“nice basic hotel”

Best Western PLUS Genetti Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I came to the hotel because of a swim meet in which the pool was at the building behind the hotel. The location is nice but the neighborhood is seedy at night. Free parking in a downtown hotel is a plus. The beds were comfortable but queen sized beds would be better; the beds were small. The hotel is clean and kept up. One day the maids did not clean the room, but the rest of the days they did great. It is good to get the free WIFI but the speed was slow and disconnected me randomly even when I didn't move the laptop. I think it would have been nice to have had an ethernet plug also so that it wouldn't have disconnected. They had a free breakfast which was fine, just a little boring having the exact same thing 4 days in a row. They have an onsite restaurant but the prices were too high to try it. Overall it was a nice stay and a nice hotel.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank anOldMom

Reviewed 26 December 2009

Easy to stay here. Right in downtown WB parking lot convient.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I thought I was booking a room at the Best Western East Mountain Suites, also In Wilkes-Barre, but I mixed up the hotels and booked the Best Western Genetti instead. So when we arrived, I had a fair amount of trepidation because this hotel is older and I was worried it would be poorly maintained.
But on the contrary, this hotel was a great surprise- very clean, normal sized room, and wonderful friendly people.

Here is what I loved about the hotel:
1. The beds are VERY comfortable, VERY clean, with a top sheet covering the blankets. I usually have to request a top sheet after removing the spread- not here.
2. The air conditioning unit is the "older" type near the windows where you adjust the fan, so the room is immediately cooled or heated.
3. The TV had a huge number of channels, way more than the usual 20 or so at most hotels. I think they have a satellite package w/a lot of the shows like TLC, TCM, etc.
4. The room was QUIET inside the hotel. I slept the whole night both nights which I almost never do when I am travelling.
5. The hair dryer works well, it is not one of those cheap ones that overheats and it has a good high speed. It also has an automatic night light on it so you can turn off all the lights at night and still find your way to the bathroom.
6. The area with sink and mirror has mirrors on all three sides of the wall so you don't have to lean over the sink and you can see what you are doing.
7. The bathroom door has a full length mirror on the opposing side so you get a full view of what you have on.
8. The people are really friendly.
9. The hotel has security; you are promptly buzzed in at night and the parking lot is also secured.
10. Parking is free if you are a guest of the hotel.
11. It is a pet friendly hotel. I did not bring a pet but I like that it is pet friendly. And you never would have known that pets are in this hotel.
12. The price was really good. I did not check for a coupon which would have made it an even better price, but apparently they are available on the internet.
13. The bathroom has a fan that goes on when you turn the light on, so it is ventilated.
14. The bathroom also has one of those overhead spotlight fans that you can turn on and it winds down- so the room is nice and brightly lit when you are in there.
15. The bathroom, sink and towels are all very clean and they give you just the right number (3 bath towels), plus lots of extra washcloths and hand towels. I usually have to ask for an extra bath towel for my hair, so it was a pleasant surprise that I was saved a phone call to the desk.
16. The room has free wireless internet.
17. The furniture in our room was new, the style was vintage (think "Olde English") to match the age of the hotel I presume, and contrary to what someone said, the overall room was well lit.
18. As someone also said, there is a nice note when you first get there, about how this is family and they want you to be comfortable.
19. The elevators were new and well maintained. I usually hate hotel elevators at chain hotels, these were great.
19. I did not get a chance to try the morning breakfast or other aspects of the hotel and would have liked to, but there was no time.

I joked with my husband that the person who manages this hotel had more attention to details than I do, which I don't often see at other chain hotels. I usually go for the newest hotel but in the case of this hotel, I will gladly deviate from my usual policy. We were visiting my family in Mountain Top and it is the same distance from this hotel to their house as the other Best Western, so we'll stay here from now on.

Make no mistake, this is not a brand new hotel. It is definitely older, it is not huge, and when you first pull up, you might feel uneasy just as I did. But inside it is great.

The only thing I would recommend to the hotel is to put a brighter light above the sink outside the bathroom. It is not horrible but I would have loved a brighter light. It is the one detail they overlooked IMO. All else is great!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank wdgolf
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Used a coupon from Roomsaver and paid mid $50's for a 2-double room in mid-week. While someone mentioned free parking, I did have to pay $4/night to get the bar raised to get into the parking lot. Got to the hotel before 9pm, and had a quick swim in the outdoor pool all to ourselves. Our room is at the end of the hallway, which is next to a side street. Around 6am, traffic noise from trucks was getting unbearable. The room is clean, but unlike other budget chain hotels, it has no fridge nor microwave. The complimentary hot breakfast is ok. The traffic noise and lack of fridge keep me from giving it a higher grade.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Trip_Review_DN
Reviewed 15 September 2009

The Best Western Genetti deserves great credit. In many downtowns, this hotel might seem perfectly nice but nothing special. But the Genetti has anchored downtown Wilkes-Barre long enough to have helped nurse this struggling city at least part of the way back to health, and now its location--steps away from Public Square, with its performing arts center, restaurants, and stores--is beginning to bear fruit. There's free parking, comfortable rooms, a way above average hot breakfast included in the price, and an unusually friendly and courteous staff. Not only will you be welcomed, you'll receive a phone call asking if your room is to your liking and proactively offering you directions. Rooms here are furnished traditionally (yet with new flat-screen TVs and DVD players). The fussy Colonial decor may be nothing special, but the linens are new, the beds comfortable, and everything is clean and works well. If you need to be in downtown Wilkes-Barre and not on the outskirts somewhere, this is a very easy place to recommend.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Lit-traveler
Reviewed 9 August 2009

I was there on business and the biggest surprise was how fabulous the linens were...clean and crisp. In fact, the whole room was very clean. The air conditioner smelled fresh too. The breakfast buffet was quite good. I even liked the exercise room. All in all I am trying to figure out how to stay there again. Anyone know who is playing at the Wachovia center?

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Haley_girl11
Reviewed 16 July 2009

just fine--i don't know why anybody has complaints--good downtown location--free parking on premises--nice free breakfast, better than rolls and coffee

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple