“making a reservation means nothing”
Review of Inn at Reading

Inn at Reading
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wyomissing
A TripAdvisor Member
altoona, pa.
Reviewed 11 July 2006

I attended a wedding at the Inn at Reading on July 8,2006. I made reservations on Sept. 13, 2005 for a non smoking room. I was told that I did not have to give a credit card number as long as I would be there before 3pm. I subsequently called and gave my credit card number as I wanted to be sure of the room since I had made my reservations so early. I confirmed the reservations that I had requested a non smoking room for one night. We arrived at the Inn at 1:30 and were given a key to a room that was not in the same building as the bridal party. When we got to the room, I found out that it was not a non smoking room. I called the desk and asked what the problem was. The clerk responded in a very rude way that we had arrived too early as check in was at 3 pm. I told her that we would have been willing to wait for our room to which she responded that we would have been given the same room anyway. The room smelled terribly of smoke and, as I have asthma, it was not a good situation for me. I brought up the fact that I had reservations and was told that it didn't matter. If a guest decided to stay an extra night, they would not be told that the room had been reserved and I lost my reservation for that room. After a lot of arguing and being told to wait a minute which turned into about a half hour, we were promised a room and I was asked in a rude way if I could wait in the room until our new room would be ready since I had asthma. We did wait in the lobby and no appologies were given to us. I will never stay at the Inn again since it is impossible to be sure of the room that I have reserved.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 13 April 2006

My husband and I stayed at the "Inn at Reading" for 2 nights last month and I have to tell you that this place is the true definition of a outdated DUMP! We walked into the hotel lobby, which had a country club feel, but once you leave the lobby, all feelings (and odors) change. We walked down at least 5 different hallways to get to our room. Along this walk we encountered the odors of curry, stale feet, horrible flatulence, and at one point a very sharp and penetrating odor of burning toastbread and hair. Very odd and disturbing!

We finally got to our room and when we opened the door, a pungent odor of wet socks filled our nostrils. It was so strong that I had to grasp the wall in order to remain on my feet. The room was fine, other than the smell, except the toilet had an unusual pink ring around the top of the seat. Very peculiar. We found our way back to the bar that evening and my husband nearly broke his neck while missing a step and crashing to his knees inside the "dungeon-like" dark bar area.

All-in-all, I believe that this place was probably nice about 10 years ago, but it needs to be remodeled and is in dire need of a fumigation service.

• Stayed: February 2006
10  Thank ripcurled1
Reviewed 28 February 2006

We chose the Inn at Reading b/c it was the only "4 Star" hotel in Reading. Perhaps 20 years ago, but the Inn is firmly entrenched in 3 Star status.

We had an executive suite (husband's business trip) and it was large with a very comfortable bed. It also had two separate sink/mirror areas which made it easy for multiple people to get ready at the same time.

Provided with the room cost was breakfast and a cocktail. My trip to the dining room was a long, arduous one. I literally walked through 4 or 5 corridors to get there, each one separated by a door that locks behind you. It was a little scary. My medieval castle experience was completed when I saw the old style pictures of a young boy and young girl adorning the walls next to the dining room restrooms. Ever see those portraits in dark castles where the eyes are secretly following you? Yeah!

The breakfast buffest was adequate, I got to make my own belgium waffle which was a treat, but the dining room was very dark and and seats/booths not particularly comfortable.

I later visited the bar for my free cocktail and was joined by smokers. Being from Florida, where no one can smoke indoors anymore (incl. any establishment that serves food), I was a bit disconcerted by this, but I recognize its not the Medieval Inn's fault. The service staff was pleasant, but not particularly friendly or helpful.

The best part of the Medieval Inn was they happened to be hosting a Cat Show the Friday we were there. I am a huge cat fan and this gave me a very enjoyable way to spend the afternoon while I waited for my hubby to finish work.

All in all, its not a bad place to stay if you have to stay in Reading, PA. The price is right, rooms are nice and the food is good enough. Just prepare to be a little creeped out by the ambience.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business
7  Thank FlyersKitty
Reviewed 30 November 2005

My son and I stayed at the Inn at Reading Friday-Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend for a hockey tournament. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet, and the furnishings and equipment were in pretty good shape, but overall the experience was just OK.

Check-in was not a problem and was accomplished pretty quickly. We had a non-smoking room with 2 double beds. Starbucks Coffee in the room -- plus points for that.

The biggest glitch came when I tried to order room service breakfast on Friday evening for Saturday morning. I dialed the extension shown in the hotel information binder, and the woman I spoke to told me I would have to call back Saturday morning. That kind of defeats the entire purpose of room service, so I persisted and was finally handed off to a man who seemed to know what he was talking about. He couldn't take my order either, though; I had to put it on one of those doorknob hangers, which we did not have in the room. He arranged to have one sent up, at which point I found that the menu choices on the doorknob hanger didn't match those in the info binder.

Food was OK and was delivered within the specified time window (barely), but the selection wasn't great and the cost was ridiculous ($34 for breakfast for two).

We didn't use any of the facilities, so I can't comment on them.

Checkout was automatic, with the statement slipped under the door.

Overall -- there are lots of choices, and no compelling reason to choose or not choose the Inn at Reading.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2005

I read all the online reviews I could find, and thought that I was making a good choice with the Inn. The Inn was a dump and I would not recommend it to anyone. You expected everything to be dirty, not just the carpets. Luckily we didn't see any bugs, although I would not have been suprised if one had surfaced. Service was just o.k. The breakfast needs to be complimentary, because it's not worth the price they charge. Not a terrible experience, but not the greatest hotel experience either.

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank Jenise S
A TripAdvisor Member
Deposit, NY
Reviewed 21 March 2005

We had a great trip to Reading and part of it was the hotel. We had the Sweethearts package one night, which provided us with ammenities such as champagne, roses, chocolate covered strawberries and other fruit. It made the evening special.

The room was nicely equipt for the price. It wasn't fancy, but we didn't pay a lot either. It had nice robes, a king sized bed and was oversized.

It was also conveniently located for shopping and eating.

• Stayed: March 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 March 2005

I was at this hotel for a seminar in Feb 05 the place was dirty, & smokey. The front desk was rude. I would do my home work before coming to Reading. There are other hotels. This hotel has gone down hill
it use to be nice. Now its just a dump.

• Stayed: February 2005, travelled on business
3  Thank pjdz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyomissing
Days Inn Reading Wyomissing
#1 of 7 in Wyomissing
Hampton Inn Reading/Wyomissing
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wyomissing
Courtyard Reading Wyomissing

Been to Inn at Reading? Share your experiences!