“Did we stay at the same place as all these great reviews?”

Host Inn All Suites Hotel
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
MA
“Did we stay at the same place as all these great reviews?”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Columbus had an easier time finding the New World than we had finding the Host. The GPS kept saying we'd arrived, but we could neither see it nor find it. We gave up and called the place. Turns out there are three hotels and a restaurant--Quality Inn, Fairfield Inn, the Host, and a TGIF--sharing this same lot (at quite a busy intersection). The Host itself is not visible from the street and its rather measly sign (underneath a BIG Quality Inn sign) doesn't help matters. But, yay, we made it to our non-smoking suite--and it smelled. Mostly in the kitchen and doorway area, but it was unmistakably stale-smelling. We opened all the windows and went out, but upon pur return there was no improivement. It hit you sooon as you walked in. It wasn't a gross smell or a smoking smell, it was just a lingering staleness in the air, like the inside of an old closet full of winter coats awaiting the dry cleaners. Speaking of that, the cleaning effort was poerfunctory. Yes, it was vacuumed and clean. but there was dirt between the kitchen tiles, and the rugs could stand a steaming or shampooing. The walls has stains, the living room furniture was worn and--like the carpet and kitchen--clean but not clean. You wanted your mother, figuravtively speaking, to show up with a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush. There was no floor molding, so the carpets met the walls in a haphazard way, lending a Travids Bickle quality to the surroundings. The bed itself was more than satisfactory, and the night's sleep was excellent once you got over the "Eyeww!":factor. And the bathroom towels are a pastel shade of green--sorry, we like our towels white and chlorine-bleached, thank you. The service was friendly and professional, but no, we won't be be going back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Harrisonburg
Reviewed 7 May 2010

I cannot say enough of how much we enjoyed and appreciated this suites hotel as we stopped on our way home to VA from Boston. Beds were comfortable, rooms were clean, the extra living, eating, kitchen room was so nice. Equipped with dishes and even a dishwasher! Breakfast was fine. The staff was helpful and friendly. The whole atmosphere was like a beautiful country house. We hope to go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gerberjl
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Reserved a jacuzzi suite for my husband, three children, and myself and was told there would be a pull out couch for my 2 sons to sleep in and a rollaway crib for my daughter. Checked in and lugged my 3 children and our baggage to the room. Walked in the room to find a full kitchen, king size bed, tv, and a jacuzzi crammed into a very small room, no pull out couch. My husband and I walked down to the front desk asked about the pull out couch. The girl asks me if I'm sure there is not a couch. Then she calls the manager and he tells her he can bring up 1 twin size rollaway bed. First off 2 boys are not going to fit on a rollaway bed and there was no way a rollaway bed and rollaway crib would fit in that small room. They didn't have another room available so my husband and I had to load up out children and luggage and search for another hotel. They did not apologize and as we were walking out the manager says to the desk clerk oh I guess they don't want to stay with us. For $150 plus tax a night I am not going to have my children crammed into a tiny room and sleep on a twin size cot together. I would think that they should know how many people a room can sleep. The manager was extremely rude and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. All rooms are not suites as they claim.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank mommyof2boys1girl
NJ
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We just stayed here last night. First, I agree with EMBguy that the on-line reservation system doesn’t work, and I had to book it with expedia (same price). It’s a new facility, on the same site as an older Quality Inn, TGI Fridays and Fairfield Suites. It’s located on a main business street in Wilkes Barre, with many chain restaurants and a shopping mall within a few minutes drive. Our suite was clean and a good size, with a great view of the valley and mountains beyond. The bathroom had a shower only, no tub, but the water pressure was incredible. The staff were all friendly. The breakfast was more than the usual continental buffet, with waffles and microwavable Jimmy Dean bacon biscuits. It has a very nice exercise room and a good sized indoor pool and hot tub, which was the main reason we booked this place. The problem is that the pool area was totally overrun with unsupervised unruly kids (apparently staying at the Quality Inn next door), who were loud, and behaving badly and unsafely. We did notify the front desk, who promised to call a manager over to take care of it, but we never went back, and this did negatively impact our stay. I guess this isn't their fault, but be warned they apparently do share facilities with the run down (and larger) adjacent Quality Inn. If this hadn't happened, I would probably have rated this place as the best hotel in the Wilkes Barre/White Haven area.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank NJtravel099
, Manager at Host Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Thank you for your response. I'm glad to hear your stay was enjoyable. We hope to see you return.
El Paso, TX
Reviewed 21 October 2009

We stayed at the Host Inn for 10 days and it was perfect for us. There was a small kitchen, complete with fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher, garbage disposal, pots and pans, dishes, utensils and glassware. The bedroom is completely separate from the living room section so it is really like an apartment. Our friends and family could visit and not have to sit on a motel bed. We really enjoyed our stay and the staff was unfailingly helpful. I would recommend this very highly.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElPasoPat
, Manager at Host Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Thanks for your response. We glad to hear the space was accommodating. We hope to see you return.
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I booked this hotel after seeing its ad in a hotel coupon magazine. I received a rate of $74.00 plus taxes (became $83.00). I traveled with my wife and three children. The suite had a bedroom with 2 double beds and a livingroom with a sleeper sofa. Each room had a separate TV. My kids loved the pool, and my wife enjoyed the hot tub. Breakfast consisted of waffles, Jimmy Dean microwaveable breakfast sandwiches, and Sara Lee danish, with coffee and orange juice. I had never stayed at such a high altitude before, and I loved the view down the backside of a mountain (despite the many businesses). I would recommend this hotel in an instant.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
, Manager at Host Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Thank you for your response. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you return.
New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Because I travel with my small dog, I am careful to inquire about the cleanliness of pet-friendly lodging. I was assured my room would be as clean as a non-pet room. Based on this information and the high ratings at Trip Advisor, I booked a room. The location is less than desirable, behind a Marriott undergoing renovations and near a TGI Fridays. The suites are large and well furnished, but my quarters were very dirty. Upholstered living room furniture stained, stains on mattress and box spring, rugs did not appear to have been vacuumed since last guest and certainly had not been shampooed in a very long time. I was unable to find other lodging nearby that would accept pets and so had no choice this trip, but will not stay at this facility again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Auntie1949
, Manager at Host Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Thank you for staying with us & providing feedback on how we can enhance our services. We strive for excellence & do not want to fall short of our guest expectations. If you have any additional comments or suggestions as to how we can make your next visit more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to let us know.

I personally apologize for any issues that occurred.

Again, Thank you for your comments. We look forward to serving you.