“Only a go if on a tight budget”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in York
Zwolle, The Netherlands
“Only a go if on a tight budget”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed here for a few nights due to some unforseen circumstances. I actually didn't have a budget so I had to go for the cheapest hotel around, which was the Rodeway Inn. Let me start with some positives. It is cheap and the room I stayed in was actually quite nice. I always had a good nights rest and I felt pretty good when I was in the room.

Then the downsides. You get what you pay for in terms of service and location. I read a few reviews saying the location is shady. Well, it really is. The parking lot is a breeding ground for who knows what and the activities of some of the guests is questionnable as well. Then again, when I was in the room I felt safe and I didn't notice any of the outside activities. So, just don't look out of the window. ;)

Then there's the service. The people behind the desk do not look professional at all and one of the has a bad knowledge of the English language. I am no native speaker as well and had difficulties understanding him. Maybe it is because I'm not from around but I'm pretty sure other non-native speakers would have problems with that as well.

Another problem was unnecessary charging of my CC. I paid with a prepaid creditcard and during our stay I suddenly received an email saying that my reservation had changed; instead of leaving sunday I would now leave friday. This changed the cost of my reservation and this was now $140, which was charged on my CC (on top of the other costs we already had paid). So this was charged about a week ago or so and it is still pending on my creditcard. Which is a problem because it's prepaid. We complained at the desk and they made it sound like it was just a minor mistake, like forgetting to give us new towels or whatever. I am actually pretty annoyed by this. They say they cancelled it and I believe them, but I am afraid I have to wait a few more days until the transaction is not pending anymore.

All in all I'd recommend this hotel only if you're on a really tight budget. If you're not, spend a little more and find a decent hotel around; there seem to be plenty.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bart v

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 July 2014

It seems that after having had a fire over a year ago the whole place has been remodeled and refurbished. It is not an elegant hotel, but the rooms are clean, well maintained and the king size bed was very comfortable. The temperature outside was hot, fortunately the in room air conditioned cooled the room very quickly. All rooms are now non-smoking and this policy is being enforced. The people working the front desk were friendly and courteous.
I was fortunate to have a room on the first floor, but for those on the 2nd and 3rd floors, there is a working elevator. The continental breakfast was simple but tasty.
The price was right, it was convenient, the rooms are well-maintained - I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Even with an elevator, I would recommend the 1st floor if you have a lot of baggae or equipment to u...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lighthouse Point, Florida
Reviewed 29 October 2012

This is my third stay, so my expectations were low. I stay here for location: it is quite close to a restaurant I like and just a bit over a mile from the York Fairgrounds.

Since I booked the room through Expedia didn't reward points for the stay. My own fault. Won't do that again.

Usually stay on the first floor and the rooms are OK, not nice, but OK for the price I had been paying. This time I was on the third floor (no elevator) and at my room wasn't nice.

When entering the room the light switch didn't turn on the light. The front desk clerk fixed it quick enough but the cleaning staff should have noticed.

The lamp between the beds wasn't clean. It had brown drops of something on the lamp shade and the pedestal. I've posted the photos.

The quilt on the bed had a cigarette burn in it. I was a no smoking room but the quilt had a few years on it so the burn is not likely to be recent.

The air vent in the bathroom was hanging down from the ceiling. I've posted a photo. The bathroom was clean enough.

I'm not picky or I wouldn't have come back. Cheap and clean is generally good enough for me. However, the room was in such disrepair, and especially the brown drops on the lamp shade and its stand is over the top. Guess I was lucky the first two visits. Not likely to make a fourth.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the ground floor with a single King size bed. That is where I had been stayin...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank EfficientFrontier

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Fall River, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 9 September 2012

The rooms were ok but needed some cleaning!!! Cobwebs in the corners, layers of dust on the lamp shade's, stained bed linen, mold in the shower and the shower head from hell. I guess you get what you pay for!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Cynthia B
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I should have read the reviews before booking the room. Upon entering the room at first glance it appeared clean and smelled okay. My wife and I were in town to visit the Harley manufacturing plant. we unloaded the bike and settled in. when we pulled back the comforter it was stained and had cigarette burns. figuring we would just pull the comforter off and sleep on the sheets we thought we would be okay. we took a brief nap and went to the White Rose restaurant, which by the way is highly recommended! when we returned people were loitering in the parking
lot and on the railings upstairs. They appeared to be permanent residence. Hearing for the safety of the motorcycle we kept the curtain slightly ajar. We didn't get much sleep as there was much
commotion all night. My wife woke up at
approximately 4 AM to use the bathroom. When she turned the light on roaches scattered. She woke me and wanted to leave. I convinced her to endure and wait until morning as we had no other options. when we awoke again at 6 AM there were roaches on the refrigerator in the bathroom and on the microwave. Since
we had only been eating in restaurants for our trip we had no food with us. I went
to the office to explain to the front desk what the problem was he seemed very unconcerned and almost accused me of lying. I explained to him he could find
dead roaches that I had killed in the bathroom in front of the fridge on the seal of the fridge and on the microwave. After
check out we went to the nearest laundry mat and washed everything we owned for fear of bringing their little friends home with us. So if you don't mind roaches,
drug dealers, prostitutes, permanent residents with grills on the deck, rude staff and a noisy atmosphere this might just be the place for you.

• Stayed July 2012
8 Thank Lloyd S
Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2012

The whole hotel smells like an airplane bathroom. There were several amoeba shaped brown stains on my mattress and curly hairs in the sink...do you need me to go on? I guess for $50 a night it should be no surprise.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family