“A grand old hotel that's really working to provide good customer service.”

Genetti Hotel & Suites
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Williamsport
ROME
“A grand old hotel that's really working to provide good customer service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel in February 2010 and had some bad experiences (see "Shabby but not Chic..."). The assistant manager read my review, called me and apologized. He said that the hotel had "dropped the ball" and that they were going to work on improving.
So I went back in May. What a difference! We had topnotch service. The staff was paying attention to the customers. There were managers overseeing service at the desk and in the restaurant. The food and service in the restaurant were great; our room was beautiful, and everything I complained about before had been taken care of. We had some trouble with the key cards for our door, and a manager was right up to take care of it. I think that this hotel has undergone a management shake-up and is really trying to give good service.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Roaming_Roman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel for a function that was going on in one of the ballrooms. The reception itself was nice, the food was good, and we have no complaints about that portion of our stay.

The hotel itself is old and has potential to be charming, but the rooms are very poorly maintained. There was wallpaper peeling off the hallway walls, as well as the walls in our room. Our room was considerably smaller than what the Genetti seemed to advertise when we booked on the website. We ordered a queen size bed and a cot, which required rearranging all of the furniture in the room just to fit it in. It was extremely easy to hear people in the rooms next to us-- we could hear their door opening and closing just as easily as we could hear our own.

The bathroom was not well-maintained, as there were considerable issues with the wooden door frame rotting from lack of proper ventilation, and again, the Genetti's signature peeling wallpaper. The shower alternated scalding and freezing water.

The restaurant where brunch is served does not have a smooth system of tracking who has ordered extra drinks, etc., when a large party is being served. Some people at our table ordered drinks, and due to the hotel's lack of organization, the cost was spread out over everyone eating at that table instead of being billed to the proper customer (although, since you were not given a receipt at the table, you did not realize this until you waited 10 minutes in a check-out line to hear your total.) The same hostess tries to seat arriving guests, while ringing up those who have already eaten and are waiting to pay. This causes a large gathering of people right near the entrance/exit. We did not question the extra drink charges on our bill because it was obvious the poor hostess was frazzled and dealing with a lot at once, but we were very disappointed to pay over $30 for a simple brunch for two. (There is a Perkin's restaurant 2 blocks down the road, and I would recommend walking there if you are looking for a reasonably-priced brunch.)

Overall, we left the Genetti wishing that we had booked rooms at the Hampton Inn right down the street. The Genetti was poorly-maintained, and our rooms were NOT worth the amount we paid for them. The brunch experience topped off our weekend of feeling utterly ripped off.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

We spent New Years Eve there and it was terrific! We were spending the week after Chrstmas driving through PA from Philadelphia to Lancaster up Rt. 15 to Lewisburg along the river, etc... and the day before New Years Eve we happened to stop into the Genetti by chance. What a great surprise.

It is one of those old and great hotels. It needs some updating, but its charm, great views of the city, and the feeling that we had just gone back in time was great!

We found out that they had a great New Years Eve concert of live jazz music, dinner and dancing, etc... and decided to stay on a second day so we could enjoy it all. It was terrific fun and great to meet both a lot of locals who went and stayed there just for the event as well as some others that came from as far away as Washington DC and Rochester, NY to see the singer.

Overalll, I think it was one of the best hotel/New Years Eve combo I've ever done!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank McJasper99
ROME
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2010

My friends and I chose this hotel because of its location, close to an event we were attending. There were eighteen of us. We did get a break on the room price, but most of us were disappointed in our rooms. And there were oversights that said that management hadn't been doing its job.
This is an old hotel which is apparently being renovated. The wallpaper is peeling; the bathrooms are small and dowdy. On my floor there was a maintenance area that was gutted, with wires and extension cords sticking out into the hall. My room was seriously overheated; the heat control did not work, and we had to run the AC just to be able to sleep. Some of the rooms had very poor water pressure.
When I checked in Friday night, I was given a room that had not been cleaned since the previous guests left, with unmade beds and dirty towels on the bathroom floor. We got the room changed.
Saturday morning there was no furniture in the lobby to sit and wait for our friends, although it was put back by Sunday morning. Still don't understand this.
While I was waiting on Saturday morning the front desk clerk had an extended personal conversation on the phone which everyone in the lobby could hear.
The food in the restaurant and bar was okay, but nothing to write home about. The breakfast buffet Sunday morning was still being put out when we went down around 9, and we had to ask for bowls for the fruit. The service was good and so was the bacon, although the scrambled eggs were kind of rubbery. It was $7.95 although the desk clerk had told us that it would be $5.00.
There were some plusses: the hotel had a large parking lot, and it was centrally located. We could walk to our restaurant on Saturday night.
I think that if I have to go to Williamsport again I would choose a more modern chain hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

The Genetti was an interesting experience, we had an 8th floor corner room with two double beds. The room was HUGE the ceiling was high, the bathroom was an excellent size. The bathroom had a very old school toilet, lots of room to move around and a decent amount of towels. The towels were wearing a little thin, but not the worst i've seen. Bathroom vanity was a tacky peach coloured chipboard unit, but it was clean and had lots of space. Room had good lighting, a mirror and a window that opened. The window mount a/c heating unit was pretty standard fare, it could be improved with a wall mount thermostat but otherwise was fine. Plenty of outlets for my laptop/chargers. Comfortable wingback chair and desk chair. My room had a fridge and a microwave.

I loved the retro feel of the hotel! It was, as mentioned in another review, like days gone by. I've been in old hotels before, but they have almost always been gutted and renovated to the point where they look like a brand new westin. This place was reasonably clean.The elevator was very old school, but we had no problems with it. It was an excellent change from cookie cutter hotels!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

From the moment the receptionist answers the phone, you feel right at home. The staff at the Genetti is so sweet and always there for your every need. The facility is historic. If you are looking for the trendy hotel with modern flair, this hotel is not for you. If you are looking for a charming, warm, and cozy place, this is for you. We were married in Williamsport and had our reception in the Grand Ballroom of the Genetti. The staff did an amazing job coordinating every detail. As the bride, I was worry free on the big day! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to hold a special event. I can't say enough positive things about it!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bjs271psu
Greensburg, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2009

FALSE ADVERTISING ON WEBSITE!!!! If you click on the "standard room accomodations" on the website you get a picture of something MUCH DIFFERENT than it really is!!!
We stayed one night for my sons college graduation, and made the reservations well in advance. The room was extremely tiny and much worse than any "cheap hotel" that I have ever stayed in!!!!! There were no racks or tables for your luggage other than the beds, so when my 85 year old mom needed something from her bag she had to get down on the floor to get it. There was NO counter in the bathroom for toiletries etc. --not even a toilet tank---JUST A HANDLE!!! No exaust fan in the bathroom--it became a sauna after a shower. And no mirror in the room other than in the tiny bath, so other guests couldn't have a mirror if someone was in the bathroom!! The heating unit was quite noisy also--but was probably noticed much more becaus the room was SO TINY!!
The only good thing is that the bed was very comfortable--although very high and once again difficult for my 85 year old mother to get in and out of...
VERY DISAPPOINTED!! An old hotel can have historic charm and updated amenities too. You need to do some major reconstruction, and not worry so much about HOW MANY rooms you can have and how much money you can make on them! I WISH I had taken photos to post with this review!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family