“Very Nice”

F. M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I have just recently started going to this theatre even though I have lived close to it all of my life. Now that I have found this gem, I feel like I will continue to visit it as frequently as possible. I have seen several concerts and other shows here over the last few months. There isn't a bad seat in the house. The sound was excellent. The stage was nicely located. The ushers are wonderful. Security was on the ball. The prices of some of the concessions was a little pricey, but that is to be expected for this type of venue. I would like to see some other types of shows come to this facilty. There is not always preformers that I would be interested in seeing at this site. Overall, it is a nice place. Parking can sometiems be an issue, but it is in the middle of the city. There are parking garages local, but some of them can be a little shady.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Drove up here from Philly to see Trombone Shorty and Orleans Ave. Beautiful old theater, wonderfully restored. Sound and acoustics where excellent. Comfortable seats. A big tall guy came in and sat down in front of me, he sunk so much in the cushy chair that I had no trouble seeing over his head. Had nice conversations with ushers, Dorothy in particular, who told me all the ushers are volunteers and the place used to be a movie theater in the '30s'. She used to go on dates in the place and "smooch" in the back. Loved her and the place. Great venue to see a show.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Decent venue for entertainment. Sound system needs either better operators or work on the system itself. Seating comfortable, with no pillars to block view. Finding a parking spot not always easy - no adjacent lots.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I travel to the Kirby Center often for different shows, and it is a beautiful and very comfortable venue. It's so nice to watch shows in a setting like this rather than a large arena.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Great great show. She was just amazing.
The usher women were wonderful. One of the ladies told me how when this was a movie theater it was her date place. I would guess she was 80.
The building is worth going to just to see. A lovely art deco building that was renovated in the 80s. The facilities were great, nice seating, good restroom access and at this show a very nice bar. My only complaint would be the attention to disruptive show goers. Miss Lauper had to settle the crowd because the security staff seemed hesitant to haul such folks out of the venue.
Again, the women volunteers were so nice and the show and building hit the spot. Thanks for a mostly nice time.