“BEST Mexican in NEPA, and possibly Pennsylvania, bar none!!!”
Review of Margarita Azul

Margarita Azul
Ranked #31 of 283 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Pennsylvania
“BEST Mexican in NEPA, and possibly Pennsylvania, bar none!!!”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Let me preface this by saying my wife and I have eaten Mexican food in just about every city and area known for Mexican food - Texas, San Diego, Denver, as well as both coasts of Mexico. This place stands tall with the best of 'em. No, it's not "Southwestern" or Tex-Mex, this is the real deal - authentic sauces and flavors, slow-cooked pork, al pastor, tacos served with raw onion and fresh cilantro, even the radish salad, stuff you won't find at the chain restaurants. I've never been disappointed in the food, it is fantastic. A bottle of pineapple Jarritos washes it all down very nicely.
The prices are very reasonable, the servers have always been friendly, and the eats are out of this world.
A word of caution - unless you enjoy unbearably loud club music while eating, stay away on Fridays and Saturdays. Guaranteed blinding headache. Go during the week, and bring cash, they don't do credit or debit.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank donvee

Chicago
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Margarita Azul - I like this place.”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Finding this place was completely random, since I'd often looked for Mexican food and Tequila options here in Wilkes-Barre before. It is a hole in the wall kinda place, but very comfortable and welcoming (Wednesday night). The food here is on par with some of my favorites in other parts of the country. I felt right at home. No matter that I was the only suit in the place. I found myself wiping the sweat from my brow from the real hot sauce I got with my steak tacos, which were excellent. I had really missed that. They have wings too, (from mild to hhottttt). More sweat. My Bar-keep, Lydia kept tabs on me and adjusted my margarita to my taste (hard to find these days). They had good Latin music, a bit of old Mexican polka too,
My only wish is that they had actual salsa for the chips. They serve their chips with pico de gallo, which I got used to pretty quickly, but still.... guess I'm still a gringo.
This was my first visit, but I'll be back, most likely every week, and provide an update later on.
I believe they are still a cash business.

• Visited March 2013
“It's now the Blue Margarita (Margarita Azul).”
Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

Parking is scarce.
The restaurant is long and narrow, just as when it was the home of Perugino's, but the atmosphere is entirely different. It is very loud, and I can't honestly say that I admired their taste in music. My daughter thought I took her to a dive. Things looked up as soon as the waitress bright out the chips and salsa--by far the absolute best salsa in Wilkes-Barre! Our large Margaritas were just five dollars each. If we had waited until happy hour, they would have cost only four dollars!
Our dinners were delicious and very reasonable. I had the $9.50 enchiladas with spicy pork, and my daughter's $10 chimichanga was ENORMOUS! Cheese strung down from the refried beans with each forkful. I took half of my enchiladas dinner home. Julia's chimichanga seemed to have barely a dent in it!
A WORD OF WARNING: Take CASH with you. Do NOT expect to use a debit or charge card here. There is an ATM in the restaurant that charges a $2.50 fee.

1 Thank standardsandjazz
Kingston, PA
“The best Mexican + food in Wilkes-Barre”
Reviewed 10 February 2008

Finding a place to park in this neighborhood can be tough, but it's well worth the effort. This restaurant/bar is located in the old Perigino's restaurant in the Rolling Mills Hill section of Wilkes-Barre. The decor is scant and minimalist, and the back room a bit dark, but the atmosphere is warmed by the upbeat music and spicy food. El Antro offers the standard fare of NEPA beer (Lager, Guiness, Lite...), and three Mexican beers Sol, Corona, and Tecante. The El Antro (fried cactus) appetizer was tasty and unique, and the flautas appetizer was delicious, smothered with homemade guacamole sauce. The portions are huge: most entrees come with Spanish or Mexican rice, and beans. I loved the enchiladas with their rich mole sauce. Needless to say, we were too full for dessert. We'll save room next time, as we'll be sure to return. We're not the only ones who love this place- we noticed two tables full of staff from Chili's restaurant enjoying margaritas and fajitas as well.

3 Thank L_LeChat
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“El Antro will make you think La Tolteca is Taco Bell with waiters. The food is 100% better, freshly made, and generous...”
Reviewed 22 December 2007

El Antro will make you think La Tolteca is Taco Bell with waiters. The food is 100% better, freshly made, and generous portions...AND it's the same price or cheaper than La Tolteca. I'll never go to Tolteca again for Mexican!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook