“Surprisingly great”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Buffalo Valley, PA
“Surprisingly great”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

I was there on business and the biggest surprise was how fabulous the linens were...clean and crisp. In fact, the whole room was very clean. The air conditioner smelled fresh too. The breakfast buffet was quite good. I even liked the exercise room. All in all I am trying to figure out how to stay there again. Anyone know who is playing at the Wachovia center?

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Haley_girl11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
long island
Reviewed 16 July 2009

just fine--i don't know why anybody has complaints--good downtown location--free parking on premises--nice free breakfast, better than rolls and coffee

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
13353 Brewster Creek Rd
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We got to your hotel after turning down 2 others. The registration was great even though you had only 10 rooms left, you still let us use the travel coupons. The new receptionist made a mistake but the manager honored her mistake and made us feel welcome and we will stay with you again the next time we are on our way to New England. Thank you for being so kind. Great Stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
NH
Reviewed 12 May 2009

i was a litte leary about the downtown location, but the police station was across the street!
There was a mixup with a smoking room. Even th ough I think it was our fault we were given another room without question or hassell.I couldn't say enough good things about our stay. The cofy bed and clean room. The excellent food were all outdone by the friendly service and top notch staff. Every one we had contact with was GREAT! I don't know where they find there help but they should keep doing it! We woild go out of our way to stay here again!
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST HOTELS WE HAVE STAYED IN...WHEREVER THEY HIRE THEIR STAFF FROM...KEEP DOING IT. WE WOULD GO OUT OF OUR WAY TO STAY HERE AGAIN!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Belle River, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2009

We booked at this hotel because of it's reviews from this year. My question to them is ...are we talking about the same hotel?

We chose to stay here for three reasons. One, we're traveling with a pet and two...they also accepted smokers....... three....Tripadvisor previous guests...said it was a great place.

First time the TA writers let me down. The girl who checked us in was efficient, but not overly helpful or friendly. She made no mention of the fact that the parking lot was in the back of the hotel and that entrance to the hotel was a bit of a walk from the parking lot (especially if you are carrying several bags). This place was a major disappointment it's old and the hallways are narrow and poorly lit painted a shade of pink. The room is dark, feels crowded and is poorly lit, the floor lamp beside me is on a major tilt. The room features peeling wallpaper, and the chair I'm sitting on looks old and stained like it should only be found in a dump....They put a little "guest prayer" on the bed...which I think is a nice gesture but.....I wish they'd spent the money on better lighting and better furniture and cleaning up the ceilings and walls. Fortunately, the bedding is new and clean and no bed bugs...I hope. They have paper cups in the room packaged in plastic....but all the protective plastic on them had holes in it or was torn......The room is clean though, even the phone is clean (you don't often find that)

There are no restaurants close by and the one in the hotel is expensive so we are going to a place closer to the highway.

We're going to leave early from here, since it's not a comfortable environment.

I would only stay here again if I had to...but even then....

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Applebee19
Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 April 2009

My Family and I (4 adults) had to come from Colgate Wisconsin to Wilkes-Barre for a funeral of a very close family friend. Our friend died on Monday April 20 and the wake was set for Wednesday, April 22. On Monday night I called the Genetti Best Western directly and spoke with Charlene. I told her of our situation and that we would be coming in on Wednesday morning after having travelled all Tuesday night. I asked for two twin bed a joining rooms with twin beds. She said she could do that and offered the hotel's bereavement rate (which even beat my AARP rate).
We arrived mid morning as expected and I went to the check-in desk and met Derek. I told him that we had driven all night from Wisconsin and asked if there was anyway that we could get an early check-in to catch a few winks and get ready for the wake that started at 4pm. Derek took care of us and helped make a very difficult trip a little more tolerable.
I found the accommodations to be even better than my expectations. From the very firm mattress, to the number of towels in the room, to the quietness of the hallways and even to the LCD TV, I was very pleased.
I will not hestitate to stay at the Genetti Best Western the next time I come to Wilkes-Barre. I just hope it is for a more pleasant visit. Special thanks again to Charlene, Derek and all the staff.

• Stayed April 2009
Burlington, NJ
Reviewed 28 February 2009

My husband and I travel a LOT and stay in various hotels. When we stayed at this Best Western, besides the hotel itself being in tip top shape the room was unbelievable! Our room was extremely clean, which to us is most important. I can't brag enough about the beds! We had a better night sleep than we've had in our own bed! Our room came with a free continental breakfast in a very classy dining room, what a way to start the day. But best of all was the service we received, everyone was very polite and accommodating. I will stay at this hotel again next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Travellers also viewed these Wilkes-Barre hotels
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Wilkes Barre
#4 of 20 in Wilkes-Barre
Mohegan Sun Pocono
Mohegan Sun Pocono
#5 of 20 in Wilkes-Barre

Been to Best Western PLUS Genetti Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!