“Good Value and Good Option if traveling with pets”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Williamsport
South Carolina
“Good Value and Good Option if traveling with pets”
Reviewed 31 July 2010

When we travel with our small dog, our hotel options are limited, but we usually are able to find a number of hotels who will accept pets. However, in Williamsport, we only found three. Since we are Choice Hotel members, we opted for the EconoLodge to earn points. While this motel is one of the older ones we have stayed at, the staff was friendly, the room as clean, the wireless internet worked perfectly, and the breakfast was adequate and what we expect from Choice Hotels. The attached restaurant - The Lodge - was a pleasant surprise, and we had a great casual dinner of ribs, chicken and burgers that was 10% off by showing our room key. If you are traveling with a pet, the EconoLodge is a good choice in Williamsport.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank micshell66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
HONESDALE
Reviewed 30 June 2010

We were traveling in the area to see our grandson play baseball. It is a very busy area and had trouble finding a room. We were somewhat nervous after reading some reviews in Tripadvisor, but not usually having any problems with Choice Hotels we decided to bool a room here. The hotel needs some work.( We had no hair dryer, a plate in the wall for an outlet was loose) but we had a refrigerator and the room was clean. Our room was right next to a busy commercial strip and overlooked an all night gas station but we heard no noise. Breakfast area was small but had good choices and was more than adequate.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ecb41
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2010

Stayed one night on the way south from Toronto.
Pros: The internet worked fine, the in-room fridge was a nice bonus. Front desk was efficient. The continental breakfast was fine. The price was low.
Cons: The rooms need an updating, the bathroom looks like something out a 1950s hospital room. Cleanliness was mediocre.
I found my room quiet and clean enough, but there were a lot of flying bugs. This is an EconoLodge, though - so my expectations were low. Hotels/motels around Williamsport were expensive, this had the lowest rates.

The recommendation below is only based on a similar scenario, ie just passing through and just need a place to sleep.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
No where, PA
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Okay, trying to save a few dollars plus stay in a discreet location. We accomplished both but...oh my. The rooms are dirty and bugs have been spotted. The walls are thin and you can hear just about everything. A lot of gas drilling workers were staying there and came and went all night long. The room was dark and dreary and you couldn't open the blinds unless you wanted everyone walking by to be able to see you. Only the top plug of the outlets worked and there were way too few so we had to take turns plugging things in. The bathroom light was outside the door and around the corner??? The fixtures were old and in dire need of replacement.

The room did have a nice, large refrigerator and a microwave. The internet is free and fast which was a bonus. The restaurant, The Lodge did have good wings and burgers.

I'd recommend upgrading and spending a few bucks more on the new Comfort Inn Suites across the street.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Williamsport hotels

Harrisburg, PA
Reviewed 2 May 2010

It's in a nice convenient location and it was a great value. HOWEVER, the blood stains on my husband's pillow is the reason for my "1 star" review. When I checked out in the morning, the clerk's response was "you could've called us for more pillows last night" -- um and you guys could've made sure there weren't blood stains on our pillows? Ew, yuck - won't ever stay at another Econo Lodge as long as I live!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Ohio
Reviewed 16 July 2009

First of all, it's an EconoLodge, not the Ritz.

That said, what could have been a bad stay, with some red flags, turned out to be much better than expected.

This EconoLodge (despite the appearance from the picture, which makes it look like it's in the country) is on the edge of one of Wlliamsport's commercial strips. It's next to a Sheetz and across from some sort of a scary looking small bar/take out liquor store, but it doesn't feel unsafe. It's also near the Comfort Inn, across from the Sheetz.

My room was clean, freshly vacuumed, and quiet. I stayed back in the building that's not adjacent to the attached restaurant/bar, didn't face the street, and heard nothing. (Nor from the bar/take out across the street, it's far enough across that it isn't really next door.) The bathroom was also clean.

The high speed Internet was just fine...I used it throughout my stay, and it was pretty much standard or even a little quicker than some hotel connections.

The TV was a standard cheap tube set, but had full local basic cable (Comcast, IIRC) and the picture was more than fine.

I had very little experience with the front desk, just check-in and check-out, but they were helpful.

If I paid $100 for this room, I'd be disappointed, but I was using Choice points for it. It was a decent room for whatever they charge for it (probably $60ish?). I saw the reviews for it here, and almost declined to book it, but I'm glad I did. Some of the factors I mentioned make me wonder if I just got lucky in room placement, or if people behaved themselves, but I have no complaints for my stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Hollywood,CA
Reviewed 7 June 2009

This was the most terriable place to stsy at. When we checked in the staff was really rude. We had to wait for 15 minutes to be checked in. Then when we entered the room, it had a strange smell. Then we looked at the carpets and they were dirty. So we also wanted to take a shower and the water was not 100% hot. We called about that they claim it takes awhile to get hot. Then we went out to eat. We then can back and the TV remote didn't work. So we had to walk down to the office to get a different remote. The person down there apparently either didn't know what she was doing or was really slow. Finally we wanted to sleep. Well we rolled down the bed and the sheets were dirty with stains on them. I called and complained. The person at the front desk was not helpful at all. So there was a second bed and we actually put our own sheets on there so we knew that the sheets were clean. The next day when we checked out we were trying to file a complaint with the hotel and they were like all rude with us. The so called asist manager was being rude as well. He said that theres nothing that they are going to do for us. They said we decided to stay there and his people did the right thing. Well it was the worst expierience that we had ever had with any hotel we stayed at. Then the one person made a commet stating what do you think this is the Holiday Inn Express or something? Well we told them what we thought about this place, and they all made commets about how out of towners always complain about this place. Well no more Econo Lodge at all. We called their corporate office, and they stated they are privately owsned and there nothing that they can do for us. Also this place needs to be put out of business. Also they threaten to call the police if we didn't stop telling other people on how our stay was. So we told the coal crackers off.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple