“Don't Change a Good Thing! ”
Review of La Tolteca

La Tolteca
Ranked #13 of 276 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Spanish
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Don't Change a Good Thing! ”
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

My fiance and I have come here a dozen times and were excited to come again since it recently had to be renovated. The inside is beautiful! We were very disappointed though that they made changes to the menu. We also asked for lettuce to go with our fajitas (used to come with it) and they charge us three dollars for it. The service was also poor. We had to ask for plates and the servers English made it difficult to communicate. Next time we are in the area we will be less excited to visit this restaurant which used to be a regular.

West Pittston, Pennsylvania
“Will definitely go back........”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Usually I am NOT a fan of Mexican. This was definitely the exception........ My husband loves Mexican but always seems to pick somewhere I would like to eat. It's a beautiful place. Very, very clean. The staff is so nice. We arrived during lunch but were immediately seated. Our appetizer was huge.. enough for both of us. Our entrees were huge!! I needed a box and my husband, who is a big eater... went home full. We split a dessert and were completely satisfied with everything. NO COMPLAINTS....... We will definitely be back!! An excellent restaurant...clean, very well staffed and great food !!! Thank you !!!!!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank babs067
Wilkes Barre
“Should have remained closed. ”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

My family and I ate at La Tolteca many times before the place closed because of a fire.
Well, they should have stayed closed. My visit today was not very pleasant at all. After waiting one hour and 15 minutes we never received what was ordered. Not only did our waitress argue with us but so did other members of the wait staff. All while being ignored by the manager after he asked what was wrong.
Avoid this place and save yourself a headache. We ended up driving to Dickson City to eat at La Tonelteca. Guess what? We actually received what we ordered.

2 Thank 789larrya
Pa.
“Great Food Outstanding service.”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

This place has been completely been remodeled. The service and food is just great. If you are going for lunch or dinner get there early because the place is usually packed.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Paddy D
Wyoming, Pennsylvania
“Wait a little bit before going back....”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

My family and I were so excited to hear that La Tolteca was open again. We decided to go for lunch today. Not a good idea....

First, the place was packed. That's not a bad thing, even though it was a little wait, it is nice to see the Valley supporting local business. The new decor was nice, maybe a little too gaudy in places, but had a nice feel.

What stunk about the lunch was our waiter. He was obviously new, and spoke very limited English. In turn, he was also very hard to understand. I would expect a waiter to be able to communicate with me, just as I would strive to communicate with others if I was visiting a non English speaking locale. We watched as people were seated around us, served, and others seated when the table opened, and then they were served. We waited over one hour, after being seated, to get our food,after waiting 20 minutes to be seated We waited for drinks. We waited for appetizers. My wife waited 25 min for a margarita. We waited, and waited. We asked where our food was? Our waiter smiled and asked us if we wanted more drinks? No. We wanted our food. When it finally came, my family got theirs, but mine was missing. So, I waited some more....

It finally came, and it was wrong, but I ate it anyway, because I couldn't afford to wait any longer. When I finally stood up, my body felt older. It's because it was. I grew old waiting for a chimichanga. The only thing that was there longer than me, was appearantly my rice.. It was dry and tasteless. Kind of like me...l

Do yourself a favor, don't go right away. Let them work the "bugs" out of the system, and maybe our waiter's language skills will improve. Or, if you have a couple of hours to kill, go now.

• Visited November 2013