of people jammed into the place, but has never been rude or anything. They've always been pleasant.
It's a decent hangout, and a lot of the college crowd seems to love it, but I always leave with a splitting headache. I wish I could get those wings in a quieter setting!