“Wait a little bit before going back....”
Review of La Tolteca

La Tolteca
Ranked #12 of 284 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

My family and I were so excited to hear that La Tolteca was open again. We decided to go for lunch today. Not a good idea....

First, the place was packed. That's not a bad thing, even though it was a little wait, it is nice to see the Valley supporting local business. The new decor was nice, maybe a little too gaudy in places, but had a nice feel.

What stunk about the lunch was our waiter. He was obviously new, and spoke very limited English. In turn, he was also very hard to understand. I would expect a waiter to be able to communicate with me, just as I would strive to communicate with others if I was visiting a non English speaking locale. We watched as people were seated around us, served, and others seated when the table opened, and then they were served. We waited over one hour, after being seated, to get our food,after waiting 20 minutes to be seated We waited for drinks. We waited for appetizers. My wife waited 25 min for a margarita. We waited, and waited. We asked where our food was? Our waiter smiled and asked us if we wanted more drinks? No. We wanted our food. When it finally came, my family got theirs, but mine was missing. So, I waited some more....

It finally came, and it was wrong, but I ate it anyway, because I couldn't afford to wait any longer. When I finally stood up, my body felt older. It's because it was. I grew old waiting for a chimichanga. The only thing that was there longer than me, was appearantly my rice.. It was dry and tasteless. Kind of like me...l

Do yourself a favor, don't go right away. Let them work the "bugs" out of the system, and maybe our waiter's language skills will improve. Or, if you have a couple of hours to kill, go now.

1  Thank tpr73402016
There are newer reviews for La Tolteca

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Was probably a star better when it first opened, but the obvious shortcuts used to generate their generic Mexican dishes leave most items tasting the same. I am guessing the kitchen is filled with bins of precooked items that just get scooped out for whatever specific dish was ordered, because nothing is fresh or very tasty. Then the plate gets a scoop of canned beans, old rice and whatever canned sauce is required and then it is popped in the oven or microwave.

Let's be clear, I am not knocking the place for pretending to be Mexican (which it is not), frankly, I don't need my food to be labeled. What I do need is my food to be cooked to order and fresh. If you also value the importance of cooked to order, fresh food, then this place is probably not for you either.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

The food and the atmosphere is great, the servers are excellent. What's not to like? Walk in hungry and you'll walk out bursting at the seams with a smile on your face.

1  Thank danrodz
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This is a restuarant the wife and i have been to several times, and the consistantly good food and attentive service make it a pleasure to dine. I don"t know about authentic , all i can say it suits our taste. If you want anything else, go to Mexico! Try the margaritas, wife says they are great!

Reviewed 17 March 2013

The food here is exceptionally good! The waitstaff is attentive, and the delivery of your meal is impressive.