“Expected More”

Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
New York City, New York
“Expected More”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I travel a lot, U.S. and over seas, Asia , Europe , been in many hotels. For a Medium Size hotel chain so they say almost 700 locations. I expected a little more. The only reason I stayed at the hotel, is because it was pet friendly.
The halls smell from smoke and cigarettes ,and I stayed on a no smoking room. I asked for ice , no ice in the whole hotel, nothing. I was told you can make the ice in your room. Fine, if the ice maker had a start, but no ice and you know how long it takes to make ice .
The rooms where clean and the staff was nice., but just expected more for 200.00 for a two room suite.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
John D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilkes-Barre - Hwy. 315, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
I recently received a copy of your review for our hotel. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

As this hotel’s manager, I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling. Your review has caused us to take a serious look at the systems we have in place to handle our day to day operations and we will be making modifications as appropriate.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Edwardsville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 8 March 2013

This is suc a terrific hotel! The staff is awesome........Emma, Mark, Bonnie, Kaitlyn, Dave, Brian, Tracy and Dawn make you feel welcome and part of the family. The rooms are beautiful and the service is amazing!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room isa jewel!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
John D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilkes-Barre - Hwy. 315, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Thank you very much for the glowing review of our hotel. My staff and I sincerely appreciate the remarks you have made. It has been our pleasure to provide for you and we look forward to providing the same level of service in the future, for you and for all our guests.
PA
Reviewed 18 February 2013

As a traveling nurse, I've stayed at a lot of different hotels and apartments. But while staying at the Extended Stay in Wilkes-Barre PA, I had a wonderful experience. The staff was always more than accommodating and they were always willing to help with whatever I needed. I stayed there for 2 months and the whole experience was very comfortable. It was very easy to get clean linens and I never has any issues with noise or disturbances from the rooms around me. It was also nice that they had a kitchenette, pots, pans, dishes, and utensils for me the use. The DVD player was another great addition. It was a great place to call my home away from home!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for the very kind and generous review. The staff and management of this hotel was so happy to have you as our guest. It was truly our pleasure. Sometimes, the hardest thing about this business is to see our guests say goodbye.
South Bend
Reviewed 20 January 2013

You're always on guard when staying anywhere out of town - there are plenty of horror stories out there about hotels. This was not one of them. At the end of a 10 hour driving day, it was a pleasure to end up here for the night. Bonnie, the front desk clerk, was very pleasant & unlike some places, didn't seem like you were bothering her to check in.

The room I had was a single queen room, and was the perfect for me, since I was travelling alone. It might have been a little tight sleeping for more than onc, since the bed was in a corner up against the wall, but like I said.. for me, it was perfect. The bed was comfortable (again, for me, but being such an individual preference, you'd have to make your own decision), and had plenty of pillows. It was nice to have the big tv & dvd player in the room, as it made relaxing easy. I didn't have a need for the kitchenette on this trip, but everything was there & ready to go if you do. Bathroom was clean, with plenty of CLEAN towels (again, the horror stories lol)

The only minor things I had were it appeared the housekeepers hadn't dusted a few things in there for a while, (little things like the bedside table & accessories) and the wall mounted thermostat didn't work. Neither of which would really detract from this place in general. Being humans, things get overlooked occasionally, and since the controls worked on the AC unit itself, I was still nice & comfy.( A side note - the AC unit was actually pretty quiet, unlike some you can't hear yourself think over..always a plus) I would have mentioned it when I checked out, but at 4:30 am, my head was still in bed. Also on that note, the girl that was working the front desk when I checked out (earliness kept me from getting her name also) was equally as pleasant & helpful as Bonnie was earlier.

The location of this hotel was within a couple minutes of just about anything you needed. I would have no problem staying here again. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: As it was mentioned by others, even # rooms are on the highway side, but honestly I really didn'...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Tom C, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilkes-Barre - Hwy. 315, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
My staff and I would like to thank you for the kind comments you have made about our hotel and our staff. It is important to all of us, that each guest feels that they are in a genuinely caring and friendly atmosphere and that each room meets and exceeds your needs.
Someone, like yourself, who has spent too many hours on the road, should be able to settle in to a hotel that is comfortable, with people who are welcoming and helpful. Any less and we fail at our jobs.

So, again, we thank you and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Once you find this hotel you'll be glad you did! It's tucked away on a hill but close to all the shopping as well as one mile from the casino and close to the arena as well. Rooms are well equipped and I have had two separate stays here of about 4 months each. I cannot say enough about the staff and how friendly and helpful they are! Tom, Bonnie, Kaitlin, Mark, are wonderful and Tracey and Dawn in housekeeping made sure we had everything we needed. Others were wonderful too but I didn't catch all their names. The bottom line is this hotel has everything you need for a comfortable stay. Lots of parking and a coffee/muffin bar for breakfast. Laundry and exercise room on site. If I had a negative it would be laundry area could be bigger but it's adequate. I will definitely be back when I'm in the area again.

• Stayed December 2012

We all look forward to seeing you and yours back with us again.
Dillsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times and have never had a bad stay. The staff is always warm and welcoming. It's nice to be greeted with a smile even if you're only walking through the lobby. Among all the usual amenities, nice sized rooms, clean bathrooms, complete kitchenette, I really like the AC/heating system. It's controlled by a thermostat on the wall, allowing you to set the temp where you like it. When you've stayed in a room heated by a roaring over-sized hair drier that only has low and high settings you appreciate this.

It's also nice in the spring/fall that they actually have windows that open!

Tom and his crew do a wonderful job at making your stay a pleasant one!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel face away from the interstate.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Tom C, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilkes-Barre - Hwy. 315, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
First, let me thank you for the glowing review you have posted and, also, let me thank you for being a loyal guest. Providing for each and every guest is essential if we are to provide a worry-free, productive and pleasant stay. And, if we expect our guests to return. We are so glad that we are able to provide this for you and will continue to strive to do so in the future.
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed 10 December 2012

What can I say that hasn't already been said? If you are up in the Wilkes-Barre area for a while and looking for a great place to stay, choose here! The people who work here are AWESOME!!!! Helpful, caring and quick to answer any question or give you clean towels, dish detergent or coffee packets with a smile! (and they're not creepy and spying like some long-term stay hotels I've stayed at)

The hotel is clean and easily accessible to shopping and the highway. The continental breakfast with coffee in the morning is a nice perk along with an assortment of DVD movies you can borrow available at the front desk (which I have taken advantage of quite frequently). Flat screen TV and DVD players in the rooms! It has made our stay here feel like "a home away from home."

Don't worry if you are looking for a place to stay with a pool, because the hotel next door has a pool you can use for a day rate!! And there is a trail you can hike located off the parking lot along with a barbeque area with a gazebo/picnic furniture and an area to walk your pet AND your pets can stay here too!!! I could not be happier with choosing to stay here. :)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Tom C, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilkes-Barre - Hwy. 315, responded to this review, 21 December 2012
From the staff and management of the Extendedstay Deluxe Hotel, Thank You for the glowing review you have posted. Every day we strive to provide the best service and a comfortable atmosphere so our guests feel they are among friends. It is very satisfying to here that we have provided just that, and yes we love our pets. They too are an important part of the family and we enjoy having them stay with us.