“Nostalgic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wyalusing
Strasburg
“Nostalgic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I was really looking forward to staying in the old hotel, since my daughter and I had gone by it back in the 70's and we had said we wish someone would buy it and fix it up. I then saw it on the "Bed and Breakfast" site and since my husband and I were going up that way, I persuaded him to make reservations for us for two nights. I expected the furnishings to be more Victorian, but they were just "old" The carpets were indoor-outdoor on the bedroom floors and the bed was not at all comfortable. Way to soft and squishy. It could have been decorated much better. Cheap bedding and curtains. I expected more. The help were all very nice and helpful. The continental breakfast was adequate and readily replenished. We loved the balcony!!! The food was very good also. It is expensive to redo an old run-down hotel, and I am just glad someone is keeping it up somewhat. Yes, I would stay there again, but my husband would not. He just isn't the adventurous type.

Room Tip: If you want comfort, book into the new section. Also, room 27 in the old hotel is the best and bigg...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Wyalusing
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

No microwave. No coffee or coffee pot. No curtains. It smells like rotting Chinese dry wall. My bed feels like it is going to fall apart. Oh and you better get there during normal business hours if you want to actually get into the building and your room. The towels feel like sandpaper and are questionable if they are even clean. Spend the extra 15 minutes driving to towanda or wysox and spend your money on a real hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Mrdenali

Travellers are raving about these Wyalusing hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Wyalusing Hotel last September on our way out to Niagara Falls on a motorcycle trip. We had booked a room there based on a previous stay around 15 years ago, which was a very pleasant experience. This place may have changed owners since then.

We called to reserve a room and were given one of the rooms in the inner part of the hotel because it would not be located above the restaurant/bar which can get a bit rowdy. This room had skylights but no windows. It was not great but acceptable.

The room rate included a continental breakfast, which was basically not acceptable. When we went to where the breakfast was supposedly located, the coffee urns were empty. There were a few pieces of fruit and a few danish in cellophane. Great. We had to call the restaurant to find whoever was responsible for maintaining the breakfast area. Turns out the room staff were supposed to do that. When two of them finally appeared, they went to get coffee and other breakfast items and returned. The coffee was cold, as well as their attitude. Not good.

In all fairness, the restaurant had some redeeming qualities. The food was fine, the waitstaff were pleasant, and that part of the stay was ok.

If you're thinking about staying here, you might want to do your research.

Room Tip: Try to reserve a room facing the street, not above the restaurant.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Montrose, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

We were trying to find somewhere to go on Mother's Day and take both of our mothers out for dinner after church, but we didn't want to drive an hour to get to the city. I remembered that a few years ago we had a good meal at the Wyalusing Hotel, so we decided to give it a try. With 2 days notice, they were able to give us a 2:30 reservation for 7 people. We arrived a few minutes early and were seated immediately. Six of us had the Mother's Day buffet, while my son had a burger platter. We were able to make a wonderful salad, cold shrimp, choice of soups, nice selection of breads and desserts, plus many hot items such as pork, chicken, nice potatoes, vegetables, and breaded shrimp. It was all-you-could-eat and we were certainly full when we left. Our waitress was attentive and nice and did a good job. I would go back again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

They have great food, and it is a very pleasant atmosphere when I stayed here recently. I like the historic look of everything and the room I stayed in was clean and pretty cozy. The decor of the place was warm and inviting and I found the staff to be friendly and attentive when I went to and from my room. They were especially helpful with directions to anywhere I needed to go in the area. I did enjoy the complementary continental breakfast and the staff was pretty good and filling. What I like the most is how convenient the location is and its right in town and overall has a great atmosphere. I personally like staying in older unique places that have history and character to them. Sure they are not always going to be up to date but it is what it is. What you get out of this place is a comfortable, pleasant experience, and frankly I have no complaints and recommend staying here.

Room Tip: I was able to find some weekly specials on their website before I stayed. Check them out if you plan...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Montville, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

This appears to be a neat old building from the outside, dated 1895. The bar / resturant in the rear (down a few steps from the hotel lobby), is a nice local "dive bar" with acceptable food, and reasonably priced drinks. BUT, BE WARNED WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO. The rooms in the hotel do not meet any type of standards if you are used to Bed & Breakfast establishments. They are more like your old mom & pop highway hourly rate places. The rooms must be accessed by exiting the Hotel and entering another door which is left UNLOCKED ALL NIGHT. The quaint old building on examination has been let go and in need of restoration and paint. The price they charge for a room of this caliber is a disgrace!.......The next item will amaze you ! ! ! After checking in, and paying in advance by credit card, I had something to eat and retired to my room. Awakening at 1:30 in the morning; I found the 1965 model air-conditioner had gone off and there were no working lights in the room, nor in the hallway, the stairs, anywhere.....NO ELECTRICITY! ......The lobby and bar were locked, no one on duty anywhere. In the morning only the housekeeper was available. I departed by 8:30 am.....not soon enough. Speaking with the owner by phone latter that day, he essentially said: Too Bad ! ! ! Stating that there were notes in room telling that the electric would be out that night as the town infrastructure was being repaired, HE HAD NO RESPONSE TO WHY NO WARNING WAS GIVEN BY THE STAFF BEFORE RUNING THRU THE CREDIT CARD, AND CHECKING IN. These people have no business running a hotel and jeprodizing the safety and comfort of guests without any warning..... I am a 65 year old man having traveled for decades both alone, and at times with my family, throughout the US, hundreds of thousands of miles. This is the first negative review I have ever written.

Room Tip: Avoid this establishment.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel - four of us in two rooms. The good news is that everyone was very friendly. The rooms were clean and for the most part comfortable, but the rooms were a bit shabby - peeling wallpaper, broken towel bar in bathroom, very noisy a/c. There is no smoking in the rooms (a good thing) but the hallway smelled of smoke, I guess due to the porch being a smoking area. The continental breakfast was also a bit lacking - 1 bottle of OJ that the four of us had to split, and some so-so muffins, and a few yogurts. The breads they served in the restaurant were quite good - they should have served them at the breakfast. No one around at checkout time to address concerns - in fact, the main part of the hotel was closed in the morning. For what we paid for the two rooms, I would have expected a LOT more.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyalusing
Hotel Harrington
Paradise Inn & Suites
Paradise Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Towanda
The Prince Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Wyalusing Hotel? Share your experiences!