“The #1 B&B in Wilkes-Barre by far!”
Review of Hillard House Inn

Hillard House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Wilkes-Barre B&B and Inns
warsaw, ny
“The #1 B&B in Wilkes-Barre by far!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband booked this B&B for our final day - Memorial Day - after spending the weekend with family. I had no idea that Cecilia and Gordon could make one night so spectacular!
The owners carried in our suitcases, gave us maps and tips of interest - including ideas on where to dine, and prepared a wonderful retreat for us. A beautifully decorated several roomed suite was romantic - I love the blue hues all over!
The next morning we were treated with delicious Eggs Benedict, fresh fruit and homemade, warm muffins. The food only complimented the great conversations from the other couples that were from all over the world - from Paris!
My only wish was that we were staying longer...but we WILL be back! Thanks for a very special stay!

Room Tip: This B&B is right on the Susquehenna River so the River walk was awesome - especially on dusk an...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HillardHouse, Owner at Hillard House Inn, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for the glowing review for your stay with us.We are so happy that you enjoyed your time at Hillard House and that you plan to come back.We appreciate that you took the time to write a review since they are so important to future guests.Thank you again and hope to see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Really bad booking engine on the web site. I couldn't complete the transaction with B&B gift card selection, yet when I called and made the reservation by voice mail and again by email it took 2 days to get a response. Despite having given my entire reservation over each method when I finally did get a response I was told it was available and I needed to hold my reservation with a credit card, but using the booking engine. It took me a few hours while I was at work to get back and make the credit card hold and meanwhile they let someone make a 2 night reservation for my room instead of honoring the one night I'd been working hard all week to get them to take for me. I understand a policy of requiring a credit card but all it took was a quick call back the first day to ask me for it, and the room should have been held from the minute I told them I wanted it and was going to pay with the gift card they promise to take on the B&B website. I don't even understand why they didn't respond quickly to a phone call. I called another B&B, I got a quick and courteous response, and I'm going there. Too bad, the reviews were otherwise good, I was looking forward to it. They need to fix the broken booking engine and turn around phone calls in under 24 hours.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Laura E
HillardHouse, Owner at Hillard House Inn, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
This reviewer has never stayed at Hillard House and to my knowledge has never been on the property .
She first contacted us on Jan.29 mid-afternoon by voicemail about a reservation for Feb.8.
By noon on Jan.30 she had our response that the suite she requested was not available(a response in less than 24 hours).
This obviously allowed her ample time to make other arrangements,which she did.
Our booking engine is a standard system which requires credit card information to make a reservation request.
TheBedandBreakfast.com gift card(which we have gladly accepted for several years) is not accepted by the booking engine but is accepted as payment at check in.
She and her family did not stay with us in Feb.2014.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My wife and I are B & B lovers and stay in them when ever we get the chance. If staying in Wilkes-Barre, definitely stay at the Hillard house. We spent 2 nights. Gordon and Cecilia are terrific hosts. The breakfasts were delicious. We stayed in the gold room which was very comfortable. The Empire style home is a gem and conveniently located to many area attractions.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I traveled to Wilkes-Barre to see Elvis Costello at the Kirby Center and were looking for a downtown B & B within walking distance of the venue and also of restaurants. Trip advisor led us to this wonderful gem and the owners Gordon and Cecilia. The house is just a few short blocks from city center (which regrettably, is not much to write home about) and is a grand old "they don't make 'em like that any more" kind of house. Our room was the Gold room and was very well appointed and tastefully furnished. My wife especially loved the chaise lounge chair! Breakfasts were well done-coffee was strong hot and plentiful, and the food was served on beautiful peacock plates.
We highly recommend this house, and hope that Wilkes-Barre downtown will continue its city center revitalization which is much needed.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We just arrived home from a week-end in Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania where we were seeing the Breeders Crown Horse races. We chose this B&B through trip advisor ratings and were not disappointed. Our host and hostess Gordon and Cecilia Williams were a great team, preparing fantastic and very filling breakfasts to start the day and then even greeting us with an umbrella on one rainy nights return to the inn!!! Cecilia then accommodated my crazy rushed wrapping of Christmas presents with boxes and scissors to fit all the presents !!! Above and beyond!!. The history and many antiques within make it a fascinating place to explore. The rooms are comfortable with all the amenities you need including WI-Fi for those who cannot be without computer. So we would highly recommend this B&B to anyone considering staying in the the northeastern area of Pennsylvania . Gordon and Cecilia , thank you so much!!! Paul and Vicki from Whitby ,Ontario .

Room Tip: all rooms great , my brother and his wife were on the third floor and there are stairs but this sp...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our second visit to Hillard House. The hospitality shown by Cecelia and Gordy is ideal.
They know how to make your stay special. We've stayed in two different rooms and the beds are comfortable, with plenty of comfy blanks to keep you warn on a cold night. There are small refrigerators for use in each room.
Breakfast is served in an attractive dinning room, on a beautifully set table. Coffee is hot and plentiful, or tea if you prefer. There is also juice and water. Breakfast has been a delightful three course meal, of fresh fruit and homemade fare.
Look around the house, too. It has a lot of original fixtures.
There is a front porch area with seating if you'd like to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee or have a glass of wine? The yards, front and back, are full of foliage to enjoy.
Can't wait to see the finished back porch area when completed.
Thank you Cecelia and Gordy again!

Room Tip: There is an elevator for luggage (not people, just for luggage). Have room air conditioners for s...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My fiance and I stayed at this lovely B&B over labor day weekend. Cecelia and Gordon were welcoming and warm hosts with lots of local knowledge. The house is beautiful and our room was spacious and clean. Fantastic breakfast! If you looking for a place to stay in the Wilkes-Barre area you can't go wrong at Hillard House.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple