“Pocono Downs vs Mt. Airy”
Review of Mohegan Sun Pocono

Mohegan Sun Pocono
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We live 10 minutes from Mt. Airy and 50 minutes from Mohegan Sun. We alternate and have for months.Payouts seem to be about the same,but as stated by others Mt. Airy comps better. Head to head as follows:

Environment: Mt. Airys outside is beautiful,the parking lot less walking,but the shuttle busses service erratic at best.Mohegan busses are always working and looking out for you.
Interior of Mohegan is much better and you better bring an oxygen tank in Mt. Airy , the smoke is overbearing.

Food: The buffet in Mt. Airy is superior as is the service.The Italian restaurant at Mohegan is fabulous(Rustic kitchen). If you like old fashion greasy burgers and fries you cant top Johnny Rockets. Also Mohegan is tops with Ben and jerrys Ice Cream.Skip the hot dog hall of fame their dogs are horrible.

Mohegan Sun has much better cocktail service,you can die of thirst at Mt. airy.

8  Thank Dooedd714
in 14 reviews
"gambling"
in 103 reviews

Reviewed 15 February 2009

I have been to most of the casinos in Atlantic City, and Las Vegas, so to compare this place with, say, the Venitian, or the Wynn, would not be fair. I am not a big slot player, and that's all they have, except for video poker. They do have horse wagering, and we bet a few races, but the betting area was dead quiet, and not alot of fun. I enjoy hearing the race announcer, and there were no tables with little tv's at them where we could control what we watch and hear. No background music, just dead silence. I am looking forward to going back once they have live horse races going on again, I think in april.

There was plenty of parking for a busy saturday nite, and I hear there is FREE valet parking available, but didn't use it. We started with drinks at the center casino bar, which has a beautiful, color-changing, stained glass ceiling, and plenty of booths and tables around. My wine was HUGE for 5$. We played video poker at the bar, then went to the reason for our visit, Ruthie Chris's.

I have only visited one other pennsylvania casino, mt. airy. We were not very impressed with it. It was just not as pretty-to-look-at, and as styled as the mohegan. The mohegan, for example, had beautiful, REAL plants around the casino. Mt Airy has fake, silk plants, that looked like they installed them while under construction, they were already dusty, and, the place had only opened a few months ago.

There were other places to eat, and I would try them all, even the buffet. Well, maybe the buffet if it wasn't busy. The Italian place smelled great as we passed it, and the sushi bar looked immaculate. Very sterile, and clean. The steakhouse was fantastic, check out my review on Ruthie Chris's.

We picked up coffees for our ride home at the coffee bar, which had a great selection of MASSIVE cakes. I don't know if they were any good, but they looked very nice.

Overall, we were very impressed. I am looking forward to the new Las Vegas Sand's casino, opening in my hometown of Bethlehem, but have plans to visit the Mohegan soon, tonight, in fact. Hopefully, we will have a nice nite-after-valentines-day dinner at ruth's again. If you go, Good Luck, and Enjoy!

2  Thank matthewlapos
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We Travel to Alantic City to gamble I love it....
we live about 90 mins. from M.Sun and went with friends
for the days and had a great time........
the only thing is we wanted soooooo badly to eat at
ruth chris steak house but we are frugal famlies.
we wish you had a cheaper steak house.....
but to enjoy a week day afternoon we did at Mohegan Sun
I would do it again.
I will be married 26 yrs in june of 09 and planning on surprising
my hubby of a day away at the Mohegan Sun
Also it was a verrrrrry clean place
and the workers and bars were very enjoyable.

2  Thank cagle
Reviewed 13 December 2008

Most of the Mohegan Sun's eating places are way over priced., with the exception of Timers buffett.. We find Atlantic City Casinos offer much better selections and variety for lower prices...Some of the food concessions in the food court are nothing but big rip offs offering very little for the price...Unless the casino management modifies and corrects it's vendors and concessions you will ultimately loose valued casino patrons...

3  Thank adams401