“Please look at the reviews that were found helpful by others” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Genetti Hotel - Williamsport

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Genetti Hotel - Williamsport
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Williamsport
Tampa, Florida
“Please look at the reviews that were found helpful by others”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

There's a lot of negative sounding reviews of the Genetti on Tripadvisor, please look at the ones that were found helpful. I think some reviewers are looking for a 5 star hotel in Williamsport. Sorry, the town's not big enough to support something like that. But what it does offer is a "grand, old hotel" thats been well taken care of through the years, and represents a good value in that market.

I grew up in Williamsport and the Genetti (known as the Lycoming Hotel in the "old days") was always known for quality. It was the place that anybody that was somebody stayed at when they were passing through. From rock stars to movie stars to politicians, the Genetti has seen them all.

Since my mother has moved out of her home, my wife and I started staying at the Genetti during our trips to Williamsport. We have always received good, comfortable, and clean accomidations when staying here. The prices have almost always been below those of the competitors, and it offers something that none of the others do. True suites, with full walls, sitting rooms etc. in a convenient downtown location. Restaurants in (safe) walking distance. A Wegmans down the street. Shopping nearby, and close to the on-off ramp. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. Not at all "snobby" like some of those you run into in "modern" luxury hotels.

But don't just trust me, check other the other reviews.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Xtudofan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oak Ridge, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

Extremely small bathroom, dirty toilet,(stains & mold rings) wouldn't flush completely, with an old step- on flusher,heaven help someone who is handicapped, hair on a towel, no towel bars.

Microwave was dirty, and furniture dusty. I just hope that the sheets had been changed.

I was visiting with relatives, so we ate at the "restaurant". We left a cash tip of 5 on a 27 dollar check. Then found out when I got my charge card bill, the server had put another 5 on my card!!!! Nothing like getting a 37% tip for subpar service! I guess she figures the guest won't notice. So BEWARE of your charges here. I will be calling management to let them be aware of the theft, but I doubt they will care, I talked to him and the owner, and they didn't even offer to take something off for the dirty room, they even came to my room and looked and agreed with me.

So if you like old dirty "charm", and noisy cars and people yelling outside ......stay here at your own risk.

Room Tip: Pick the most expensive, it might be OK
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marsha M
Broomall, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

My husband and I visited Williamsport and spent 2 nights in this charming historical hotel (being refurbished) in September 2011 on our way to the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania and loved it. We are planning a trip to part of Route 6 in May/June 2012 and will come home via Williamsport and stay at the Genetti again. We were on the 9th floor (which had not been renovated yet, according to one of the Managers), but the room was spacious, immaculate and had a great view (the Genetti being the tallest building in Williamsport). The dinners in the attached 4th Street Bar and Restaurant were excellent and moderately priced. The complimentary breakfast was to die for! We travel a lot and we give this hotel 5 stars (on a 5-star scale). We definitely would go back.
Betsy & Al, Broomall, Pennsylvania

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor with a view of the river.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Betsy4904
frankpgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

An old hotel does have charm, but unless you're going to maintain the hotel then you might as well close the place.

I was stuck here on a business trip as all of the other hotels in the area were sold out. I can see why this place had rooms.

When I made my reservation I reserved a King Executive and was quoted $179/night. I arrived and was placed in a small queen room for $119. When I asked why there was a change, I was old it was because they ran out of rooms. So much for a reservation!

"Small queen room" = smaller than a cruise ship cabin. There is also NO WAY this was a queen bed. I started out by not being able to get into the room with the key not working. I returned to the front desk, was rekeyed and in my room. Surprisingly - that was the last time my room door locked. Fortunately - I was only here for one night and only had to leave the room to pick up dinner in the lobby - but my door would not lock when I left the room.

It would lock with a dead bolt once in the room but not if you left the room.

The bathroom afords you the luxary of sitting on the toilet (which has no tank and is an original from the 20's) while being able to use the sink and still stick your head in the shower to wash your hair. That's how tight it was!

The bathroom had a vent which you could look through and see the sun shining in. There was no cover on the outside wall - just a vent to the outside. There was also a trap door above the shower which did not appear to be locked.

When I opened the compact refridgerator a large piece of ice in the shape of the freezer itself came flying out and on to the floor along with a bunch of water. I guess it was in defrost mode?

Time to plug in my laptop and get some work done - but where do you plug in a laptop when all of the plugs only have 2 prongs! Everything had apaters on it except the airconditioner. I was able to get some work done and then charge my laptop with the one set of 3 prong plugs located in the bathroom.

The newest feature of the room was a nice sized flat screen TV. Of cousre, it didn't fit in the furniture so they put it on top of an entertainment center about 3 feet shy of the ceiling. Nice kink in my neck from staring up at the TV in the corner of the room.

The food in the restauarant was sloppy and greasy, but they did have a nice beer selection - big deal.

I actually left my room to look for the fire escapes because that is the kind of feeling you get in this hotel.

Take my advice - if there isn't another hotel room available in Williamsport - drive the 15 miles to Lewisburg and avoid this place.

For less money I could have had a suite at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites - but I wanted to stay in town. Mistake!

The one positive - the staff were nice. I even felt bad for them.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank frankpgh
reviewhawk, General Manager at Genetti Hotel - Williamsport, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
Frankpgh,
We here at the Genetti take our guest feeback very seriously. I certainly can agree with you on the issues you mentioned in your post. I only wish we could have had a chance to make things right before you left our Hotel. The room you stayed in is one of the smallest rooms in the house and is due for major renovations. On the night of your stay the market was completely full and you were placed in the last of our rooms available and is the reason for the more than $60 discount to our current rate. We apologize for your experience and hope you will give us another try in the future. We have many more rooms in the Hotel that you would find more than suitable for your business needs. If you will contact me directly, I will be happy to handle your next reservation personally. GM@Genetti.com
Stephens City, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

We just had our daughter's wedding reception at The Genetti. ALL of our guests (100+) were from out of town. Including ourselves, the Bride's parents. We had reserved 4 rooms. A single. a double and a king, As well as the Bridal suite for the night prior to the wedding for the bride to stay. The Bridal Suite was complimentary the night of the wedding, But we had to pay for the night prior. The Bridal suite had a King Bed, a jaquzzi w/mirrored walls around it. A sofa a deskand chair, entertainment cent 32" TV. The single room had a queen bed, a table and a chair. It was a bit cramped but nice enough for 1 person. The double had 2 queen beds a sofa and a desk. A nice room for 3 people. When we arrived we were given a free upgrade to a King suite. It was 2 rooms with glass doors seperating the 2 rooms. King bed, dresser small table and chair in the sleeping area, the other room had a sofa, entertainment center, 32" TV, Fridge, Microwave sm table and chair. The room was very quiet, the bed comfy, the pillows okay. Everything was well-appointed with a bit of historic charm. They combined newer with older very nicely. The only complaint I have for the King Suite was the air vents. They are in the ceilings and blow directly on you when laying in bed or sitting on the sofa. The fan on the thermostat is constantly running you cannot turn it off. Other than that The rooms were very clean and the staff was very helpful. Very few of our guests had issues with their rooms, but there was a few. I was told by 1 or 2 of our guests that the room the were given was "horrible". I was told it was " incredibly small, with painted cinder block walls and a rickety chair. "Like a dorm room." My guests went to the front desk and told the staff the room was unacceptable and please change their room. The front desk did their best to accommodate our guests and in the end all were happy with their rooms. Their prices are a bit steep but I would definately stay again!

Room Tip: If unhappy with your room inform the front desk. They do try their best to please everyone.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Patricia W
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

This was our first stay at the Genetti and weren't sure what to expect. The historic hotel was very clean and well appointed. We had a queen suite. What made this trip especially memorable was the service. ALL staff members were friendly, considerate and patient. This was an extremely busy night, yet the entire staff and management performed their duties in a first class manner in meeting our needs. Our meals at the 4th Street bar and restaurant were also excellent. The free parking and tremendous free breakfast were among unexpected benefits. We would recommend this pleasant and nostalgic experience to anyone.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RSLKY
Southern CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

The Genetti is likely the oldest hotel in Williamsport. While there are some larger upgraded rooms, most are extremely small, cramped and in original condition.. Sound proofing is nonexistent and you can hear everything on your floor. The only good thing I experienced is the 4th Street bar and restaurant. The beer selection is good and the food is decent and reasonably priced. Beware of the all you can eat buffet as it's all you can eat until it's gone. When it's gone, you've finished eating. There are many newer hotels to choose from and are a better value. When and if the Genetti renovates completely, it might be worth a second look.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo