“Great camp!”
Review of Camp Woodward

Camp Woodward
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Not sure where amith1 was but my experience working at Camp Woodward (three years and going back for more) has been nothing but positive. The medical department is top notch and there are procedures in place to make certain kids get their meds when they need them. If parents specify at check in that the meds are necessary, i.e. the "seizure meds" she spoke of the kids are put on a list and if those kids don't show up at med time the counselors are sent out to look for them so miss amith1 is COMPLETELY WRONG when she says kids go without important prescription meds. Meals are typical summer camp food. Face it, it's not a 5-star resort. Also, regarding missing meal times - maybe your child should be taught some responsibility and not rely on being told when he has to be at meal time. Is he able to read a watch?? I'd take her review with a grain of salt...seeing her other reviews on this site I've come to the conclusion that she's just hard to please

7  Thank Kevin G
There are newer reviews for Camp Woodward

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My son and I spent a week there, him as a scooter rider, me as a nurse. If you have kids who need medications, this is an unsafe situation as it is not done legally. It was only because I recognized some medications as seizure meds that they were given, otherwise if your kid doesn't show up for pills, he/she doesn't get them. It would be a good deal to barter nursing services for a week of camp if you didn't risk losing your nursing license to do it. As for my son, he missed many meals because they do not announce them and there are no clocks. The meals are marginal at best. No oversight, the counselors who were there were somewhat scary. The guy running the place is simply rude, and has no business being around kids. The counselors are extremely overworked and exhausted. by day 3 my son was dehydrated, exhausted and looked like he was going to fall over. Red bull was handed out for free to kids, as well as them being able to buy it. As wonderful as the skatepark is, it's just a bad situation.

10  Thank amith1
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I was looking at these reviews, and some of them just pissed my off. This camp is, without a doubt, the most fun place any type of skater or bmxer could ever be. Yes, if you have an overly sensitive kid who is horrible at skateboarding. They're not gonna have a good time. Theres so much freedom here and that's what makes it great. I was kind of scared before my first time after reading some of these reviews. After I was done my week at the camp I realized they were complete bull#%I&. Don't listen to them. Do EVERYTHING you possibly can to come here if you're at least decent at skateboarding / bmxing. Trust me, it is worth every penny.

14  Thank skaterwithaboard
Reviewed 10 August 2013

camp woodward does have an amazing facility. seemed like a great place to send our son for gymnastics. I asked lots of questions and discussed structure of camp w/ lady in the main office. seemed like there was good instruction and good supervision. WAS I WRONG! I am horrified that I actually let my 10yr old stay at a camp with so little supervision. even as I dropped him off I had a very uneasy, uncomfortable feeling about his counselor. other than mandatory gymnastics sessions, the rest of the day was at "his will". I don't think anyone knew where he was all day and was hoping to see him show up for the 11pm lights out. he even missed dinner the first night because he didn't know it was time to eat. no clocks anywhere. no announcements, no one making sure he was where he needed to be. he said gymnastics coaches gave lots of good corrections, but felt there wasn't as much spotting as he gets in his home gym. he did spend many days attending the extra sessions. also, I was told go carts had a height req. of 48". he was so excited to do them only to find it was 54". he spent his time away from the gym just walking around by himself watching kids in the skate/bike parks. while driving home, and asking him what he spent $70 on for the week, I came to learn he ate lots of candy bars, soda, and even purchased a red bull---yes! red bull---- because a boy in his cabin asked for one but ran out of money. WHO SELLS A 10yr OLD A RED BULL?????!!!!!! I also found out (since his gymnastics cabin had boys 10-15yrs old, some kids had iphone/pads and were watching American pie. hmmm. where is the counselor for all of this????

16  Thank ktwcfw
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My son has attended Woodward for a few years now and just loves it. The facilities for skaters are amazing, and it's a great place for the kids to have a community of their own (especially when skaters in some communities are often looked down upon). The only complaint I have (mentioned by someone else), is that the dinner time of 4-6 p.m. is way too early. At the end of camp, my son complains about trying to get to the cafeteria in time, only to find it closed. Especially troubling is that he's a vegetarian who has a tough time finding things to eat, and he loses weight everytime he attends Woodward because he can't get enough at the snack bar (which is also expensive). It's frustrating to get calls for more money for food when we've already paid out a large sum for camp tuition, in which 3 meals are included but rarely eaten due to the hours served.

4  Thank cmackie