“House of Horrors”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in York
Reviewed 29 November 2011

There is nothing even remotely redeemable about this horrible hotel in the heart of downtown York, PA. That the Choice Hotels group has done nothing to compel upgrade or remove its flag is shocking.
Rooms are filthy, bedding soiled and torn. Refrigerators are caked with old food, and there is a smell in the rooms of must and mold.
Door locks are broken, perhaps by design. I have stayed here three times by necessity and each time was worse. Bags are riffled and belonging missing.
The management and staff are cold and rude and appear to be amused by complaint. Be careful with your credit card as I have had odd charges that were removed after argument and threat of police involvement.
This old, run down relic of a hotel truly needs a bull dozer rather then makeover. Worst hotel experience ever, anywhere.
TO BE AVOIDED!

• Stayed: December 2010
4  Thank travelinman47

Reviewed 1 November 2011

At a little more than $40 a night for a king bed, in the downtown area of York, I didn't expect much. But we were very pleasantly surprised. The room was clean, nicely furnished, and functional and the price just couldn't be beat. Anxious to return so that we can experience some more of the neighborhood's restaurants and culture.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have been renovated, but to make sure - ask for a NEWER room. Plan ahead for...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karenandgrady
Reviewed 18 June 2011

I have stayed at this motel on several occassions while visiting family. Luckily, I basically only sleep here, so the price is OK for that. It is clean, but looks dumpy. The walls are thin, so if Chico and Juanita are getting into it, you'll hear every word. I always ask for non-smoking; this time I got put into a room that obviously had a smoker in it, they tried to cover it up with some stuff that smells like the stuff they used when we were in elementary school to cover up barf smell.

It is close to the fashionable area of town (if there is such a thing in York), and only a couple of blocks from the bike trail (13 miles to the Howard tunnel and back). The Central Market is just down the street, which is helpful if you want anything for breakfast other than coffee and raisin bran.

My wife will NOT stay here, so I only stay here solo when I visit my Mom in the nursing home or hospital.

Bottom line...luxury...nada! Cheap place to flop if you leave the TV on all night to drown out the noise.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank townie57
Reviewed 17 April 2011

The lobby (and room) smelled like an antiseptic urinal cake. The stairs up to the 2nd floor room were covered in layers of crusted brown filth. The room had two beds covered with bedspreads so filthy they could not have been laundered since their purchase sometime in the 1960s. The mattress and boxsprings of both beds had black stains extending the entire length of both lumpy sagging sections. The pillows were almost non-existent, and also covered in unknown stains. Our feet stuck to the tile in the bathroom. There was a rodent hole chewed in the corner of the baseboard next to the bathroom door.

I could barely breathe, the odor was so bad. I started coughing and gagging and had to leave. The manager, who was outside smoking a cigarette, only shrugged his shoulders when we told him the room was not acceptable, and he offered no alternatives.

We handed him our room keys, and left. We are now in the process of trying to get our money back, but it doesn't look good.

Do not stay here. AARP should be ashamed of offering such a horrid hotel on their web site. This hotel was the most filthy, awful smelling place I have ever experienced in my entire life.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MaryLou62
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I booked a room here because I was attending a York Revolution baseball game. The hotel is only 2 blocks from the stadium. I was a bit leery, given the highly negative reviews of past years. However, I was pleasantly surprised! I paid $41, senior rate, practically flophouse rates these days. For this I got a quiet and clean room, a good chair and ottoman, a desk, free wireless internet, decent TV channels, a fridge and microwave, and even an iron. The locks worked fine, parking was not an issue, and there were no parties in the parking lot, as others have noted. Staff was pleasant. As other travelers have noted, the breakfast is pretty puny, but at that room price, I can go buy a nice breakfast up the block for $5 and still be ahead. The hotel is next door to one of York's best restaurants, the Left Bank and just down the block from an Irish tavern, the Valencia Ballroom, and the Strand-Capitol Performing Arts complex. The hotel is in downtown York, so things are a bit quiet at night and I would not stray too far away from the George Street corridor. However, I walked back from the ball game about 11:00 pm and had no fears. All in all, a good deal and convenient location.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank jwpColorado
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I was in York, PA to run a marathon. Not from Pennsylvania, I booked this hotel ahead of time due to the proximity to the beginning of the race. I arrived after dark and was very nervous about the area the hotel is located. Once I pulled into the parking lot, I was even more distressed about the people loitering on the grounds and on the balconcies of the outdoor access rooms. I did not feel safe, and ended up having to stay elsewhere. If you are going to York, please stay at a hotel off one of the major interstates.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank JillO402015
Reviewed 18 January 2010

This hotel is in downtown York, PA and has its own parking lot. Our king non-smoking room was clean and spacious. You get an ice bucket and plastic cups but no coffee pot. There was an ironing board, iron, and hairdryer in the room. Bathroom sick had enough counter space to set makeup bag but was not large. There was one big rolling desk chair in the room. It could use a second chair but I was satisfied with the room. Breakfast was muffins, danish, and cold cereal.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple