“Over night stay”
Review of Mohegan Sun Pocono

Mohegan Sun Pocono
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My husband and I stayed over night after a Christmas Party at a casino restaurant. It was nice to be able to enjoy ourselves and know that we just had a short walk in doors to the room. We got a great rate $99. Room was nice with a king bed. Very big closet and nice bathroom. Shower is large and walk in with totally see through glass door :( The bathroom door also has a beveled glass door. Someone outside of bathroom can clearly see that there is a naked person in the shower. Was not a fan of the bathroom situation. There was not an I pad in our room as stated online.

2  Thank familyof5mttop
MoheganSun_PA, Manager at Mohegan Sun Pocono, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your specific feedback. Since your stay, the rooms have all been appointed with iPads - we apologize that yours had not been installed at the time of your visit. We also appreciate your feedback on the bathroom and wanted to let you know that we hear and understand this concern from our guests and are currently looking into solutions that offer more privacy.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 25 December 2013

For being a new hotel that just opened the service and cleanliness leave something to be desired. The service is still working out the bugs with their system. No detailed invoice, and receipts written on a piece of paper signed by whomever is at guest services. The two elevators smell of either smoke and or alcohol, and one elevator already has a crack in the mirror. Both elevators have very noticeable scratches in them. The hallway and decor of the hotel is nice, but dark. The room is small and doesn't provide you very much room for more than 2 people with an overnight bag. The bed is very high up, and for a person who is 5"7 made it a challenge to get in and out. Also they only provide two pillows for a king size bed, requested additional pillows by calling room service. The phone that is in the room is difficult to use and I am a techy person. I think they should take out the advanced technology in the room and apply to the reservations. I received several emails before my actual stay of my reservation being cancelled, even though i received emails it wasn't. I called the night before to verify I still had a reservation. Good luck when you arrive and they want to bill your card a "incidentals" charge that ranges from $100-$250.00. The bathroom door is basically see through with a beveled glass. You can hear conversations in other rooms, in the hallway, and when the other doors close. The room cleanliness has noticeable dust on lamp shades, mirrors have streaks, dust and fingerprint smudges. We even have a spot on the linens that was questionable. They charge you an $8.95 resort fee, which for me was $7.95 providing you high speed internet, fitness center (that wasn't open yet), swimming pool access (that's wasn't open yet), in-room coffee with Cuisinart coffee maker, 2 bottles of water, local calls and toll free calls. If services aren't available due to construction then someone should update the website. Being told we might have them open by January 15 isn't very promising. Wasn't really sure if I could use the bottled water in the room, and also the water is under a shelf in the bathroom, not sure why they don't place it by the coffee pot. The vending machine costs of $3.00 are high for a small bottle of soda, considering you can get a free soda at the casino. The shower was nice, and warm, however I would prefer a bath tub to relax when I am getting away. Not sure I will come back to stay at this hotel, considering the high caliber of Mohegan Sun this was a disgrace to their name.

3  Thank jill7212
MoheganSun_PA, Manager at Mohegan Sun Pocono, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We are sorry to hear that your recent stay did not live up to the standards you have come to expect from Mohegan Sun. We welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail. Please feel free to give our Guest Relations team a call at 570.831.3673. Thank you.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Reservation and front desk check-in is extremely slow. The rooms are small but elegant and comfortable but not practical for sharing. Whoever came up with the frosted glass on the bathroom door was only thinking about the décor. You can see through the door giving absolutely no privacy. If you are sharing a room and the other parties enter the room while you are in the bathroom they can look right in. Mohegan, please put a dark shade on the door for privacy!!!! It also poses a problem when you are trying to sleep and the other party uses the bathroom...the light is bright and shines into the bedroom.

2  Thank Driteman
MoheganSun_PA, Public Relations Manager at Mohegan Sun Pocono, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and for your specific feedback regarding the bathroom door. We're currently looking into solutions that will make our guests more comfortable and appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip that we stayed at the new hotel at the casino. The hotel although still has areas under construction was nice. The rooms are very nice although the beds are very high. Which could be a problem for older folks. The rooms are not very sound friendly as u can hear everything going on in the halls. I'm sure we will go back and we look forward to seeing the pool and fitness center completed.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. We're thrilled that you were able to be among the first to stay in our new hotel and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Though I can see some issues people might find with the height of the bed or the glass shower doors, they are fine for me. The bed is one of the reasons I like the room and I’m short. It’s very comfy. The shower, if traveling with friends, the bathroom door might be an issue. Perhaps privacy decorative window treatments or something similar might work. The rooms are decorated beautifully! I appreciate the comp room. I enjoy staying at the hotel and the staff are wonderful. Minor, but things I look for/recommend: tissue holder was added to the room. Mini mouthwash bottles are a nice amenity (even though I bring my own) it’s still something that is a good idea to be on the tray in the bathroom. My last 2 stays, the rooms were much cleaner than my 1st night. (carpet and counters) I like the location of the closet and how spacious it is. Love the desk, the chair and ottoman. Not crazy about the in room dining, wish you could order from the places inside the casino. I don’t live far from the casino, but enjoy coming here for a quick relaxing getaway and me time in the casino. Will continue to do so whether the rooms are complimentary or not. Keep up the excellent work!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. We're thrilled that you've already joined us for a few overnight stays! We appreciate the kind words and look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed at the hotel December 13 - yes Friday the 13th. The room was comped so no fee was applicable just the usual credit card deposit for incidentals. The hotel is connected to the casino which is nice. Far enough away to be in your own world but just a short walk to the casino floor. Valet parking is available otherwise you park in the elevated open parking lot which can be a nice walk or you can use the parking lot shuttle. There is no covered parking garage and of course no fee to self park.

The lobby has three separate check in desks which I suppose can cause issues if it is busy at check in. The hotel has been open about one month (there are growing pains with staff still learning the systems). We arrived about 310 P.M. check in starts at 4 P.M. and we were told the room was not ready yet - a co worker intervened and they were able to check us in. This was nice after our two hour drive - yeah. The hotel is not totally completed with respect to the other offerings. The hotel is modern, well appointed and was relaxing.

The two elevators are small, looks like they're too small for the luggage carts and they already are damaged. They need wiped down as they were dirty. Nit picking - I know but just my OCD issues. :-)

The room was a nice size, not too huge not too small just right. All the finishes were beautiful, I would expect nothing less in a place that is essentially brand new. The room design was different which I liked. As you walk into the room there is a nook with a shelf to place small items. Then there is a angled closet on the right and the bathroom to the left. The hangers in the closet don't really fit the rod but they do work. The bathroom has a large beveled semi frosted glass window pane in the door - this could be a privacy issue but wasn't our issue.

There is no in room refrigerator, but there is an in room safe, a mini IPad and coffee machine. There are also two bottles of water provided, (8.95 fee for non-comped rooms) although they, along with the ice bucket and two drinking glasses were placed under that bathroom sink - a bit odd. I believe the previously mentioned fee includes wifi access,telephone use with 30 minutes of long distance. The wifi signal was strong and fast.

There is a flat screen TV - maybe 40" with the usual hotel offerings - a beautiful picture with a variety of channels. They had a room service menu but we did not use that option this trip.

The bed was as comfortable as it looks. The bed sits high which could be an issue for some people - not us we loved it. Our room had a view of the mountains the other side of the building would have a view of the parking lot. I have to admit, we did not stay for the view.

The bathroom is well appointed with bed bath and beyond toiletries, it has a nice size walk-in shower, the toilet is very quiet when flushed - a nice addition as I have been woken up in other hotels when the toilet in the adjoining room was flushed. The shower door did have a minor leak which was absorbed by the floor mat. The bathroom also has a motion sensing light and a receptacle with a built in night light.

There are no do not disturb/maid service signs - rather an electronic button which can be selected to display a light outside your room. Very modern. Also, the room key is placed in front of the door sensor, no inserting the card into a slot.

Everyone at the hotel was extremely friendly. The lobby was nicely decorated for the holiday.
The casino has various dining options.

We ate at Chris Ruth's steak house and had a relaxing meal with live jazz music - a great evening.

The casino is very well laid out and has the normal gaming options. We had an enjoyable time.
We will return and would recommend you give it a try.

1  Thank fet297

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review - and such a thorough one! We're very happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can welcome you back for a future stay soon.
Happy New Year!

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel Thanksgiving night. The room was comped so no fee was applicable but I did have to put down $100 deposit for incidentals. This hotel is accessible through a long walk away from the casino itself. The hotel also has valet parking which brings you to the lobby/convention center area.

The lobby is not a traditional hotel style lobby. It's very small with three separate check in desks. The very tiny business center was not yet ready for use neither was the spa or the pool or fitness area or any other the amenities advertised on the website. The hotel is designed in a modern style with natural and organic accents including mosaic glass tile and weathered barn wood as decor.

The room was quite beautiful although perhaps not designed very well. As you walk into the room there was a closet immediately in front of you and the bathroom to the left in my room. The bathroom has a large beveled semi frosted glass window pane in the door. Now if you're staying with your significant other this may not be an issue however if you're staying with friends or other family members this can pose quite a problem as you can see everything going on inside the bathroom. Well aesthetically attractive, perhaps not the best design for a hotel room. In the room itself is very nice and very modern with earth tones used for the decor. There was no iPad or Keurig machine as was advertised on the website, however through the television there was a password for an application which you could use Via your phone or your smart tablet to utilize the television in the room.

That television was modern the picture was very nice, it had a control center where you could learn about gaming and learn about promotions going on inside the casino. You can also use some other functions of the TV such as background movies/screen savers. When you turn the TV on it also personalizes your stay by using your name on the welcome screen which I thought was a very nice touch.

The room itself is average size it has a desk a coffee maker a chair with an ottoman and my room had two queen size beds. The beds and linens were very clean and comfortable however the beds are very high. I mean very high making it quite difficult for elderly people, children, or those of a smaller statue to get on the bed. It was difficult for me younger person of average height to get on the bed I can imagine it would be very difficult for anyone who has any kind of problems with their mobility. In fact as we were checking out and waiting for our car to come back from valet the valet attendant asked if we had difficulty getting on the beds. He told us the person who had just checked out right before us was an elderly woman who could not get on the bed and ended up sleeping in the chair in the room instead of on the bed. He also said that that was one of the biggest complaints they had received in the short time since the hotel was open. So if you are an elderly person or a person who may have difficulties getting on an extremely high bed I would recommend not staying at this hotel until the situation is remedied.

As for the bathroom, besides the glass door the bathroom has a walk-in shower which is very nice. However you cannot turn on the shower without being inside of the shower which makes adjustment of temperature quite difficult unless you're actually in the shower. Also you have to make sure you close the door completely, as I learn the hard way, otherwise it will leak. I thought when I entered the shower I pulled the door completely closed. It turns out I had not and the water from the shower leaked all over the floor. Fortunately it did not reach the carpet of the room or any of my clothing or my bag that was on the floor. It did however leave a big mess which I had to clean up.

Aside from these few issues I have to say everyone at the hotel was extremely nice and extremely courteous. They asked us several times if we need anything if we were enjoying our stay and if there is anything they could get for us. I was very pleasantly surprised at how friendly everyone at the hotel was. I would definitely probably stay at the hotel again however I don't know if I'd stay with family in the same room given the glass doors of the bathrooms. Lol.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
MoheganSun_PA, Manager at Mohegan Sun Pocono, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for being one of our very first hotel guests and also for taking the time to post a review! Regarding the bathroom doors, we're aware of guest concerns and we are investigating solutions to address these concerns to make our guests more comfortable. Thank you for your honesty!