“Room pretty - poor customer service”
Review of Mohegan Sun Pocono

Mohegan Sun Pocono
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
South Canaan, Pennsylvania
“Room pretty - poor customer service”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

The room was nice looking and clean. Like everyone else says the bed is unbelievably high - run and leap. I hated the soft pillow top bed but you may like it. This is what I hated - warning - you book a room and you may get a smoking room - apparently there is no guarantee. My room ended up next to the ice machine so all night you could hear the ice dropping and sometimes people talking. I said something when I checked out - I thought it had to be a machine defect or poor sound proofing - the girl didn't seem to care - I said I would be writing up this in my trip advisor review and her response was - "that is a good idea". I think I am changing my review to a 2 stars cause the one person on check in made a big to do that I was getting - free wifi, 2 free bottles of water and coffee in my room - but with my key was a paper that I was charged a 8.50 resort fee for the wifi, coffee and water.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank shay26m
MoheganSun_PA, Manager at Mohegan Sun Pocono, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We’re sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your recent experiences here and encourage you to give our Guest Relations team a call at 570.831.3673 to discuss this further. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Brand-new hotel it was beautiful and the style was very up to date. Rooms were very convenient and had all the amenities and comfortable beds and duvets. The only downside was is that there are only two elevators and one was broke

• Stayed March 2014
Hi moppiesue, thanks for taking the time to write a review following your stay - happy to hear that you enjoyed your room! Thanks again, hope to see you again soon!
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Our room was on the second floor, nice décor and clean. Room was small, no "fridge" or microwave. Found the beds were so high that my friend, who is elderly, had a very hard time getting in the bed. We had to pull the hassock over to the bed and I helped her get one leg up on it and flop on the bed. I myself had to jump onto the bed. Although they are comfortable, they are way to high....The bathroom door is horrible, as you can see through it, plus the fact the shower door is clear....The motion sensor light in the bathroom is very bright, and is really annoying. It goes on if you get anywhere near the door. My friend ended up sleeping in the chair, and when she moved her head, the light came on in the bathroom. As far as the casino, it is nicely laid out in a circle. We had dinner at Rustic Kitchen, and it was very good. The staff in both the hotel and casino were very pleasant. The shot machines are very tight, don't pay out like the other casinos I have been to. The smoke in the casino is terrible. The smoking and non-smoking areas are next to each other and not very good ventilation. As soon as you walk into the casino, you will choke with the smoke smell. We used valet at the hotel, was fine when we arrived, however, had to wait 1/2 hour to get our car. Checked with them and they couldn't find it in the system. They took info on the car and went out to look for it. Not a very good system. We have used valet at the casino, and they are very slow. We were looking forward to a nice breakfast, but the buffet is not open for breakfast. The only place we found to get something half decent was Johnny Rockets, We however, went to a little diner close by. Don't think we will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank momfin
Connecticut
Reviewed 14 March 2014

My wife and I spent two very pleasant nights here for our anniversary. The staff was absolutely great. Any interaction we had with any of them was met with a smile and a direct look into your eyes. In a world where the customer has somehow become an imposition we felt welcomed and appreciated by every employee we encountered.

The room was very clean and comfortable. As a matter of observation everything was very clean - the elevators, the hallways, the foyer... everything. We had a great view of the harness racing track and enjoyed watching the horses being worked each morning.

I can well imagine we will be returning.

Room Tip: We booked our room during the week to get the better rate and upgraded to a suite.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MoheganSun_PA, Manager at Mohegan Sun Pocono, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
We are happy to hear that you and your wife had a pleasant stay with us! Thank you for this great review. We hope to have you as our guest again soon!
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This review is purely on the hotel. I have been to Mohegan Sun hundreds of times but this was my first time seeing the hotel lobby/staying at the hotel. I live in the area but had a comped room so I figured I would stay and check it out.

I was first very impressed with the lobby, very modern and so close to everything (some hotel casinos have a far walk from rooms to casino floor but not here). The room was certainly small but everything was so beautifully decorated and very clean. The bathroom had beautiful granite and tile walk in shower- extremely spacious and great water pressure. The beds were incredibly comfortable, not too hard, not too soft. The pillows and bedding were so soft, I didn't want to get up in the morning! The closet was very large, as was the safe, which fit my entire purse inside it. It is Wilkes-Barre so I am not sure why people are complaining about their views, there are no views! Who cares! The only thing the room was missing was a mini fridge. If I had paid for this room, I would still be very satisfied. Don't listen to the complaints - you will enjoy your stay!

Did not use any amenities such as pool, room service etc, but judging on the impression I got I'm sure they are wonderful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Jaime M
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review! We are happy to hear that you had a positive experience during your recent stay. We look forward to having you as a guest in our hotel again soon!
Liberty, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2014

A brand new hotel and my wife and I found it to be very nice. The staff was beyond helpful and grateful. The casino was a decent size and a good number of games. The buffet was a disappointment, compared to other casino buffets we've been to.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MisterG2528
Jessup, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I'll start out by saying the staff was quick and friendly. The room/decor was ok. Didn't not like the weird motion sensor light in the bathroom. You are given 2 pillows, there are NO CHANNELS (ok, maybe 5, really???) on the TV, the iPad is pretty useless as you can get all of the info on it on the mobile app and it does NOTHING else, there is no minifridge. I've stayed at better econo hotels.

• Stayed March 2014