“cheap rares”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Washington, Pennsylvania
“cheap rares”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

cheap place to stay, room comfortable, no breakfast but you cant beat it for the price. only problem, elevator wasn't working, lpng way to the third floor. staff very friendly. very easy t find on the highway.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Fayann K, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn in Wilkes-Barre. I am happy to hear you enjoyed a comfortable room and found our staff to be very friendly. We are easy to find and the best value in town. Thank you again. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Ontario
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Booked this for our Friday night as we traveled thru town, like anyone wants clean safe and affordable night’s stay. Read the reviews and booked, never had an opportunity to stay at a Red Roof before so here we go! Check in was fine other than she said the elevator was broken, wasn’t sure if she was being funny or serious, never did see one but never looked that hard for it. Room was on the top floor but closest to the stairs. Three trips to unload the truck but who doesn’t like a little exercise, it’s always good to stretch your legs after driving for a few hours? Clearly the room had a makeover with new flooring, paint. Why they didn’t change the bed spread to complete the new look is beyond me was old and tried looking and had a stain on it, pulled it off the bed and spelt without it. Further investigation showed no other glaring issue such as sheet, mattress, and towels pillows all clean and/or new. Not sure but the outside balcony style hallways seem to hold the noise levels in, heard quite a bit of loud talking as if they were standing in front of our door, opened and looked around only to find out is was from the floor before. We would try another Red Roof for a different experience but can’t see us staying at this one again anytime soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AxeandTweedle
Thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn in Wilkes-Barre. We greatly appreciate your feedback and comments. Our elevator is in the process of being repaired and it is our hope it will be operational again as soon as possible. I am sorry you were disturbed by loud talking of other guests and that the duvet on the bed was stained. Necessary measures have been taken to insure these items do not occur again. Thank you again for your comments. We hope you will give us a chance to better serve you in the future.
New Holland, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Upon a late check-in I was greeted by a friendly employee, but also by an unclean room. After taking pictures of the hair and food crumbs in the bathroom I showed them to the clerk first thing in the morning (I mentioned the dirty toilet, too). I asked if our room could be thoroughly cleaned. I watched her make a note of the incident on a folder of some sort. When we got back to our room our beds were made nicely and at first glance it seemed like our room was genuinely clean. NOT SO! The hair and food debris were in the same spot in the bathroom--obviously the place was not vacuumed or mopped. Disgusting! Upon leaving--quite eagerly--the next morning I looked under the bed to make sure we weren't leaving anything behind. That is when I found the condom wrapper and "used" tissues under the bed. I still shudder to think what else ... ICK! Then came the insult to the injury. It seems I did leave something behind--my laptop cable (oh, also, the wifi was a horrible connection in my room). I called the hotel as soon as I realized and they politely told me they would ship it to my home. Great! That's service that might make up for my horrible stay. NOPE. When my cord arrived 10 days later it was sent COD--even my post man was surprised--and I was forced to cut a check for $12.75. Suffice to say I will never go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank FoodieWriter13
Thank you for your comments. We greatly value your feedback. I am sorry we let you down regarding the cleanliness of your room and WiFi connectivity. Our WiFi system will be receiving an upgrade in the very near future. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and hope you will give us another chance to better serve you in the future.
Colchester, Vermont
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Hadn't tried a Red Roof in a long time, was tired and pulled over late one night last week and was pleasantly surprised at the very nicely remodeled room at only $63. New flat screen tv, wood floors, decent sized bathroom, first floor easy access to my car just outside, very good experience. Just need more cable choices, no NBCSports for LA Chicago Stanley Cup game 7!

Room Tip: Rooms on west side are away from highway noise, ground floor park your car right in front of your do...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Fayann K, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wilkes-Barre Red Roof Inn, and for taking the time to share your experience with others on Trip Advisor. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your newly renovated room and it's amenities. Your comments were very much appreciated and I hope you will consider Red Roof Inn for any future lodging needs. Again, Thank You.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Room looked fine. There were NO AMENITIES in the room. NO HAIR DRYER, NO IRON/IRON BOARD, NO COFFEE, NO FRIDGE OR MICROWAVE.NO SHAMPOO. ELEVATOR BROKEN. WE ARE OLDER AND DISABLED AND HAD TO CARRY LUGGAGE UPSTAIRS. Were told we could upgrade to room with coffee,microwave and fridge for $10 more, but alas, no premium rooms available. But for an even higher price we could up grade to their super rooms. Days Inn, and many other hotels are available for those prices. Next time we will go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Bring your own coffee pot. Or better yet, stay in another hotel. Thats what we will do
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura C
Fayann K, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel in Trip Advisor. I am truly sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. The amenities you listed are not available in all rooms, and are available by request. Also, please accept my apology that the elevator was not operable. We have been working diligently to correct this problem. Thank you again for sharing your concerns, and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you the next time you require lodging in this area.
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed in Wilkes-Barre rather than Scranton because the price was better. We were a little apprehensive but no need to worry. Very nice place. Newly renovated.
Hard wood laminate throughout with rug around the beds. Beds were very comfortable. No fridge or microwave, though.
This motel does not offer breakfast. We were on the highway side of the motel but we ran the fan all night to muffle the traffic noise.
They do charge you $1.50 for the safe but you can have it taken off the next morning if you don't use it. This is an automatic charge so you have to remember to have it taken off.
Front desk staff very friendly. Would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nikita42
I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Red Roof Inn on Trip Advisor. Your comfort and satisfaction is our number one priority and I am happy to read that we met your expectations. I will share your review with the entire staff, as it serves as recognition to a job well done. Again, Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn.
Mt Pocono PA
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I didn't know Red Roof Inn had renovated and became such a great little hotel. The rooms are clean and modern with great work area (desk) which doubled as a kitchen table for us. The floors are great. No used up hotel carpet. Nice hardwood look, very unique and cleaner. I went around barefoot confidently :) Nice tv with all the usual cable channels I like, super comfy bed and pillows! Nice, clean, efficient bathroom. Plus cold fridge, microwave, and overall nice furniture. Desk chair is very comfortable. Lots of lamps especially liked not TOO bright ones over each side of bed for reading - didn't bother partner sleeping. Although by interstate, quiet due to nice surrounding trees and the way hotel is "tucked away".
Very good for price. Half cost of Holiday Inn Express and just as comfy. I'd stay again.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank TanyaWhoTravels
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a nice compliment. We are glad that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms, and that you felt they are a great value. I am happy to hear that you felt confident in bare feet as that is a real compliment! Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn, and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.