“Convenient, but expensive”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Willow Grove
Manlius, New York
“Convenient, but expensive”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at the Courtyard in Willow Grove for one night. They could not find our reservation, because it was filed under my first name rather than last name. For $210 per night, one would have thought that breakfast would have been included.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Tustin, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here two nights for one of my closest friend’s from college’s wedding. This is where (as his mom put it) stuffed the guest until we were needed. The hotel is located in Willow Grove right where the 276 and 611 meet. If you’re coming from the 276 or the 611 going north, you’ll have to make a u-turn into the gas station to get the place. Otherwise if you’re heading south on the 611 you’ll just have to turn right into the hotel parking lot. The hotel shares a space with a bar/restaurant, and there’s also a Home Depot pretty close.

Walking in the lobby is very open, modern, and airy, with a lot of natural light. It defiantly looks like it has been renovated recently, complete with a flat screen TV info station, contemporary furniture, a small business center, and ‘The Bistro’ café. Is it the most fancy place in the world? No, but I’ve been in plenty of nice hotels before, and I have no problem or qualms about this place. Walking in you’ll find it’s clean, efficient, and put together, a great credit to its managerial staff.

The hotel is shaped like a ‘U’, with two wings that are accessed from turning either left or right when you’re in the lobby. There are also direct entrances around the outside that takes you straight into the room, however if you don’t have a card key, you can’t get into any of the side entrances, and will have to go in through the main lobby.

Going into the room, I was very pleasantly surprised. My normal experience when I stay at a mid-level chain hotel in a small town is that the rooms are a little stale and out of date, however that was not the case this time around. Like the lobby the rooms were modern and bright. Maybe’s it’s purely physiological, as you’ll just naturally feel more relaxed when you go to ‘your room’ at a hotel, but going into my room I was immediately put at ease. The sheets were clean and comfortable, a 32’’ flat screen TV was easily viewable, a good-sized bathroom and a nice and convenient workspace to put my computer down. I even had a balcony that looked out to the parking lot (not that the view was particularly great, but still a cool little feature).

I toured around the property and caught a glimpse of the fitness center and the pool. The fitness center was pretty basic, a couple of treadmills, an elliptical, a stationary bike, one workout bench, and a rack of weight that go up to fifty pounds. Again it was pretty basic, but I was able to get creative and put in a decent workout. However I must confess I was the only one in the fitness center the whole time I was there, and if there was a second, it might have been too crowded to do what I was doing.

There is also a pool, of which I did not go into, but it’s inside and there is also a hot tub present as well. A small patio area with lounge chairs and tables to sit around in right outside the pool area, which is located inside the ‘U’ of the property. What was funny was that various other guests from our wedding party were able to come out onto their balconies and see us lounging around the outside (yes, they came an joined us).

I had breakfast at ‘The Bistro” the first morning I was there, and again it didn’t disappoint. It doesn’t have the biggest menu in the world, but a solid selection of breakfast items made to order, and brought to your table. I had oatmeal a fruit, and for about six bucks it more than filled me up, and was plated and put together very well. If I were to have stayed longer, I wouldn’t have any complaints about going down for breakfast on a regular basis.

In the end, I have no complaints over my stay. It was convenient and comfortable, and for a hotel like this that’s all you can ask for. The staff was very professional and unfailing polite, it’s defiantly a well-run ship! Although the likelihood of me every coming back and stay here again are slim, if the opportunity every comes up I know where I’m going to stay!

Room Tip: Get one that looks at the pool rather than the parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Al J, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Willow Grove, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I'm gald to read that you were happy with your stay. Thanks for staying at the hotel.
Boston
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

This is a Courtyard Marriott, so it is not amazing. However, it is clean, seems renovated recently, and not that expensive. The bed was very comfortable - possibly the most comfortable bed I have found in a hotel. We stayed here while in town for a wedding, and it was the perfect place for a stopover. If you will be spending significant amounts of time at your hotel, I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise, it is great. My one complaint was the poor water pressure.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Al J, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Willow Grove, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
I'm glad to hear that you had a nice stay.
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Recent stay for a wedding. Was shown rooms prior to stay and selected a suite due to the fact I anticipated entertaining other guests. This was discussed with management prior to reservations. Was told this would not be a problem.
Arrived and the room I was shown was not available and put into a handicaped room ( I have no handicaps).
Counter personal were of no help in resolving this problem. Stay was nothing but a mistake.
I spend 150 nights a year in hotels and this has to be that worst experience I have ever had.
The suite was $250 a night and I would rate it more in line with an average room in the range or maybe $100.
I would not recommend this location to anyone traveling the area.
Further complaint will be filed with Marriott Hotels.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Al J, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Willow Grove, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
I apologize that you had a bad experience at the hotel. Please call me at the hotel to discuss this further.
Linden, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was a very enjoyable hotel stay. We were there to attend a David Bromberg Show in Glenside, at The Keswick Thtre. About 5 miles from there. The hotel was clean, spacious, very accommodating. The pool was virtually empty whenever we went swimming. A nice Whirlpool. VERY BIG. VERY HOT. A perfect complement to a swim, and to relax. We had breakfast included in our room rate, which saves you a couple bucks. Breakfast was well portioned, hot, cooked to order, and tasty. We didn't have drinks there due to other reviewers saying how steep the prices were, but looking at the drink guide, they didn't look all that unreasonable.We explored the surrounding area for dinner and drinks, and there were lots of places within walking distance. The round trip cab ride from the Hotel to The Keswick Thtre. was 30..00, plus tip. Not unreasonable if your having drinks and don't want to kill people while driving. A great stay. Entrance to highway to Philadelphia is 50ft. from the front door, so the location is excellent. Marriott. Our newest favorite hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 2nd fl. suite.Ask for a balcony. In Hot months, stay in a Courtyard room, it's se...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grateful908
I'm glad to read that you had a nice stay. Thanks for choosing to stay at the hotel.
Florida
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

This Courtyard would have earned an extra star except for a few minor gaffs. When I checked in, there were two employees at the desk, but one was chatting with other staff, so I had to wait for service. The room was clean and comfortable. I like that they have a bistro for drinks and light dinner in the lobby, but the prices for the wines are too high for the beverages offered. There are a few bars/restaurants within walking distance though. Starbucks for breakfast is another plus, but they don't open till 6:30 PM. I wish they opened just 30 minutes earlier. The minor annoyances are not enough to keep me from returning, but I just felt that they could do better.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MrJoelB
Al J, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Willow Grove, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
I apologize that your past stay was just okay. Please call the hotel when you have a minute and we can further discuss your stay. Thanks for choosing to stay at the hotel.
Killingworth, Connecticut
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I usually stay here Sunday nights if I have to travel to the area - for the most part due to location and friendly wknd staff.
Probably not now - the room I was in you can tell the housekeeping didn't "finish" - there was a used bar of soap and non-hotel cleanser in the shower, the toilet had stains on the base, the carpet had "vacuumable stuff" on it - the lamp and radio clock were unplugged and nightstand was away from the wall - and the sign for the door was under the sink.
While I normally would say this is an isolated incident - I have seen a decline in the hotel for past years (even after renovation)
It comes down to staff - some are great but others are not.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Al J, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Willow Grove, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
I apologize that you had a bad experience at the hotel. Please call the hotel when you have a moment to further discuss your stay. Thank You.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willow Grove
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove
Fairfield Inn & Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove
Hampton Inn Philadelphia / Willow Grove
Residence Inn Philadelphia Willow Grove
Days Inn Horsham Philadelphia
TownePlace Suites Philadelphia Horsham

Been to Courtyard Philadelphia Willow Grove? Share your experiences!